Favorite Bay Area Record Stores

Discussion in 'Bay Area, CA' started by lauraglu, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Steven C California

Steven C California Member

Which?

2. Final_Instrument

Final_Instrument Well-Known Member

Hurt

3. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

Oh gee, last time I was at Slims was in the late 90s. Yikes.

JoeC likes this.
  4. CAPacelli

CAPacelli Well-Known Member

The Independent > Slim's

Really cant stand the huge pillars in the venue at Slim's. And the sound isn't all that great.

5. Slappin

Slappin New Member

Six months later... Mad Monk in Berkeley now has Rasputin's vinyl across the street. It's good. There is a place in RWC on El Camino that has a crazy good selection of used records. An old house that also seems to sell estate jewelry and stuff. Used video games and DVD in a back building. We found a ton of great stuff, it's expensive though. Not much is labeled, I think they size you up before deciding a price. I hate that part of it, but I want to support the place, because it's nice to have around.

Kate Koeppel likes this.
  6. vinylphile69

vinylphile69 New Member

I new here and old, but figured I'd throw in my 2 cent.

Rasputin and Amoeba on Telegraph in Berkeley. Used to spend hours on that street buying vinyl/CDs and Blondie's pizza. Then hit Berkeley Square for whatever band might be playing--Mr. Bungle, Deli Creeps, Tool, Fudge Tunnel etc. Live far aware from the scene now that I'm out of school--but hasn't changed much since last there.

JoeC likes this.
  7. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

Me too. Saw the Geraldine Fibbers there. Great show!

mcherry likes this.
  8. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

Yep. Blondie's, Rasputin, the Greek Theater or Gilman's... Berkeley is a great place for music!

9. Tdogzthmn

Tdogzthmn Member

Living in Oakland and cant't seem to find many good records shops. There is Amoeba and Rasputin in Berkeley but I haven't found one in Oakland that carries a good selection.

Any tips?

10. CAPacelli

CAPacelli Well-Known Member

The nice thing about SF record stores is that they're all pretty specialized. You go to the shop that carries the type of music you want.

For the "best selection" you'll for sure want to make the trek to Amoeba or Rasputin. I'd recommend the Haight Street SF Amoeba location, and Rasputin's is only a couple doors down on the other side of the street. Avoid tourists and go on a weekday. Make and afternoon of it. Grab a beer or three at Milk Bar or Murio's, go crate digging, play some pinball at Free Gold Watch.

Marcoozy likes this.
  11. Tdogzthmn

Tdogzthmn Member

I used to live walking distance from Amoeba in SF which was my primary record store at the time. Now I'm in Oakland and dont have a store in the immediate vicinity but I might try 1234 Go Records which seems like a nice local spot.

CAPacelli likes this.
  12. Kate Koeppel

Kate Koeppel New Member

I really like Econo Jam Records: http://econojamrecords.com They've always got a got selection of new and used hip-hop, R&B, a bit of new, tons of used soul and a good small selection of international. I think they have a whole wall of punk too!

bohnjaggs likes this.
  13. lauraglu

lauraglu Active Member

As mentioned in my original post: https://www.yelp.com/biz/stranded-oakland-3

14. blissfulfatigue

blissfulfatigue Well-Known Member

When my sister and I went to San Francisco four years ago we spent hours digging through the Amoeba and Rasputin in Haight Ashbury. We're going back soon and we plan to make an afternoon of that again.

15. bohnjaggs

bohnjaggs Well-Known Member

Amoeba and Rasputin seem OKAY but they seem like they rarely have sales and I haven't really found many good used deals.

I moved up here in January and so far prefer 1-2-3-4 on Broadway and Econo Jam on Telegraph... I've also heard good things about Contact Records on Broadway near the MacArthur BART but haven't been there yet. All of those are in Oakland.