Enoch's Prototypical Interviews for All People

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Enoch, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

March 8, 2019 - Interview 12

@AndySlash is one of forum moderators and from what I have seen doesn’t mind voicing his opinion on subjects. Be on the look out for a great deal in this section!!!

How did you find this VMP forum? (Where you already a VMP member? Did you find the forum first and join VMP? Do you even subscribe to VMP?)

i’m one of the forum geezers that was a vmp member before the forum existed. there was an email that went out announcing that a forum had been set up and inviting us to join, which i promptly did. here’s my first post. reading now i’ve probably repeated those comments 7-8 times now in the intervening years. like i said, forum geezer... hard to believe we’re coming on five years.​

When did you first start collecting vinyl? (Do you remember what the first one(s) was?)

oh, i most certainly do. the first records i purchased were the dead’s ‘terrapin station’ and zeppelin’s ‘the song remains the same’ at a flea market for a buck each back in 1994 or 1995. i was 16/17 i guess. i still have them:​

[​IMG]

after that i’d pick up things here and there. as the late 90s and early 00s were the nadir of vinyl sales, i’m glad i chose to buy new release records by bands like pearl jam, the smashing pumpkins, r.e.m., and such where those records became hard to find when the vinyl resurgence began.

i didn’t get a record player to play any of them until 2008. i probably had over 100 albums, if not more, by that point. i certainly miss the days of being able to buy new-in-shrink albums like isaac hayes’ ‘hot buttered soul’ and shuggie otis’ ‘inspiration information’ for $9.99 while the cds still went for $12.99 or more.​

What is your current listening setup? What equipment do you have? Do listen alone, only with others, or some combo?

i don’t have anything fancy that anyone here would be remotely impressed by, just an at-pl120 i bought on amazon for just under $200, the same one i’ve had since 2008. it’s currently fitted with an at120eb cartridge. i’ve used accumulated vmp store credits to help buy those kanto yumi speakers, kanto subwoofer and u-turn pluto that were in the store forever. prior to that i just had some large 80s era hand-me-down kenwood speakers, so getting this other stuff was certainly an “upgrade”. i really don’t anticipate going all-in on making this any better, this all suits me just fine for now.

as for listening habits, i do mostly listen alone, either while working or playing video games. i don’t use headphones for vinyl listening. i do have friends that come over that like to find things to spin, so that’s nice.​

What is your current goal in buying/receiving/collecting vinyl? (Do you focus on collectibles? Do you only buy what you like? Do you buy what you think you might like?)

man, i don’t have any ‘goals’ at this point. i’m pretty liberal, probably too liberal, with my vinyl buying habits. i could probably stand to downsize, if anything, but i just can’t bring myself to do it. i never know when i or someone else might finally want to listen to that beat up copy of yes’ ‘close to the edge’ that i was sent as filler in a discogs order years ago, so i keep it JUST IN CASE.

that said, i’ve been meaning to join the pay it forward thread as i’ve accumulated a few shipping boxes that i need to get rid of. but instead of offering up records there just yet, i am going to offer them up to you, dear readers, to the first persons that pm me their address (and post their claim here to let everyone else know) in response to this post. the records i’m offering are:

the black angels – directions to see a ghost

i bought a second copy shortly after the first about ten years ago when it seemed like these were going to be hard to find. (narrator: they weren’t.)

the secret machines – ten silver drops (recent run-out groove reissue)

[aside here I have this album and recommend it, though had I waited a few weeks…]

this has some very minor top-side seam splits and dings on the cover because it was horrendously packaged loose in a 13”x13”x4” thick box for shipping. they kindly sent me a new one even though i let them know the records were fine and i wasn’t requesting a new one as the damage could have been much worse, i just wanted to let them know that the way it was shipped was among the worst i’d ever seen. they sent another one anyway. the outer sleeve is from the new one- i swapped those because of the upc markup.​

Are there any bands/artists you automatically buy on vinyl regardless? (Do buy multiples copies - all the different variants?)

