DIY Thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SonOfJames, Jul 25, 2018.

1. SonOfJames

SonOfJames Well-Known Member

Thought we could have a DIY thread for your audio and vinyl room. Mods please feel free to pin if you would like ?

2. SonOfJames

3. SKOT_FREE

SKOT_FREE Well-Known Member

If I had any type of skills in crafting, I’d definitely be down for this. I respect those who are good with their hands with building stuff. My problem is lack of tools and a lack of precision. I remember trying to build a soapbox racer when I was a Cub Scout and let’s just say it didn’t quite come out right. Lmao

Juiceless and lee newman like this.
  4. kyle_D

kyle_D New Member

I built that threaded rod rack in college as one of my first, if not my first, DIY projects. I used MDF for the shelves, and at the time I had no idea how to paint or finish it. It wasn't pretty. Still, it was functional and I got some great use out of it. Since then, I've gone on to build several pairs of speakers and a couple of amps that have turned out much nicer, but I learned a lot on those early projects.

If I were going to do the threaded rod rack again and had the budget, I'd use acrylic instead of MDF for the shelves. MDF dust is really nasty stuff and the edges are notoriously difficult to paint/finish. Acrylic is more expensive, but it looks and performs better, and you don't need to waste time finishing it.

5. YimYames

YimYames Well-Known Member

3B2FA973-1527-41BD-8BAE-D845B0131262.jpeg

Similar to what I made. This one is out of an old maple butcher block work bench, cut in fours. Assembled with black pipe, and used an old safety shower with a retro fitted led wires through the piping. Heavy as hell but easy to dis assemble and pretty sure I had less the 100$ in it.

6. YimYames

Still need to make two matching 12x24 for speaker stands and additional vinyl storage, in do time.

lee newman likes this.
  7. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Well-Known Member

You made that yourself? Wow I love it. So nice.

lee newman, Hunna and YimYames like this.
  8. YimYames

Thanks, it was cake, Home Depot had everything I needed. Soon as I come across another old bench I’ll have the matching speaker stands.

lee newman likes this.
  9. wgb113

wgb113 Well-Known Member

Thinking of tackling some new record storage bins like some stores have. I have a height restriction on one wall due to windows so they'll hold about twice as much as my Kallax in nearly the same footprint. I'll be making two out of the 4'x8' sheet of plywood plans found online.

10. SonOfJames

I was lucky and able to claim a unused room with limited sun and cold exposure for my record storage and have 2 older Expedit's in there for now with some bookshelves.

Ever think about fruit crates for record storage ? Some people like the old natty looking ones for vibe or there are newer or reclaimed ones.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  11. wgb113

wgb113 Well-Known Member

I have actually but in my case I'm looking for a two-tier solution to maximize storage. It will also allow me a little bit of customization for my server setup as well as 7" and 10" storage.

I made some custom CD shelving earlier this year and it's been fantastic in terms of freeing up space.

SonOfJames likes this.
  12. topofthedial

topofthedial New Member

I've done a lot of DIY stuff over the years.

I have a few pieces of DIY gear in my primary setup right now:

• I built my own turntable using the guts of a Lenco L-75 with an aftermarket top plate purchased on Lenco Heaven and the truly wonderful Jelco SA-750E tonearm.
    [​IMG]

• I also built DIY speakers using the Finalists design. They sound amazing! You definitely get a great bang-for-your-buck with DIY speakers, particularly in the <$1k price range.
    [​IMG]

I also built the credenza the stereo sits on.

I recently switched from my DIY Pass Labs B1 pre-amp and Aleph J power amp to a McIntosh integrated amplifier to cut down on my stereo clutter - the pre-amp and a corner of the power amp are visible in the first picture I posted.

I'm actually in the midst of building Overnight Sensation speakers with my 10-year old daughter. It's her first time building electronics and doing woodworking, so it's been a fun learning experience for her an a nice way for me to spend some quality time with her.

sahomerrocks, Hunna, bfly and 6 others like this.
  13. wgb113

wgb113 Well-Known Member

You sir have some talent!

topofthedial likes this.
  14. SonOfJames

@topofthedial I wish you were my neighbor :)

Wonderful table.

I just got into vintage tubes and have a HH Scott 299A Vintage tube integrated I will have restored and old Wharfedale W70 Speakers I cleaned up.

I'm on hunt for credenza like yours at the thrift shops and bulk trash nights that I can clean up.

wgb113 and topofthedial like this.