Equipment Questions, Suggestions, And Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TimmahTao, Nov 6, 2014.

1. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

Crabbers likes this.
  2. Crabbers

Crabbers Well-Known Member

AnthonyI likes this.
  3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

I meant RCA cables- sorry.

4. Crabbers

Crabbers Well-Known Member

Whatever that have came with pho and turntable

5. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

It's worth it to upgrade to Blue Jeans LC-1. If you have another pair of cables around- switch those onto the system to see if you have a cable issue.

Nathaniel D. and AnthonyI like this.
  6. bulldogqt

bulldogqt Active Member

Hey everyone! Been collecting for awhile but never really had money to spend on gear until recently. Everything in my set up is hand me down from my family so I don’t know much about any of it, and don’t really know what the weak link is. Listen to mostly hip hop, punk, soul, rock etc.

My setup currently consists of a Fisher Studio Standard MT-6455 with an ATN3711, a JVC RX-212 reciever, and Cerwin Vega Re Series floor speakers (don’t know much more about these)

I’m assuming the turntable is my best place to begin with an upgrade. I know I’m long overdue for a needle replacement so I figure why not upgrade the whole table. I’m leaning towards a U-Turn Custom with the acrylic platter, cue lever, and the 2M Red. But I am completely open to suggestions for a different turntable or a different cart that might fit my needs better, but that 400 range is what I’m looking at for the time being.

I have a plethora of questions and know pretty little so I’m open to suggestions and knowledge in every area of this.

For starters, will this receivers phono line work in place of a preamp on the U-Turn? Also, how is my speaker placement? The table my turntable is on is pretty sturdy but I’m paranoid about vibrartions so maybe I should move them.

Also thanks to the suggestions of this forum I’m going to get a spin clean and fresh static free sleeves for all my records before they touch any fresh table. So much to do!!

I’ll probbaly think of more questions but this is a good start. Thanks to everyone in advance! Sorry for the clutter and dust.

BD71647D-E831-45C7-AAB6-30099D8E27A5.jpeg CCA91A86-082C-4B73-AC45-E11794C143D1.jpeg 915DB24C-ED15-4ADB-AA78-EA6FB6EBABE0.jpeg EB856334-35AE-45BD-BF73-7D562CDDEF3B.jpeg

Hunna, bfly, Nathaniel D. and 3 others like this.
  7. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

Could you be tempted to go up to $450 for the Fluance RT84, it seems on specs to be a much better table, or $500 for the RT85, the blue is an upgrade to the red worth more than the $50 difference...

...welcome down the wormhole...

8. bulldogqt

bulldogqt Active Member

I can 100% be tempted if given the right info. Just means more time without a turntable with new records coming in I'm excited to listen to. Kind of nervous to spin anything with this old needle right now.

Maybe I can learn to be patient... What are the pros of the 2 Fluances over say a U-Turn or Pro-ject in the same range? Also, any recommendations on where to order these brands online?

Nathaniel D., AnthonyI and JoeMac7 like this.
  9. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

Let’s put the pro-ject to one side.

The Fluance has a better motor which should provide better speed stability and less wow and flutter. It has a push button speed change so no moving the elastic band to change to 45s. Also user removable/replaceable headshells is a nice touch.

With the pro-ject the esprit sb is the one to get, i have it and love it, I wouldn’t drop down the line. It’s much of a muchness with the Fluance id wager, the Fluance probably has it on the motor, the carbon fibre tonearm on the pro-ject probably edges it. Problem is it’s $600 so $100 over the Fluance and has the red, rather than blue, cart. It’s probably the best option over here, Fluance are only in North America, but the Fluance has to win out on price grounds on your side of the pond.

PS: If you go for the u turn get the grado black or the 2m blue over the red.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 1:57 PM
  10. Bad Andy

Bad Andy Well-Known Member

I have been very happy with the U-Turn. I bought it direct from U-Turn. I have an Orbit custom with acrylic platter, cue lever and originally had the built in Pluto phono stage and Oto Red. I have since upgraded the cartridge to the Blue, and bought an external phono stage. I am very happy with my setup.

