Equipment Opinions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wxm8562, Dec 3, 2018.

1. wxm8562

wxm8562 Member

I have an offer to trade someone a guitar worth $500 for a record player, speakers, and receiver. I can't really find much info about them so wanted to get some opinions here. He values them at $300 so wants to add a little cash on top for my guitar.

- Sansui FR-DR35
    - Yamaha NS-A300
    - Onkyo TX-8511.

All of the equipment is working and he currently has it hooked up and is using it. It's all in great condition looks like and I'd get to hear it beforehand. Is this stuff worth $300?

2. lbls1

lbls1 Member

Sansui makes excellent receivers, in fact you won't go wrong with anything Sansui. I find Onkyo to also be an excellent manufacturer of receivers and most stereo components. Yamaha also has a very good reputation of quality in their musical instruments. Good luck.

3. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

$300 feels high to me, particularly because it’s used and you’ll probably need to take the table in for service straight away.

The speakers are nothing special and can be ignored (pretty sure I have a pair in my basement somewhere on my mountain of old crappy speakers) but for shiggles we’ll say $20 if we’re being stupid generous, the receiver I’d top out at maybe $75, if that. And only if it’s clean and in perfect condition. So that leaves the table at $200. Unless someone knows something I don’t about that table (is there a cart included?) that seems high. There’s a pile of them for sale on HifiShark for $100 or less.

Edit: ignore my bit on the speakers, I was thinking of a different model that was a bookshelf. I just looked these up. No experience with them, but $100 still seems high.

AnthonyI likes this.
  4. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

I would agree, just poking around the interwebs for those pieces does make the $300 seem a little high.

5. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

And not to put too fine a point on it, at that price I don’t think this person is trying to screw you over, I think he’s just overvaluing his system tiny bit.

Unless he’s got a pretty good cart on that Sansui. Based on the system I wouldn’t expect anything nuts, but you never know. I’d ask what the cart is and what the hours in the stylus are.

AnthonyI likes this.