Everything That Is Prince - A Memorial

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by Peyton, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Peyton

Peyton Well-Known Member

I haven't posted a thread in awhile. Why not make it about Prince? I remember my aunt flocking over his songs, and me wondering why he was dressed so funky and why my mother thought it was a great idea to teach me how to do the 'bird' when I was a kid. I know some people don't like him, whatever go make your own thread to be in complete denial because the idea that someone could dislike an artist with an album cover like this:
    [​IMG]
    is completely beyond me.
    Purple Rain is one of my favorites. Prince being a megalomaniac and funky music to dance to. What are your favorite Prince moments? Albums? ​

2. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

He is one hell of a guitar player for starters...

Edit: And peytonite, so you can skip straight to it, Prince comes in at 3:25

3. Peyton

Peyton Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Also, Purple Rain further stemmed my love for Morris Day.

4. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

I am a HUGE Prince fan. I have over 30 of his albums (regular release, bootlegs, Vault, etc.). My Dad first introduced me to him when I was younger and I've always loved his diversity and skill on pretty much every instrument.

Fave 3 albums of his are:
    Love Symbol
    Sign O' The Times
    Purple Rain

lee newman, nolady and Peyton like this.
  5. Peyton

Peyton Well-Known Member

Do you happen to have the Purple Rain single on purple vinyl

6. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

7. helllord

helllord Well-Known Member

O-(+>

i saw prince a few years ago on one of the 3 nights of his welcome 2 chicago stop over and my face is still melting off. jennifer hudson lifted out of the floor in a gold dress and sang nothing compares 2 u with him and i nearly passed out. he did a version of little red corvette that was 9 minutes long and had a call and response section that took me to a different universe (glad i was smart enough to pull a version off of youtube before he had them removed. i'm watching it rn and it's just taking me to a really inappropriate place tbh). he took like over an hour to come back for his last encore but he closed with partyman and you GUYS I CAN'T. also the constant outfit changes had me *heart eye emoji*

he's just everything. literally every single thing. the scariest and most inspiring human alive. when i had a facebook my photo was a picture of him an apollonia riding the motorcycle with my face photoshopped onto hers for legit like 3 years.

Tyr, lee newman, Shonto and 1 other person like this.
  8. helllord

i would give all of my internal organs besides whatever makes my ears work to get into prince's vault

lee newman likes this.
  9. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember a time when, between Prince and Michael Jackson, the general consensus was that Prince was the weirdo. I love that story that Prince told about MJ wanting him to appear as the head of the rival gang in his "Bad" video. Prince considered it until he realized that Michael would be singing the line "Your butt is mine" at him in said video. That was a no-go as far as Prince was concerned.

I tend to like his more rock oriented tracks, but, when you get down to it, I like most of his stuff. He did kind of lose me around the time of "Emancipation". He started releasing his stuff through weird, non-traditional channels, and the consistency of his work suffered. I did see him on the "Musicology" tour, and he was tremendous. Even from the nosebleed seats.

lee newman likes this.
  10. helllord

i was on a bike ride today and take me with you came on shuffle and no shame i was just belting that shit alone in the woods. got caught by passersby and DIDNT CARE they're kidding themselves if they thought they didn't want to listen to prince at that exact moment

11. helllord

i meant to put this in my other post but this is the setlist i got at the show i was at and i still just cannot

Tyr and lee newman like this.
  12. DavidA

DavidA The sun's not yellow, it's chicken

Urgh. Guess I'll have to buy Purple Rain off of Apple Music now. Or iTunes. Or whatever the sticky pudding Tim Cook wants us to use.

13. DavidA

DavidA The sun's not yellow, it's chicken

Parade is my favorite Prince album, btw. Kiss might be the best single of the '80's.

jaycee and lee newman like this.
  14. helllord

prince does this kinda stuff all the time. remember when he said "the internet is over" and refused to put his music anywhere online? i'm sure he'll do this a bunch of different ways over the next couple of years until he creates prince streaming. dude's team is more on top of pulling stuff from the internet than willam is attacking trolls

15. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

I referenced it earlier in the Soundtracks thread, but I'm fascinated by the lyrics in "I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man". It's this great uptempo rock song, but there is an interesting dynamic going on lyrically within that song. If the timeline isn't adjusted in a certain way, one could hear the song as a guy at a bar looking for a one night stand who decides to hit on a slightly suicidal woman who is in her last trimester of pregnancy.

lee newman likes this.
  16. Peyton

Peyton Well-Known Member

I tend to like artists that are all for Tidal which is weird and says a lot about my taste but still have too much love for Prince to be bitter. I'm shocked, really, but meh.

When I was in 1st grade I performed a kid friendly version of Kiss (my mom had mad DJ skills) at the talent show and placed 3rd even though everyone's parents were surprised hahahahahaha. My mom has played the video at every academic celebration of mine because most people describe me as being too serious so it lightens the mood. It's one of my favorites.

Aron likes this.
  17. slugr8

slugr8 Well-Known Member

I remember watching this when it was broadcasted, jaw was on the floor!

lee newman and Taylor like this.
  18. Woob_woob

Woob_woob Well-Known Member

You can't tell us all about a video like this and not show us, right?

Taylor likes this.
  19. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

That was my reaction to0 when I first saw it. Now my reaction is to throw my guitar out the window, luckily sanity usually wins the better of me and I don't watch it very often.

20. helllord

ok guys but that superbowl show