Best of 2019?

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by wokeupnew, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Melancholy_Melody

Melancholy_Melody Well-Known Member

Sharon Van Etten has gone in a new direction with her new album and I am here for it. Really digging it. Maggie Rogers is growing on me as well.

As far as 2019 goes, I'm most looking forward to (so far) The Cure, Vampire Weekend, and Julia Jacklin. I also have a feeling that Of Monsters and Men will be releasing something, based on their social media.

2. wokeupnew

wokeupnew Well-Known Member

I really did not like everything Girlpool had done up until now. I love me some twee/indie pop, but their first album was SO BAD. It just sounded terrible.

That being said their new album is significantly better. I was on the fence when I saw people talking it up. It was @Padfoot24's comment on a stereogum article about it that convinced me. He may not be active on here anymore but is still influential :p

Darin Star Boogie and lee newman like this.
  3. McGlam

McGlam Well-Known Member

So far my favorite things this year have been the new Deerhunter and Twilight Sad albums.

I really like The Delines too, I need to go back to it.

SVE always has good songs I’m curious about her new direction. I’ve heard a couple songs but not the whole thing.

4. BjorgenFjorgen

BjorgenFjorgen Well-Known Member

I missed it last Friday, but the new William Tyler record, Goes West, is really nice so far.

5. Bad Andy

Bad Andy Well-Known Member

I'm really enjoying the new Authority Zero album, Persona Non Gratta. It is a bit of a different direction for them, but sounds really good.

Looking forward to the new Mickey Rickshaw album out in February. The first single is really good. They are such a fun band to see live. Hope to see them again later this year.

lee newman likes this.
  6. CAPacelli

CAPacelli Well-Known Member

New Toro Y Moi started things off pretty great, looking forward (in Q1) to

Flight Of The Conchords - Live In London
    Karen O and Danger Mouse - Lux Prima
    L.A. Witch - Octubre (released 11/1 last year, but vinyl is hitting in March)
    Strand Of Oaks - Eraserland
    Brant Bjork - Jacoozzi (FINALLY!!!!!!)

lee newman likes this.
  7. twentytwo

twentytwo Well-Known Member

Here my top two so far from this year. The year is so early though. Lots of records I'm looking forward to.

1. Pedro The Lion-Phoenix
    2. Mandolin Orange - Tides of a Teardop

Matt M, GritNGlitter and lee newman like this.
  8. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

The new Beirut album is pretty nice. I think it'll definitely take some more listens to grow on me, but I certainly enjoy it already. It's an improvement from the last LP. But it's kind of a small sorta evolution in sound. It still very much sounds like Beirut, but there's something a bit different about it. More layered instrumentals, more fleshed out as an album too. I love love love The Rip Tide, and this one kinda reminds me of that, but yet it sounds fairly new all the same.

Also, don't know if there are Say Anything fans here, but they dropped a new album a couple of weeks ago. I loved Is A Real Boy when it came out, really enjoyed In Defense Of The Genre, but every since then I've been mostly disappointed. I don't dabble much in this genre anymore, but to me Say Anything always stood apart from the rest. Better lyrics, more interesting musical moments... The new one is the "last Say Anything album" and a sequel to Is A Real Boy. Apparently on that LP, lead singer Max Bemis was playing a character. This one follows up on that character, and...it's a pretty weird/sticky puddied up story. He's also taken out much of the instrumentals that made the band sound the way they do. The tracks are short, the songs mostly acoustic. I'd say to really appreciate it, you gotta read about the album first to understand the story. But once you do, it's easily the most interesting and engaging Say Anything album in a long, long time.

wooha and lee newman like this.
  9. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

Waited till I got a third listen with all my favorites this year, it’s early but these are contenders for top ten this year:

Mandolin Orange - Tears of a Teardrop
    James Blake - Assume Form
    Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow

10. The Ben

The Ben Well-Known Member

My personal favorites of the year so far:

Better Oblivion Community Center
    James Blake
    Juan Wauters
    21 Savage (technically 2018 but came out after I made my 2018 list)

The Sharon Van Etten and Toro y Moi albums have a chance to grow on me with more listens. I've only listened to the Lost Under Heaven album once so far, but I liked that one as well. Right now I'm very excited for the Vampire Weekend, Little Simz, and Jade Bird albums.

GritNGlitter, alspriet and Gjemle like this.
  11. Sodajerk

Sodajerk Well-Known Member

Best I've heard so far are the new Twilight Sad, Pedro the Lion, and Better Oblivion Community Center.

evanbenner, McGlam and alspriet like this.
  12. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

I should probably check out Pedro the Lion, I’ll spend a lot of time with Better Oblivion Community Center next month thanks to MRC. I’m also excited about the new Wild Reeds Record.

alspriet likes this.
  13. wokeupnew

wokeupnew Well-Known Member

This Beirut album is FANTASTIC. I’ve never been a huge Beirut fan but this one may have heightened his appeal. It’s combines memorable melodies like he did on The Rip Tide with jubilant horns that his first two albums were known by. An excellent listen.

14. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

Sharon Van Etten and Better Oblivion Community Center are the highlights so far for me. I’ve listened to them the most probably. But I’m excited about listening to Beirut more and more.

15. Woob_woob

Woob_woob Well-Known Member

The three best albums so far this year are by Conor Oberst, Pedro The Lion and Beirut. What stickying pudding year is it again? All 3 haven't put out albums as good as these in over a decade.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  16. twentytwo

twentytwo Well-Known Member

The Pedro album is amazing. I’m glad Bazan is getting back to what he does best which is make great rock albums.

17. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

I feel dumb for not knowing who Pedro the Lion is. What type of music are we talking about here?

18. Sodajerk

Really good Indie Rock/Sad Bastard Music.

Looking really forward to seeing them at Shaky Knees this Spring. I saw Bazan open for Julien Baker a year or so ago and he was tops.

19. Sodajerk

New Guided by Voices and White Lies are strong too.

evanbenner and Phaneronic like this.
  20. pijo

pijo Well-Known Member

It's been a great start to the year. SVE, Better oblivion, Cherry Glazzer, Mira Calix and Tiny Ruins have all been early highlights for me.

My standout is Josin - In the Blank Space - it just feels made for me and I have a feeling it will remain a favourite for years to come.

I'm very excited for Megan Washington's new LP some time this year - was initially slated for early last year. Not sure that will mean much to anyone outside of Australia but it should!

And in further delayed gratification news these Cardigans reissues have been a long time coming, one of the bands that first got me excited about music and had me going to my local CD store to make sure they would be getting the new album in and would call me when they got it in :)