Best Record Shops

Discussion in 'New York, NY' started by BradleySavannah, Jan 21, 2016.

1. TheWhale22

TheWhale22 Well-Known Member

Don't know it, but I generally avoid midtown like the plague. I'll have to check it out if I'm over there next time. Brooklyn still has a lot of great shops, but manhattan is pretty dead theses days. I was really bummed when Other Music closed last year - one of my favorite shops in the city. There's a pretty cool store a block away from there at like 3rd and Broadway that I don't even know the name of. It just has a sign that says "Records" and they also sell stereo equipment.

The_Stoned_Ape likes this.
  2. HardtoExplain

HardtoExplain Well-Known Member

I went there once on a lunch break. Terrible decision. 95% new overpriced hip hop/rap records and 5% garage sale quality used records. Ran by a cranky old lady. Barnes and Noble is a better "record store" than whatever that place is.

3. Shaz

Shaz New Member

totally disagree. It's a mom and pop shop for sure. probably the only one in the whole area since the area is so corporate now. you just need to know where to look for things in there. But the prices are fair, and they will offer to get you anything you want, and even will price match. also best shop for rsd. not crazy crowded and you leave with just about everything you were on the lookout for, without fighting a crowd to get it.

kvbordes and TheWhale22 like this.
  4. A Lost Highway

A Lost Highway Well-Known Member

Wait, why has no-one mentioned Turntable Lab yet? New location is pretty great. And they're the only people worth going to on RSD (unless you want to arrive at 5:00am to line up for Rough Trade).

Skalap likes this.
  5. Graveblocker

Graveblocker Active Member

Coming in here to plug Good Records in the east village, that's definitely my fav spot in the city, altho there are some Brooklyn places I need to hit more but I don't live in Brooklyn lol. Also big on A-1 Records, both Academy locations and I've started hitting up the physical TTL store more frequently cuz they got some nice reissues. I also was hype on Limited To One for a while in the east village but I'm starting to suspect them cuz what they sold as a first press copy of Painful by Yo La Tengo I'm pretty sure is a reissue.

Skalap likes this.
  6. combo

combo Active Member

Has anyone visited Norman's Sound and Vision in Brooklyn? I always see their discogs with competitive prices on items I want, was wondering if their in-store prices and selection are any different.

7. djdavedk

djdavedk Well-Known Member

made my first visit to Human Head in BK yesterday. Left with a nice little stack, good prices for what I got, owner cut me a discount cuz I'm from outta town (PA) and bought from them online a few times.

Nice $2 bins at the front, $5 bins in the back.

Kris likes this.
  8. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

If I remember well price and stock were more or less the same. I didn't bought any record there though.

Human Head was my favorite shop during my stay in NYC last June (and I spend like a complete day visiting record shops). If you are not afraid of walking a "little" bit, go to Greenpoint and visit the Record Grouch (one of my favorite) and The Thing across the street (deserves its name). Walking back to Williamsburg you can make several stops at Captured Tracks, Academy Records and Co-Op 87.

combo likes this.
  9. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

My favorites were :

*** Human Head Records / Williamsburg
    ** Record Grouch / Greenpoint
    ** Academy Records / Greenpoint
    ** Co-Op 87/ Greenpoint
    ** Rough Trade NYC / West Williamsburg
    ** A1 Record Shop / East Village
    ** Turntable Lab / East Village
    * Norman’s Sound & Vision / Williamsburg
    * Good Records / East Village
    * Academy Records / East Village

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Graveblocker, djdavedk and combo like this.
  10. djdavedk

djdavedk Well-Known Member

Not sure when I'll get up to Bk again, but gonna keep this list. Want to peep the Grouch and the others in Greenpoint.

Graveblocker and Skalap like this.
  11. Graveblocker

Funny enough, Record Grouch undersigns a radio show I do and gives the little group that runs the show credit to buy music, but I've never actually gone there lol. Really need to sometime but I'm always so tired and don't want to go to Greenpoint. I will say I do like A1 quite a bit but I've always found Good Records has a more constant rotation of things coming in that interests me personally and I live about 5 minutes away from each so visit em a lot, fwiw.

kvbordes and djdavedk like this.
  12. A Lost Highway

A Lost Highway Well-Known Member

I mean, this is pretty much everything there is at this point.

13. DavidA

DavidA The sun's not yellow, it's chicken

So, I have to go to Brooklyn for the good stores then?

14. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

Do you look for something special? If you want to dig, go to The Thing (take some plastic gloves and dust masks). I spent 5 minutes in there but it deserves a visit. Plus it's in front of Record Grouch.

15. DavidA

I'm looking for deep catalogue jazz. There's a place on 27th between 7th and 8th in Manhattan called the Jazz Records Warehouse and it's paradise. Although their pricing can be steep.

Skalap likes this.
  16. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

Was in my list but didn't went to that shop. I was more looking for "generalists" and particularly for hip-hop records I grew up with and are hard to find and/or very expensive in France.

Try Human Head first and then Greenpoint or East Village.

17. DavidA

Duly noted.

Skalap likes this.
  18. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

Hope you'll enjoy and find what you are looking for (and, most important, what you are not looking for).

I see you are from Miami, I'll spend 10 days in Florida next September (3 days in Miami), do you recommend any record shop, bar or place to go?

19. Graveblocker

I'm an East Village resident and my favorites are there, though I have been to Record Grouch since the last time I posted and they're great. Plus I bought an OG Jorge Ben album from Human Head recently so they definitely got the wares (can be steep tho). I'll always cape for Good Records, that's a store I go to and every time find something fantastic.

20. DavidA

I’m in Yorkville so it’s slim pickings in these parts. I guess I’ll money on down to the village again soon.

djdavedk and Graveblocker like this.