Bluetooth on older Reciever

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Colossus52, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Colossus52

Colossus52 New Member

Anyone have any experience with this product? I love me receiver, justvwant a decent option to occasionally stream music from my phone for my wife and myself.

2. Tinnitus

Tinnitus New Member

I purchased one about a year ago. It kept dropping the signal, so I sent it back. I would just grab a chromecast audio.

displayname and BjorgenFjorgen like this.
  3. bruggles

bruggles Well-Known Member

IMO, when it comes to bluetooth, I don't think it's worth spending a fortune on the receiver. Some claim to use special algorithms and what not to achieve some higher level of sound, but the reality is bluetooth has super limited bandwidth and there is a very low ceiling. So while a $10 dongle may not be ideal, you don't have to go crazy on one either.

RenegadeMonster and Corycm like this.
  4. BjorgenFjorgen

BjorgenFjorgen Well-Known Member

This times a million.

5. Kris

Kris Well-Known Member

I use an echo dot. The voice control is perfect for my home office. I can pause it in half a second with my voice.

It connects over wireless instead of Bluetooth and therefore is much more reliable. You could use it as a Bluetooth receiver too, but not sure it would send the sound out to your receiver or just play it over it’s own tinny speaker.

Sorry, no comment on what you’ve picked. It’s probably fine, I just agree with the others that Bluetooth is finicky.

6. Colossus52

Colossus52 New Member

I have an older Vector Research VR 2500 receiver. How would I go about hooking up a chromecast to it?

7. bruggles

Just use something like this... Chromecast wouldn't work for you.

8. BjorgenFjorgen

If you have a spare aux/tape input, just get an RCA to 3.5mm cable for the Chromecast Audio. Then using an app, you hook up the Chromecast to your Wi-Fi network and music will stream directly from your dongle, using your phone/tablet/computer as a remote. I use mine every day on an older receiver.

Colossus52 and Tinnitus like this.
  9. bruggles

I don't think I was aware (or completely overlooked) that the Chromecast had an auxiliary output.

Definitely go this route if possible... ignore my above post! lol. Anytime you can avoid bluetooth, do it.

10. BjorgenFjorgen

We're talking about the Chromecast Audio, not the regular video one. That just has HDMI.

displayname likes this.
  11. bruggles

Oooohhhh yeeaah... I totally forgot that existed! Thanks.

As an aside, since I have an iPhone and Apple Music, I've been planning on buying a Raspberry Pi and turning it into a standalone AirPlay adapter. It's relatively simple, but the rabbit hole there is the DAC... options are broad, as is the cost of them. Just depends on the application though I suppose. (The original reason for me looking into this was to turn a player piano I have into a digitally controlled one since it costs like $3k to get a modern controller and only $100-ish to slap a RPi on it. Interesting stuff... haha)

BjorgenFjorgen likes this.
  12. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

0CA1F716-E53A-4965-BD03-51F27AD88A00.jpeg I made this out of a pi3, a hifiberry dac + (the case is also one of theirs) and an sd card flashed with Volumio. Is a brilliant airplay device, can be hooked up to a nas for a music library and there is a software plug in to make it a Spotify connect device. Can’t speak highly enough about it and not that expensive when compared with the alternatives. I have it hooked up with an Ethernet cable but I’d say a pi3+ with the improved ac Wifi wouldn’t need that.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  13. SKOT_FREE

SKOT_FREE Well-Known Member

Way to go Macgyver! people that can do this kind of stuff just Amaze me!

displayname and JoeMac7 like this.
  14. JoeMac7

Haha!! It’s not that difficult all the pieces literally snap together and you put the software on an sd card!! My amazement is completely reserved for the guy who developed the software!!

displayname likes this.
  15. jmkeuning

jmkeuning Member

I have a similar set up but I’m running the hifiberry digi+, optical out to a dac into analog preamp. I run a Logitech media server on a desktop one the client on the hifiberry. There is free software to manage the client/server but I went with the $25 max2play software which is fantastic. This setup,lets me play Spotify on my phone and sent it to the analog system through the dac.

I picked this after using some of the Bluetooth solutions which I hated because they connect automatically and were taking over at really inopportune times.

16. JoeMac7

Yeah it’s a very similar set up, I just wasn’t interested in having a DAC as yet another compenent, the HiBerry DAC+ got enough good reviews, and now sounds good enough to me, that it didn’t seem worthwhile to get a DIGI+ and an separate dac. That said I’d have gone for the DAC+ pro if it existed when I built mine for the onboard re-clocking.

Is the max2play worth the money? I find Volumio to be so good as a free product that I never considered the paid for alternatives, and I wasn’t interested in a squeeze server/squeeze player set up because there is no need for multi room in my little flat, I just open the doors!!

17. cheeseman

cheeseman Member

Any idea how these DACs compare to the onboard DAC of the Chromecast Audio?

18. JoeMac7

It’s night and day, they’re miles better.

I had a chromecast audio before this device and this sounds miles better although to be honest the main reason I swapped was that I’m in apples echo system for phones/computers so I found chromecast to be a bad match.

The better sound was a pleasant side effect.

cheeseman likes this.
  19. JoeMac7

That is using one of these HiBerry (or other company) add on i2s DACs. The onboard DAC on the pi is appalling.

cheeseman likes this.