pink floyd and related solo projects, pearl jam, r.e.m., peter gabriel, jj cale, johnny cash, phish, dave matthews band, janet jackson, the black angels, alela diane, alicia keys, gybe!, the orb, radiohead, sigur ros, and lil’ bub, to name a few.

as far as variants go, i don’t really go for the ‘gotta catch ‘em all’ attitude. i certainly have multiple copies of many albums across various formats (i’d guess i have somewhere between 20 and 30 versions of ‘dark side of the moon’), but if an album comes out on a bunch of different colors from a bunch of exclusive retailers or whatever, i don’t really give a shit, i’ll buy the one that appeals to me the most or seems like it will be the most worthy investment.​

What is your favorite record in your collection?

jeez, i’ve given this question a lot of thought and i’m not sure i really have a good answer. the obvious answer might be pearl jam’s ‘october 22, 2003 benaroya hall’ as it probably is my most coveted record, especially because i was smart enough to buy one from the fan club in 2004 for $35 when they came out. it’s a great acoustic show and arguably their best live release, and its ROI would be sky high if i ever had to sell it. but i don’t know that i could call it my favorite record in my collection. my favorite album of all time is floyd’s ‘wish you were here’, but i don’t think i could say that it’s my favorite record in my collection, either. i really don’t have a good answer i’d be 100% satisfied with. so let’s just go with this.​

What record means the most to you? (if different from the above)

pink floyd’s ‘a collection of great dance songs’. while the actual, physical record that’s in my collection holds little meaning to me, that record changed my life by showing me the power that music can have on the listener. i’m 110% confident i wouldn’t be sharing my thoughts on a music-based message board right now if i didn’t hear that album when i was 13, throwing off my headphones at the kitchen table because the ominous sounds of ‘one of these days’ was literally frightening me. that was the opening of the rabbit hole, and i fell in hard after that.​

If you were allowed to freely receive any record you currently don’t have, what would it be?

pink floyd – 1965: their first recordings

this was a europe or uk only limited surprise record store day release done for the purposes of extending the copyrights. i’d very much like to have it in my collection.​

@JoeMac7 asks: I get this is quite a personal one but I'll answer it myself too. If you could bring back a person who is no longer with us for just one day, who would it be?

my uncle. not for me, but for my mom and aunt. it’s been over ten years, but i see it in their face every time his name comes up how much they miss their little brother.​

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  2. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

@AndySlash gave me a lot of different directions to go, but a few things stuck out to me, but I did have to ask about moderating too. After finishing the interview I remembered a question I wanted to ask but forgot, his user name.

What video games do you play while listening to your vinyl? Do you mute the game or have two sources of audio ‘bombarding’ you?

i don’t get to play games as much or as regularly as i’d like, so i am kind of a sucker for the lego games (lego batman, lego star wars, etc…) because you can just pick them up whenever, even if you haven’t been able to play a game for a few weeks, and not have to relearn how to play or remember what you were supposed to be doing. conveniently, they’re also good for listening to other music since you don’t really need to pay attention to the game music/dialogue when you are playing- it’s all pretty repetitive music-wise and you can have subtitles, so i typically just leave only the sound fx on.

lately, though (like, the last 3-4 months), i’ve been slowly making my way through red dead redemption, and it just isn’t as easy to play through this and have some vinyl spinning. you need to hear what people are saying and what is going on in the world around you. plus the music itself is just as much a part of the experience of playing the game that i don’t really want to miss out on that by listening to records.​

Something tells me Pink Floyd is a favorite, what side project of the members do like the best?

first and foremost, pink floyd is truly one of those bands where the whole has always been greater than the sum of its parts. nothing any of them have done on their own holds a candle to the majority of the band’s work. if i have to pick one favorite of anything the members did solo or with other people, i think i would go with david gilmour’s ‘in concert’ show from 2001 meltdown festival that was released on dvd. it opens with a solo acoustic ‘shine on you crazy diamond’ and just gets better from there. it’s musically interesting, it sure seemed like it was an effort to get out of his comfort zone while playing familiar material, and proved once again that Gilmour was the best musician in the band.

