Dust Cover Up Or Down When Playing Records?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wokeupnew, May 22, 2015.

Do you play records with a dust cover up or down (if you have one)?

1. Up

33 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. Down

45 vote(s)
    53.6%
  3. N/A

6 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. wokeupnew

wokeupnew Well-Known Member

I did some searching in this forum and all over and I don't know what works better for sound, etc. I've seen people say both ways, and that it doesn't matter. I've been keeping the dust cover up on mine because it's black transparent and I can't really see the record spinning otherwise.

2. helllord

helllord Well-Known Member

no clue if there's any arguments on what's better for the record or sound or anything, but i always keep mine down. my space is very dry and i have a super hairy dog, so i'd rather keep it down to avoid static and dog hair, etc landing on the record. never had an issue with sound re: the cover

displayname and kvetcha like this.
  3. NoCo_Dave

NoCo_Dave Well-Known Member

I usually leave the dust cover up. That's mostly so I don't accidentally jar the needle. But in my mind the benefits to lowering it should point to that being the best way. People who really shoot for playback quality just leave the dust covers off completely, but that's simply not practical.

4. Brando

Brando Well-Known Member

I leave mine down when I am not playing and up when its playing.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  5. helllord

helllord Well-Known Member

ALSO re: @NoCo_Dave 's comment about jarring the needle, my table is lower end and automatic, so i close my cover before i hit the play button which removes the possibility of that happening for me personally. i'd probably be more concerned about closing it if i had to manually drop the needle like most tables require

6. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

Up when playing, always. Down introduces unnecessary vibration. But stored closed because of...er, dust.

HiFi Guy, SKOT_FREE, zomgbear and 2 others like this.
  7. NoCo_Dave

There is a school of thought (and I can't honestly say it's valid or not, but doesn't strike me as bogus either) that the lid down reduces the effect of sound waves on the arm and needle.

By the same logic having the lid up during playback would act like a transducer to the sound and transmit it into the 'table, which is why audiophiles don't use them.

Like I say, I dunno, but that's reasoning I've heard behind what is done.

Austin likes this.
  8. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

I keep mine down when I play, because sometimes it doesn't stay up, and it only takes a few times to have the lid come crashing down while you're playing a record to realize it is the only way.

9. Peyton

Peyton Well-Known Member

Up, only because I randomly like staring at the record spinning from across the room. My other half and I have argued over leaving the dust cover up and down before, he likes to have it down because of dust.

10. Brando

Brando Well-Known Member

I would think that bass would cause the lid to vibrate and introduce that. I'm not sure the lid would be an effective barrier against sound waves coming back into the system. But all that is just speculation, I honestly don't know.

11. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

The thought at play - and your mileage may vary, I'm just talking the physics of things here - is that when the cover down comes in contact with the plinth. That acrylic cover is going to amplify any vibration coming though or across the plinth and send it straight back down on the record (a la the old string-and-a-cup telephone). It's also enclosing the environment, so sound from the motor, arm mechanics, what have you are bouncing off that acrylic lid and right back down to the record as well.

Now, how much you notice it is going to have about eleventy grillion factors that influencing that. Everything from the material the plinth is made out of, what sort of mechanics you have, dampening materials being used throughout, and your output (for example my headphones are way less forgiving - they pick up stuff on playback that my speakers don't). I don't think there's an incorrect answer, because we could all be seeing different things in play. Try it both ways and see what works best for you. Playing with it closed certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

As an aside, I once had my headphones on (and probably too loud) and my lid slammed shut unexpectedly.
    Thaaaaaat'll wake you up.

Melt Face Molly Drop and Taylor like this.
  12. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

It certainly makes you cringe

13. NoCo_Dave

My suspicion is that by putting the lid down you are using the relatively heavy plinth to damp any vibrations created in the dust cover as well as isolating the record and arm from airborne sound waves. With it up the cover is subject to what's in the environment and will resonant at its natural frequency. There are fundamentals that everything will be sensitive to, so it's about getting everything's response below ~20Hz or above ~20kHz.

Tap your cover and you'll heat that it's gonna vibrate in the lower middle range while the plinth will be lower, more of a thump. Now put the lid down and it changes how it sounds. I suppose the best thing really would be to put the lid down and set a small bag of sand on top of it. Or even better, remove your dust cover and spray it with automotive undercoating rubber. It will be a /really/ good damper then. So what if it looks like heck, it's all about the sound.

14. Benjamin Dashley

Benjamin Dashley #NotMyModerator

I've always heard that putting the cover down introduces unnecessary vibrations, but I've never noticed a difference. I usually have it closed because I put the record sleeve on top of it because I'm lazy. But I don't do that exclusively.

15. MaxPGH

MaxPGH Well-Known Member

I always leave the dust cover down because one time I had put my record on and started the turntable and there was a beam of light coming through my window so you could see the dust in the air and I watched a ton of it shoot right towards the record so I leave it down to make less work for myself to clean

16. tylershippit

tylershippit Well-Known Member

I leave mine down as well, because as mentioned; dust.
    my cover is transparent though so I can gaze upon the spinning wax and the dust collecting on the cover itself. I have some plants on the windowsill above my turntable as well so it prevents any pollen or leaves or whatever from falling on anything. (please don't flame me for reducing the quality of sound or whatever by having plants near my player because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .)

kvetcha likes this.
  17. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

YOUR PLANTS ARE SUCKING UP THE SOUNDWAVES!!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!!!

and in the process you are getting less oxygen. I think that's how that works anyway :D

tylershippit likes this.
  18. theoriginaldon

theoriginaldon New Member

Down because my cat would ride on the record otherwise

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  19. jamiel8668

jamiel8668 Active Member

I don't think it really matters. The audible difference between the two is negligible.

20. NoCo_Dave

zomgbear, Bradley and Mike Keene like this.