Continental Europe

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Jan, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Melt Face Molly Drop

Melt Face Molly Drop Well-Known Member

I will be visiting Europe in a month or so. Does anyone have any recommendations for music-related sights to see in Amsterdam, Brussels, Munich or Paris? Record stores, venues, museums, etc.

2. phramenma

phramenma Well-Known Member

Let’s meet in Munich. (y)
    Shoot me a message and let me know when you’re around.

Melt Face Molly Drop likes this.
  3. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

Same here, let me know when you are in Paris (hopefully not between Sept 12 and 23, I'll be on vacations). I can take you to a record shops tour, to drink beers and even to the museum.

4. Melt Face Molly Drop

Melt Face Molly Drop Well-Known Member

Perfect haha, I’ll be there Sept 24-27.

Skalap likes this.
  5. Speedracer

Speedracer Well-Known Member

I can definitely give you some recommendations for record stores in Amsterdam.

1. Concerto - This is probably the biggest record store in Amsterdam and the most well known, with a long history. They have everything from new vinyl, to second hand to cd's to books. Sometimes they have in-store concerts
    2. Rush Hour - This record store is really respected within the DJ community, they even have their own record label. Great, diverse selection of records, from loads of genres that are kind of outta left field. The prices here are on the high side, but that has to do with their curation.
    3. Red Light Records - I don't know if you have ever heard of red light radio (an online radio station that has do's from all over the world on), but they have their own record store. It's kind of hard to find, cause you have to pass through a gate somewhere behind a church located in the Red Light district, but I think that is part of the fun.
    4. CityRecords Amsterdam - Nice little shop downtown, with a nice owner. Might be my favourite store in the city, although I can totally understand if others might find it nothing special. I find the selection nice and fair prices.
    5. Record Friends - Close to Cityrecords and also a pretty nice selection.

If you just want to choose one, I would probably go to Rush Hour. But all of them are within walking distance of each other and in the city centre where you will probably be walking around anyway, so it's easy enough to check them all out. Best route would be Rush Hour --> Red Light --> CityRecords --> Record Friends --> Concerto. Of course this also works in reverse.

If you want to catch a concert, I would check what is going on at Paradiso: https://www.paradiso.nl/en/
    If you are into jazz, you can also check the Bimhuis: https://www.bimhuis.nl/en/

If you want recommendations on anything else, let me know. Also depending on when you are in town, there are always loads of festivals and other events going on.

6. CaptainGurt

CaptainGurt Well-Known Member

As a fellow Dutchman I can say @Speedracer did a good job with the recommendations.

Speedracer likes this.
  7. panino

panino Well-Known Member

guys, I'll be in Barcelona this sunday, ahead of a 3 day working commitment.
    Any recommendation of good record shops, easily accessible via public transport, and open on a sunday?

8. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

Are you guys receiving your September box? Mine never takes that long. Label was created on day 15th. I understand that, in part due to Florence, it got delayed in the US but even in Germany it never took that long. They are probably receiving a lot of packages from the US and can't handle all of them or... I'll have to pay a duty and tax invoice from DHL.

upload_2018-9-27_17-11-18.png

9. panino

panino Well-Known Member

i'll got mine 2 days ago, but it took almost 8 days from Germany to Ireland.
    DHL probably availed, once again, of the services of the old postman with a bicycle....

[​IMG]

Skalap likes this.
  10. ChristoBee

ChristoBee Well-Known Member

Capture d’écran 2018-09-27 à 20.09.27.png

I'm not even sure it left the US yet.

11. uvwxVinyl

uvwxVinyl Well-Known Member

So if it says processing completed at origin it's left the US and is probably sitting in customs in the EU zone. I had noticed it takes a long time to update from there on sometimes but for me they sometimes provide a local carrier tracking number on the side and if I track that with DHL Germany I get more "real time tracking. Last time it was already out for delivery but this link was still showing melrose park.

ChristoBee likes this.
  12. Bluecloud777

Bluecloud777 Well-Known Member

My package also needed as long as never before. Both in the US and in Germany. And now I've found out that it indeed is kept by customs. It's the first time that happens to me and I'm pretty worried as it's a big order of 23 records due to sales. I'm now waiting to receive a letter from customs about where to pick it up.

13. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

:( I am supposed to have my box today, it says that it cleared customs but... In case you have to pay custom fees, keep a copy of the invoice and send an email to CS. They should credit your account with the same amount.

14. Bluecloud777

Bluecloud777 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you're going to receive your package today. Thank you a lot for that valuable information, this will give me a lot of reliefs in case I have to pay lots of taxes. :)

15. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

... I think I'll have to spend some time checking every single record...

P_20181001_132454.jpg

Bluecloud777, panino and uvwxVinyl like this.
  16. Pepperazzi

Pepperazzi New Member

Has anyone received their oct shipment? No update on my tracking since oct 9th in Melrose Park, IL.

17. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

You should send an email to info@, it probably got lost. I received my package like 3 weeks ago.

18. Pepperazzi

Pepperazzi New Member

It arrived at last, no idea where it has been between oct 9th and Nov 5th though. No info at all in the tracking.