Books, Books, Books!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jake!, May 11, 2015.

1. BjorgenFjorgen

BjorgenFjorgen Well-Known Member

Yep, just on the desktop site though, I think.

Nathaniel D. and Thackeraye like this.
  2. ericj32

ericj32 Well-Known Member

Isn't $200 a lot though? Haha I got excited because I thought this was a photo of your bookshelf at home

Nathaniel D. and BjorgenFjorgen like this.
  3. BjorgenFjorgen

Haha yeah, it's a tonne, especially considering I already own most of those books. But it would be a great gift idea for sure.

I *wish* my bookshelves at home looked like that.

Nathaniel D. and ericj32 like this.
  4. ericj32

ericj32 Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering if part of the cost is that they're custom editions of the actual books (like Folio Society). It seems crazy to charge $200 if all you're paying for are custom dust jackets and the rest of the book is the same as a $15-20 copy you could get at Barnes and Noble. But their website doesn't really show you anything except the dust jackets, so it kind of implies that that's what they're doing.

There's part of me that's tempted to pay $195 for the Steinbeck set in order to find out for sure, though.:D

Tyr, Nathaniel D. and BjorgenFjorgen like this.
  5. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

Finished 11/22/63. It was quite a good ride and a fairly manageable read considering the length. Much easier to tackle than IT. However, I sometimes felt the writing wasn’t all that great. Plot-wise, yes, it keeps up the momentum and makes you want to keep writing. But in places there are moments I felt the writing was lacking in...something. Ending-wise, I liked most of it. The climax and what immediately follows is really great. What happens after that, in the final few pages didn’t do as much for me as I hoped it would. Ultimately, much like IT, I enjoyed the experience of reading this, but there are aspects that don’t totally land.

And now I’m off to watch the mini-series.

6. Bull Shannon

Bull Shannon Well-Known Member

Now go read Libra by DeLillo!

BenMal likes this.
  7. Selaws

Selaws Well-Known Member

Thought I would share some record/music related books I read over the past year.

Records Never Die - Eric Spitznagel A great concept. Eric sold all the records that he had during his teenage/college years and tries to hunt them down and re-buy them (as in....the actual ones he owned). Has a great ending (no spoilers) where he gets his old friends together and the reminisce.

Mo’ Meta Blues - Questlove A perfect book for any Roots fans. Questlove has had an incredible career and his life certainly reflects it. Theres tons of references/stories of other artists/bands that he has encountered over the years, Common, Erykah Badu, Prince, Kiss, etc.

33 1/3 - Swordfishtrombones (Tom Waits) - David Smay A real deepdive into Tom Waits' Swordfishtrombones. You really only want to read this if you are a really big fan and know the record well, its a great read if you do. Not a big book but definitely packs a lot in, and certainly makes you want to re-listen to the album.

Tim Book Two Vinyl Adventures From Istanbul to San Francisco - Tim Burgess Another great concept from the lead singer of The Charlatans. He asks a number of his friends (many of which are famous in their own right) to choose 1 album he should have on vinyl. He then travels across the world and seeks out these records from shops (rather than ordering online). Its a very easy to read book and is broken down per record/friend.

Vinyl Junkies: Adventures in Record Collecting - Brett Milano Brett explores the world of record collecting and interviews a vast number of collectors (including musicians such as Peter Buck, Thurston Moore, etc). He also talks about the history of the format, with reference to specific labels, rare records, etc.

Storms: My life with Lindsay Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac - Carol Ann Harris A really great read for fans of Fleetwood Mac. Carol Ann Harris dated (and was engaged) to Lindsay Buckingham during Fleetwood Mac's heyday and provides a detailed, behind the scenes report of what it was like to tour with them. Its a super intimate insight and really revealing. Lots of unexpected events.

I Am Ozzy - Ozzy Osbourne Theres not much I really need to say about this. Its a hilarious read from start to finish and details Ozzy's life, from pre-sabbath days to his solo career, family life, alcohol and drug abuse, etc. A really fun book!

Uncut Ultimate Music Guide - Tom Waits Technically a magazine but packs a ton of info. Its made up of new and old reviews of Tom Waits' albums, interviews, oddities. Great if you want to properly explore Tom Waits' music but are not sure where to start, the change in style, etc.

Last Shop Standing: Whatever Happened to Record Shops - Graham Jones A great look into the history of the UK record shops from the viewpoint of a distributor and collector. Theres also a follow up book (which I have but have yet to start). Definitely a worth while read for the Brits among us.

To Live’s To Fly: The Ballad Of The Late, Great Townes Van Zandt - John Kruth I deep dived into TVZ's discography and life after he was announced as the ROTM back in October. He's an amazing artist and had an incredible life (with a lot of up and a ton of downs). Quite a chunky book if I remember correctly but a great read and worth getting If you want to learn more about his as an artist, inspirations, personal life, etc. Starts slow but builds up quite nicely.