I don't know much about the Fisher TT you have. Other than a worn cartridge, what else don't you like about it? Might be worth upgrading the cartridge, and spending your budget on a upgraded phono stage and/or stand alone amp.

In the past Cerwin Vega's had a good reputation. I am not familiar with them, or this model, but they should be good for rock, punk, and hip hop. I may be wrong, but I usually think of them as great "party" speakers. Produce good sound and can really rock out. They might not be as fine tuned as a more sophisticated speaker to really dive into and enjoy the soundspace of jazz, blues, or classical music.

AnthonyI and bulldogqt like this.
  11. bulldogqt

bulldogqt Active Member

Thanks for the input! I have really enjoyed it, I've just owned it for probably 6 years if not more, and figure it's probably time to move on to something more recent. I haven't been able to find very much info about it online which is one thing I dont like, when I have a problem I don't know where to look. Reviews I have found haven't been too pleasant either, but it has done the job for me for some time.

Nathaniel D., AnthonyI and JoeMac7 like this.
  12. AnthonyI

I think you'll be happy with either deck, the Orbit or the Fluance, that being said, and coming from someone who had an Orbit and loved it, if you can be patient and go the Fluance direction I would vote you do so ;)

@JoeMac7 covered the basics, the U-Turn is a great table, I would also recommend going with the Grado Black if you go with the Orbit. Win, win either way......all depends on how chunky your Piggy Bank is at the moment :)

bulldogqt, displayname and JoeMac7 like this.
  13. bulldogqt

bulldogqt Active Member

Very good to know, thank you! All this talk about the Fluance is definitely swaying me. My piggy bank isn't quite there yet but hopefully I can resist buying too many records and get it up to snuff. Just gotta hope I get lucky and don't miss out on too many restocks.

I plan to upgrade all that I can with time but will this receiver and speaker set up suffice for the time being with a new Fluance or U-Turn? If it says phono on my receiver that means it has a pre-amp? All knowledgeable minds are welcome to hop in, and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone on this forum for being so helpful!

bfly, AnthonyI and JoeMac7 like this.
  14. AnthonyI

What you have will work with the Phono input on your receiver. In my opinion, start with the turntable and work your way out regardless of which TT you decide to go with.

15. bulldogqt

bulldogqt Active Member

Perfect that was my exact plan. I'm very excited, honestly dreamed of having a nice setup for many years so it's cool to be inching towards that one step at a time.

Aelias, AnthonyI and JoeMac7 like this.
  16. haimez40

haimez40 Active Member

I think I have those exact speakers. Mine are RE25, if you take the grill off will show model. Honestly in my experience upgrading full table isnt a terrible idea but Id consider upgrading cart first. It can always go to your next turntable if needed.
    If those Vegas are same as mine they are pretty good for hip hop. I have had them hooked up to an old Pioneer SX3700 and now a Marantz PM8006. They surprise me sometimes, and I have had hard time replacing them without adding a subwoofer in mix.
    Id look into a receiver upgrade first, maybe even the Onkyo 8020.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 1:32 PM
    bulldogqt likes this.
  17. bulldogqt

bulldogqt Active Member

Awesome to know. Mine are RE20 so probably a slight step down? I love the speakers, they are probably the best part of my current setup, and probably will be keeping them around for awhile and focusing on the other aspects.

I probably could tune up my current table but feel pretty excited about the prospects of a new table. It has definitely seen its use, as it was well used when I received it and I haven't necessarily been easy on it. I've experienced some clicking sounds from under the platter that come and go as well, fidgeting with this some makes them go away for a time but i'm not all together sure on it. Figure I might as well just treat myself with something new and exciting while it's within my means.

Aelias and JoeMac7 like this.
  18. haimez40

haimez40 Active Member

Ok then yeah new table. I switched from AT LP120 to the Pioneer PLX1000 and Ive upgraded everything but speakers so far. It blew my mind how much better it was. That upgrade was by far the biggest jump. Cart being second.

19. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Dota anyone have any opinion, good or bad on Bis cables, Kirmuss Cables or Tributary?

JoeMac7 likes this.
  20. DeadwaxDude

DeadwaxDude Well-Known Member

Weren't you looking into KimberKable before? I've got some, and it's probably the best cable option for under 200$

JoeMac7 likes this.