if i have to pick an album, it’s either be gilmour’s first, self-titled solo record from 1978 or the album he did with the orb in 2010, metallic spheres.​

As a moderator, share a favorite story of something that came up that you had to deal with, obviously, that you feel comfortable with sharing?

i don’t know there’s a favorite story to be told here, to be honest. moderating this forum is either mostly tedious (like cleaning spam), or occasionally somewhat stressful (when shit hits the fan and/or difficult choices have to be made). personally, i do it because i found this community to be a valuable one to be a part of and i felt it important to try and contribute in some tangible way. despite the hiccups here and there, i’m grateful this community isn’t the cesspool that many internet communities can be; the forum community is pretty good at allowing its moderators to be mostly hands-off and instead just be another forum member. that’s probably my favorite thing about it.​

Since you are “liberal” in your vinyl buying, what is the album that you think ‘Why did I buy this?’

in the last year or so alone i’ve bought at least three albums i already owned, so…

but, for this question i’ll say this album: love and kisses – how much, how much i love you

it has an absurd cover, with an absurd name, and two tracks that clock in around 15 minutes. it had to at least be interesting, right? well it’s not, it’s just bad disco.​

What song/album would describe your personality?

when the pawn hits the conflicts he thinks like a king what he knows throws the blows when he goes to the fight and he'll win the whole thing 'fore he enters the ring there's no body to batter when your mind is your might so when you go solo, you hold your own hand and remember that depth is the greatest of heights and if you know where you stand, then you know where to land and if you fall it won’t matter, cuz you’ll know that you’re right​

What song/album best describe your beliefs? (Spiritual, Emotional, Existential, Whatever)

the first thing that came to mind that sums up my beliefs wasn’t a song or album, but this scene from the first ‘men in black’:

Man in black - ending HD​

If you met someone who has never heard music ever, what album would you play for them first?

yes - close to the edge​

What is one thing you'd like the forum to know, that didn't come up in the interview?

my real name isn’t andy.​

What question would you like to ask the next person interviewed? (While I am asking this in part 1, this will be the last Q/A posted)

let’s play two truths and a lie instead. list two truths and one lie about yourself/your life. that’s all. and never, ever tell us what is what, just leave us guessing for the rest of eternity.​

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    gafacaode, haydee, Selaws and 15 others like this.
  3. indiemisanthrope

indiemisanthrope Well-Known Member

@AndySlash has done what I was always going to do if I ever signed up for an interview: I even have the list of records I was going to put on offer already drawn up.

4. Yer Ol' Uncle D

Yer Ol' Uncle D Well-Known Member

PM Sent on the Secret Machines.

Much obliged and great interview!

5. bfly

bfly Well-Known Member

great interview, guys! this whole thing is really so delightful. but also
    [​IMG]

6. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

7. GritNGlitter

GritNGlitter Well-Known Member

Yay! Good interview, fun to hear about our precioius @AndySlash. Keep up the good work, (mostly) gents! *mwah*

8. AndySlash

AndySlash i know del griffith

records claimed, fyi.

9. waitressboy

waitressboy Well-Known Member

Even if I had no clue what what answer is, i would still think I'd like to know you.

10. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

Heads up, I forgot some (read: most) of the links in Andy's interview, that has been corrected if you are interested in them

11. AndySlash

AndySlash i know del griffith

thanks for the kind words, y’all.

thanks enoch, you’ve been awesome at this and i’m glad to have participated.

JonnyH, gafacaode, haydee and 9 others like this.
  12. NathanRicaud

NathanRicaud Well-Known Member

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This GIF coming from you Mcherry makes this hilarious! I love it when you show your cheeky, evil side :ROFLMAO:

mcherry, Skalap and ThePakoBuelna like this.
  13. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

March 15, 2019 - Interview 13
    (a lucky number?)

@ThePakoBuelna is another of our international friends (hopefully we can keep them with the new changes though I doubt they would leave the forum if they do end up leaving the club). In my experience with him on the forum, he seems like a pretty cool guy.

How did you find this VMP forum? (Where you already a VMP member? Did you find the forum first and join VMP? Do you even subscribe to VMP?)