Uncut Ultimate Music Guide - Queen Same format as the Tom Waits guide. If you are a big Queen fan then this might not reveal too much (I personally didn't learn much more than I already knew), however the interviews are great and its interesting to see how the critics reaction changed over time.

High Fidelity - Nick Hornby After seeing the film a hundred times I decided to read the book. If you like the film then I would recommend the book for sure. While the general story is the same there are a lot of new scenes and as a whole its a really funny read. There is a great scene (omitted from the film) where a lady tries to sell him a box of super rare 7" for a few quid and he tries telling her how rare they are and offers hundreds of pounds. She refuses as they are her estranged husbands and wants to hit him where it hurts by selling them cheap.

Lowside of the road: A Life of Tom Waits - Barney Hoskyns A behemoth biography of Tom Waits. I would really only recommend this if you are a big Tom Waits fan, there's plenty of other books if you are a new listener. A super detailed and cohesive insight into Toms life. Worth mentioning that this book wasn't sanctioned by Waits (his keeps his private life very sheltered and rarely agrees to interviews) and the notes at the end contain a long list of emails from friends & colleagues rejecting Hoskyns interview request after they spoke about it to Tom.

8. haydee

haydee Well-Known Member

This is a neat post. Also, there's a deleted clip of this scene that I guess didn't make the final cut. Also, there's a stray reference to this scene in the film; John Cusack's on the phone like "Yeah, sure. I'm interested. What's your address?" or something. But then he never goes anywhere. Because this scene was cut.

... I have seen this movie before.

NateOEB and BjorgenFjorgen like this.
  9. Selaws

Selaws Well-Known Member

Its such a fantastic film! I've only ever seen a copy I downloaded a while back, might have to go down a youtube rabbithole and see if I can find any of these deleted scenes!

haydee likes this.
  10. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

I remember the deleted scene too. I love the movie. One summer I watched it like...20 different times and never tired of it. Then I read the book in just about two days. It’s one of my favorites.

Nathaniel D. and haydee like this.
  11. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

You just said the magic words! FOLIO SOCIETY!!!

I am a big fan of their releases as well. And I cannot remember if it is @nolady or @GritNGlitter who is also a big FS fan but really....we all SHOULD be!

Also, both my BOTM Club book and Powell's Indiespensable books are en route!

12. Jake!

Jake! Well-Known Member

thanks for quoting my first post, I hadn't read it in a while. the first part of it was referencing another thing that happened in a different thread when there were like maybe 30 or so active users on here, and now it doesn't make any sense and is weird hahah. I have now removed it.

also my favorite book is no longer The Fountainhead.

Tyr and GritNGlitter like this.
  13. BjorgenFjorgen

Folio Society books are pretty as hell but I cannot in a million years ever imagine buying one.

14. GritNGlitter

GritNGlitter Well-Known Member

It's me! It's me! I love Folio Society books. I can only justify the expense for myself occasionally, for the books of my heart, but they make unparalleled gifts too.
    I am sorry you cannot imagine Joy. :(:cry::p
    Why not?

ericj32, Tyr, nolady and 1 other person like this.
  15. BjorgenFjorgen

I don't know what it's like in the US or the UK but for us they're all like $70+, minimum. (Also I generally don't like to read hardcovers, so there's also that.)

ericj32 and GritNGlitter like this.
  16. GritNGlitter

I can certainly understand that (I hope it was clear that I was joking). Yeah, a lot of them are priced that way. I usually wait for sales, though they usually have a few offerings in the vicinity of $45 as well. I reserve it for really special volumes that I want in my library, and I don't mind spending for gifts on occasion.

17. GritNGlitter

Nathaniel D., Tyr and BjorgenFjorgen like this.
  18. indiemisanthrope

indiemisanthrope Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to have to buy Three Men in a Boat. I'm not big on "live laugh love"-style word art in homes, but I do have a quote from that book prominently displayed in my house. It's one of my favorites. So thanks for forcing me to spend $75 on yet another copy, you wonderful jerks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Nathaniel D., ericj32, Tyr and 3 others like this.
  19. GritNGlitter

Wonderful.

20. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

Yay!!! I partially remembered correctly :)

What a wonderful way to express that; books of the heart. We should start a "Books of the Heart" list in this thread so we can all see what moves each of us and maybe discover a new one that moves us too!

I also give FS gifts during Christmastime. A few years ago I bought 3-4 copies of the FS edition of Marcus Auerlieus' Meditations and I've been giving them as gifts to my mentors since then.

Nathaniel D. and GritNGlitter like this.