Equipment Questions, Suggestions, And Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TimmahTao, Nov 6, 2014.

1. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

Welcome!

You've put together a very nice plan regarding the electronics. I'd make one minor change- instead of the Ortofon 2m Blue, I'd look towards the Nagaoka MP-150. @displayname has had both- maybe he will chime in.

I wouldn't recommend 2 pairs of speakers. I'd look towards the Elac F5 floorstanding speakers. There's also new versions of the Debut series coming out, so you may be able to pick up the current series at a discount on closeout.

The other thing I'd suggest is a vacuum record cleaning machine. Clean records sound far better, last pretty much a lifetime if handled and stored properly, and your stylus will last longer.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more :)

3. Toby Beresford

Toby Beresford New Member

Thanks for your help!
    I’ll have a look at the Nagaoka now. Will either of these need any sort of spacer to replace my current one or is it a straight swap?
    I was looking at getting the floor standing ones, but I really don’t think I have anywhere sensible to put them. I was going to mount the B6’s up high and lean them downwards.
    I’ve seen a lot of talk about vacuum cleaners on the forum, that’s also on my list, probably worth getting that after the speakers but before the new cartridge then.

4. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome! Thanks for the tag in @HiFi Guy.
    On the cartridge, I'll give you a couple things to think about:
    I had the 2M Blue on my UTurn for just under a year, and I've now had the MP-150 for about 4 months (I think?)
    Skipping ahead - I would absolutely buy the MP-150 again. And I would recommend it every time against the Blue.
    I'm also not familiar with the Planar 2, but I think you might need a spacer for the 2M Blue? And might not need one for the MP-150? That pretty much closes the price gap if that's the case.

Now for the sound, the differences aren't life changing, but they are there. The Blue is a good cart, but the MP-150 is just a little better in my opinion. The Blue was always a little bright for my taste, and the MP-150 really helped resolve that. The MP-150 was also able to bring out balance and detail when it was dialed in with my iPhono2 pre-amp. The refined dial in settings made no noticeable difference with the Blue, but a pretty big difference with the MP-150. Maybe that means the MP-150 could stay with me through another phono stage upgrade? Maybe the iPhono2 was getting all it could get out of the Blue?
    All I know is at the end of the day, the MP-150 is easier to listen to for longer sessions and brings out more detail on certain tracks/albums. The more I think about it, the more acoustic strings are what really seem to shine with the 150.
    I can also tell you this. If/when I move up in my TT, I fully plan to shop upwards in the Nagaoka line if I need a cartridge, and do not plan to look further into the 2M line. Simple as that.

Hope that helps! Sounds like you have a great set up planned already.

5. Toby Beresford

Thanks, that’s really helpful. Think i’ll go down the Nagaoka line then.
    Thanks for all the help, got a lot more confidence buying the kit now!

lee newman, HiFi Guy and displayname like this.
  6. Goatfish

Goatfish Well-Known Member

Have you noticed a difference in surface noise with the Nag vs. Ortofon 2M Blue?

I adore my Blue in terms of sound signature, but the surface noise is a killer. Even records that have been meticulously cleaned with my Squeaky Clean which sound pretty darn good most of the way through, there are some ticks/pops that are so prominent that it bothers me.

I've heard this is a common complaint with Ortofon. I have double checked tracking force and alignment, and even experimented at tracking at 1.9 and 2.0g with no success.

displayname and Tanqueray like this.
  7. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Well-Known Member

Really? Ive had 3 different Ortofon cartridges of diff levels in the past and never experienced this at all...........I would think if surface noise was common in the Ortfon line up Ortofon would do something......I feel something else is causing or contributing to the surface noise in question.....

displayname likes this.
  8. Ed Selley

Ed Selley Well-Known Member

Correct- 2M's on the Planar 1,2 and 3 throw the VTA out. Nagaokas do not.

HiFi Guy and displayname like this.
  9. displayname

Nothing notable. Clean records still sound clean, dirty sounds dirty, static still can happen.

AnthonyI and Goatfish like this.
  10. Goatfish

Goatfish Well-Known Member

Must be something else in my chain, or something amiss in my cleaning regimen. Lovely.

lee newman and Enaz Fox like this.
  11. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

This hobby has entirely too much in common with golf.

12. displayname

I constantly feel that way too.

13. HiFi Guy

The Nagaoka is a straight swap. The Ortofon will need a spacer.

Toby Beresford likes this.
  14. HiFi Guy

I've not heard that so much with the Blue, but it's common with the Black.

Or it could be to just don't dig the Ortofon sound. The Red and Bronze are bright. A bright cartridge will accentuate surface noise.

lee newman and Goatfish like this.
  15. Toby Beresford

Definitely going with that then.
    I've been looking at the Onkyo TX-8020 and comparing it to the TX-8220 and it seems for a little extra it gives me Bluetooth and DAB as well, which would make this a lot more palatable for my partner. To my (incredibly uninformed) eye, there's no reason to not to step up. Have you got any experience with the TX-8220, or is there anything I need to be careful of?

displayname likes this.
  16. Ed Selley

Ed Selley Well-Known Member

I reviewed the 8220 a few months ago for HiFi Choice. For the money it does a stupid amount of stuff and largely does it very well. I will say that the built in phono stage is... not great. Your existing Rega Fono will slay it so work on the principle you'll need to keep it.

Corycm, AnthonyI, HiFi Guy and 3 others like this.
  17. Toby Beresford

Thanks for the help, I think I'm going to go for the 8220 then. I'm also finding it hard to find places in the UK with the 8020 in stock, am I just not looking hard enough?

HiFi Guy likes this.
  18. dabble

dabble Well-Known Member

Anyone have any thoughts on the Elac B6 speakers? My Planar 1 came yesterday and need some speakers. Most sites list the B6 as one of the best "budget" ($300-$400 Canadian) speakers. Most of the other ones I cant seem to find in Canada or are really expensive in Canada.

Enaz Fox, displayname and Juiceless like this.
  19. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Well-Known Member

The Elacs get almost universal love around this joint. I have a set of the F6 floor standers myself.

20. dabble

dabble Well-Known Member

Sounds good. I am sure they will be good for my budget system. Thanks.

Enaz Fox, Corycm, lee newman and 2 others like this.