Favorite Record Stores In Michigan

Discussion in 'Detroit, MI' started by shellytakeabow, Sep 3, 2016.

1. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Agree on Vertigo in Grand Rapids.
    Green Light in Kalamazoo is great.
    Record Lounge in Lansing is nice but small. Not sure how it would compare with Frankenmuth.
    Ann Arbor - Encore might have the type of stuff you are looking for. Pretty big shop.
    In Detroit proper - Peoples Records on Gratiot Ave near Eastern Market on a Saturday. They have a ton of rare 80's house, jazz, etc.
    Dearborn Music is also very big and might have that type of stuff.

2. ryanthellama

ryanthellama New Member

This is all very useful, thank you both! Looks like Third Man doesn't have any tours while I'm in Detroit (or they're all sold out), otherwise that sounds really cool to see. Also good to know about Record Lounge. Just looked at some pictures and Frankenmuth looks significantly bigger, so might be worth the drive.

What are your thoughts on Melodies & Memories in Eastpointe? I've seen some high praise but also some real negative comments.

3. marshall

M&M in Eastpointe is really big. They seem to have a lot of volume but hit and miss on finding nice stuff. You really have to dig hard over there. Depends on what you like. I wouldn't go out of my way to go there but it's fine. I would rather go to Dearborn Music on the other side of town. Still big but better organized.

4. marshall

Third Man is super cool to check out even if there isn't a tour. Selection is limited to their proprietary stuff but it's a super cool shop and you can watch them pressing stuff if it happens to be going on while you are there.

5. MotorCityWax

MotorCityWax Well-Known Member

Melodies and Memories is a weird spot I don't go to but every 10 years. R.I.P. Record Time, R.I.P. Hot Hits, R.I.P. Car City (the best 3 east side record stores.)

6. MotorCityWax

MotorCityWax Well-Known Member

Third Man will have sometimes have exclusive pressings on new release days as well as the weekends - never a guarantee of quantity but many times these versions are only available from the Detroit or Nashville stores (or via Rolling Record Truck). Worth calling ahead to inquire - I just picked up the latest Nashboro reissue from them on purple vinyl last weekend.

7. ryanthellama

ryanthellama New Member

Good to know, thank you! I think I'll skip M&M and unfortunately don't have time for Third Man. I'm also going to try out Vinyl Record Bank in Frankenmuth over the Lansing shops and will post back here about it if anyone's interested!

8. marshall

Have fun. Interested in your thoughts on the Frankenmuth shop.