I first found out about VMP forum after I subscribed to VMP.(Think it was on one of those pamphlets that used to come with the monthly boxes). As many, started lurking around until I finally decided to become more involved, and here we are.​

When did you first start collecting vinyl? (Do you remember what the first one(s) was?)

The first one I ever bought was Radiohead's In Rainbows boxset back when it was released, but didn't start collecting seriously until after I bought my TT(around 10 years later!)​

What is your current listening setup? What equipment do you have? Do listen alone, only with others, or some combo?

I've got a fairly basic setup. AT-LP60 turntable with some Edifier Speakers I bought in a package. I mainly listen alone, but these days my friends come to my space and want to listen to more vinyl, but almost all my listening in home right now is vinyl.​

What is your current goal in buying/receiving/collecting vinyl? (Do you focus on collectibles? Do you only buy what you like? Do you buy what you think you might like?)

My goal right now is to have a collection that I love. Only the music I really hear stays in my collection. I do love the special editions of colored vinyl or limited ones. Although since I've joined the forums and FOMO has the best of us, I now go for blind listens on so much stuff recommended by our knowledgeable forum friends.​

Are there any bands/artists you automatically buy on vinyl regardless? (Do you buy multiples copies - all the different variants?)

Oh yes! Radiohead is my favorite band ever, so I buy almost everything I still don't have. I do buy multiple copies of albums I love or have boxsets of(Amnesiac,In Rainbows,A Moon Shaped Pool,) or just ones I think I need a backup copy of(Got backup copies of Over The Garden Wall, Cosmogramma,Archie Shepp, some jazz, and soon need to buy a copy of Satchidananda).​

What is your favorite record in your collection?

Oof, that a tough one... I think the Radiohead In Rainbows boxset, its a beautiful package and was my first. Though I have to say I'm a sucker for pretty colored vinyl(Chandler's Outlook, The FlyLo bundle looks and sounds exquisite!)​

What record means the most to you? (if different from the above)

Maybe Cafe Tacvba's Jei Beibi! Got my second copy at a gig and had a chance to talk with the members of the band a while. They signed my vinyl and some posters, it was pretty cool.​

If you were allowed to freely receive any record you currently don’t have, what would it be?

Any Cafe Tacvba would be awesome! They are my 2nd favorite band and I consider them the best band in Mexico right now. Would love to have the discography complete!​

@AndySlash asks: let’s play two truths and a lie instead. list two truths and one lie about yourself/your life. that’s all. and never, ever tell us what is what, just leave us guessing for the rest of eternity.

I was almost a certified diver at the age of 15, but regulations in Mexico at the time only permitted people 18+.

I am trained in basic Culinary Arts but didn't graduate so never got a degree

When I was a kid, I tried to fly from a second floor and threw myself to down below, landed in a big pile of dirt, could move for 30ish minutes.​

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 10:26 AM
    JonnyH, bfly, Wicked Dreamer and 10 others like this.
  14. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

Potential new first in this series with @ThePakoBuelna (though everyone is unique so this is quite right). So I wanted to highlight some of the known first (probably better way to say it).

I think you might be the first person I have interviewed who lives in a country that the primary language isn’t English (@Mather somewhat counts, I guess). How did you learn English and is the forum a challenge for you since it is in English?

I learned English from a young age, I actually studied in the US from Kindergarten to 5th grade, then got changed to a school in Mexico by the time I entered 6th. I don't find the forum a challenge due to almost having English as a 1st language too(along with spanish that is my mother tongue), but as any language I'm still learning(and interested in) all the differences and variations of English(and Spanish)​

I am jealous you have the Radiohead - In Rainbows box (you and @JoeMac7 can dog me for it). What is your favorite Radiohead album and what is favorite Cafe Tacvba album (who I have never heard of)?

My favorite radiohead album is definitely Amnesiac, but the one I always recommend to those who say they don't like Radiohead is In Rainbows. The Cafe Tacvba is difficult to choose one, but I'd have to go with their (almost) all instrumental album Revés, but if you'd like to check them out I'd recommend the Re album(very eclectic and lots of different influences throughout) or the newest one Jei Beibi! I'll share the links right here for you guys!

