De La Soul - 3 Feet High & Rising (March ‘19 Essentials ROTM) (Formerly Guess Thread)

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by Jmcg85, Jan 30, 2019.

1. KBURNS

KBURNS Well-Known Member

I'm going to give you 4 for the price of 1!

A hot Drake song, with a hot beat (9th Wonder is the producer) and two underrated emcees in Elzhi and Phonte. If you follow those breadcrumbs, you'll have enough for at least a week's worth of hip hop discoveries.

2. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

P.S. is your handle from the character in Unforgiven? I love that movie. So freaking good.

3. ByersVinyl

ByersVinyl Well-Known Member

I say own your offense :) and enjoy the forum. Dont backdown and fight them on the beaches...

So you typed somthing on a forum and people were offended - so what ! The world has become a place where people seem able to say “i take offense - u will be attacked” i say good be offended i dont give a shit - rant over.

Also i was looking down at a billboard in the City Centre today it said “BoyzIIMen the greatest R&B group of all time” and i thought......GARBAGE.

4. Englishbob

Englishbob Well-Known Member

I lost my interest for music in my thirties but with the advent of streaming services I regained it and am constantly amazed at what’s out there. Spotify etc are a boon for the consumer and in my case I spend more on records now than I ever have.

5. jaycee

jaycee Well-Known Member

Did you know The first utterance of the term "Stakes is High" was by a Carnothian soldier as he rode ever closer to the castle of Vladslov III?

Also, when De La Soul are rapping about 3 being the "magic number" they are referring to Vladislov III's ability to travel through oceans of time.

Sorry, I'm obviously in a mood.

6. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

7. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

I don’t even know what you are talking about, however, please tell me more...

8. Englishbob

Englishbob Well-Known Member

You got it. Fave movie everrrrr! Most peeps assume it’s co my name is Bob and i’m English...oh, wait. I am and it is..hmmm.

9. jaycee

jaycee Well-Known Member

giphy.gif

10. Sanders

Sanders Well-Known Member

I 100% understand and respect that people take music personally. Again, please read what the word "garbage" referred to. It was not an attack on hip-hop as a whole. I'm fairly new here, so I don't know how people take certain things. While I understand why people would take my comment with offense, I wouldn't be offended if someone called my favorite bands garbage. I'm not looking for points here. I was just trying to give context to my opinion on 3FHAR.

11. Sanders

This is going to be my last post about the controversy that I've caused, because frankly, replying to everyone is tiring and repetitive.

My usage of the word "garbage" was in reference to much of the top charting hip-hop songs of the past few years. Not hip-hop as a whole, and not every hip-hop song of the past few years.

That being said, the word "garbage" was a strong word that was unnecessary in retrospect. I apologize to anyone that was offended by it. I have immense respect for hip-hop as a genre, and more importantly, I would never want to make anyone feel bad about the music that they enjoy.

Demeaning me, getting aggressive with me, mocking me and blasting my opinions will not change my mind about a damn thing. Showing me great music that challenges my preconceptions about hip-hop will.

Most importantly of all, the point of my original post:

3 Feet High And Rising is a fantastic record, and I am extremely glad that VMP selected it! I'm very happy to be introduced to it, and I will certainly listen to more DLS!

Edit: I also bought Enter The Wu-Tang at Barnes and Noble today. Excited to finally listen to some more essential hip-hop!

12. Sanders

Thank you! I'll take a listen when I get home! If I forget, yell at me to remind me lol

Darin Star Boogie and KBURNS like this.
  13. Tillman

Tillman Well-Known Member

but also I think you need to understand that no one was offended by you saying that the majority of hip-hop that's gets play and media attention is garbage...it just is unnecessary per the conversation and certainly didn't put your statement in the context as it was intended.

14. Tillman

oh man, enjoy that Wu-Tang... it is easily the most important hip-hop album in my life

15. Sanders

That is very much the context of the statement that I made. It isn't for you to decide the meaning of my words. I should have made what I meant more clear from the beginning.

Darin Star Boogie likes this.
  16. Sanders

I've been meaning to grab it for a while. Can't wait to listen! It'll be interesting, for sure!

Darin Star Boogie, KBURNS and Tillman like this.
  17. Tillman

it's not the meaning. I understood what you meant... it just shifted the context from giving an album its props to putting other music down

18. Sanders

I understand that now. I wrote that post at around midnight lol. I was just attempting to give some context to my background of listening to hip hop. It wasn't intended as a jab at any artist or genre

19. jaycee

jaycee Well-Known Member

Stakes is high was originally going to be the title for the Gravediggaz first album but when Prince Paul brought up the Gravediggaz album to the native tongues crew, Jungle Bros. convinced him that stakes is high was too "conscious" to be used for a horror-core album title.. Buhloone mindstate was already in the works so it ended-up as De La's 4th album title.

20. Tillman

and to be fair and honest, I wasn't bothered at all by anything you said, but I think you might have been missing the point that others were trying to make.
    ultimately I am sure that most are very happy that you're finding more good music to dig into, so let's not all lose sight of that either