Revés:

Jei Beibi:

Strangely enough, I started with a Stanton TT but then downgraded to an AT-LP60 and now am back to using the Stanton. Do plan to upgrade your system, if so what would be the first thing you want to upgrade?

Yes! I would love to upgrade my whole system. I always see and read about how some albums change or discover new sounds from them when you guys post and that makes me very jealous haha. If/when I upgrade I would like to get a whole new setup, from TT to speakers to cart and everything I may need(hopefully I can afford it!)​

If I remember correctly you live close to the US border. How do feel that changes your experience of both Mexico and the US from if say you lived in Mexico City?

That is a great question! I think that with the closeness and relative easiness to cross to the US, I've been able to experience things I would not have been able to(the VMP subscription or my schooling in the US as an example). This has an effect on things like celebrating festivities or even how the society acts. Most of the people living here is an amalgamation of US and Mexico and is vastly different to someone living in Mexico City. the cost of things for example are greatly different, stuff like food for example if more expensive than the center of the country, but we are able here to get some stuff not easily accessible over there. Luckily I've been able to experience the best and worst of both cultures.(Am i rambling now? sorry if I'm rambling, this one is tough and could extend very much)​

What song/album would describe your personality?

Right now I would likely choose Radiohead's Amnesiac. The album has everything from dark jazzy moods to a little bit of glimmer and hope. Everyone has a little bit of darkness and light inside us, but may we never lose hope. We have to keep trying to see the light throughout everything that weighs us down. While in a way feeling alienated and so sick of everything.​

What song/album best describe your beliefs? (Spiritual, Emotional, Existential, Whatever)

These questions were difficult to answer, but I would have to go with Cafe Tacvba's album Sino. I personally love all the lyrics within the album, ranging from loss, desperation and that feeling where you are left wondering where is your ppace on the earth, to happy and joyful songs, where we are still glad to be alive in this moment of space and time, cherishing the company close to us.​

If you met someone who has never heard music ever, what album would you play for them first?

I would go with Flying Lotus Cosmogramma, because that album os such a trip even if you have heard it before, plus you can see all the different influences it had. Then well... we could go on and on and on...​

What is one thing you'd like the forum to know, that didn't come up in the interview?

Hmmm... Thats a tough one too. I think this one would be different from person to person, but personally I would like everyone to know that even though I'm kind of an introvert in my daily life(as many here feel too), don't have many close friends and I'm not that sociable to begin with, I would gladly meet up with any of you fine folks around the globe and hope to eventually be able to grab a beer/whisky/joint/or any other thing of you liking and just talk about music all day long.​

What question would you like to ask the next person interviewed? (While I am asking this in part 1, this will be the last Q/A posted)

If you had a chance to right a wrong in your life, would you do it if it would change your whole existence up until now?

If you had a chance to right a wrong in your life, would you do it if it would change your whole existence up until now?

Thanks for everyone for reading this, and to @Enoch for doing these awesome interviews, I feel humbled and glad to be able to be part of this wonderful thread and community.​

JonnyH, gafacaode, bfly and 18 others like this.
  15. Melancholy_Melody

Melancholy_Melody Well-Known Member

Another great interview!

16. GritNGlitter

Wonderful! Thanks for another great interview. Thanks for letting us know more about you, @ThePakoBuelna

17. ThePakoBuelna

ThePakoBuelna Well-Known Member

Thanks for reading! Although I have to apologise for being a little bit boring...:cautious::unsure:

JonnyH, Selaws, Nathaniel D. and 7 others like this.
  18. GritNGlitter

Not boring! We like you, and you are interesting.

19. Melancholy_Melody

Melancholy_Melody Well-Known Member

I think we all worry about this when being interviewed. I know I did. But none of us are boring and it’s nice to get to know more about each other!

20. ModernCyrus

ModernCyrus Well-Known Member

There is no reason to apologize for talking about your authentic self. That in and of itself is not boring! You rock @ThePakoBuelna!