Feb 19 Essentials ROTM Guess Thread

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by Fleetwood-Matt, Jan 2, 2019.

1. McGlam

McGlam Well-Known Member

Of all the ROTMs which had more people already owned some version of? It seemed as thought A Night at the Opera was in a lot of collections but Low I probably in more- at least for forum members.

2. Robbstarkk

Robbstarkk Well-Known Member

Hot takes on Bowie albums... go (I'll post mine in like 3 hours when I figure it out lol)

3. Robbstarkk

Robbstarkk Well-Known Member

I tried but I can't number them, it just doesn't make sense. So... no order but kind of oopen for discussion.
    Essentials:
    Ziggy
    Heroes
    Scary Monsters
    Black Star
    Let's Dance
    The Man Who Sold the World
    Low
    Not essential but who are we kidding it's Bowie of course it's all essential.
    Hunky Dory
    Lodger
    The Next Day
    Young Americans
    Self title
    Aladdin Sane
    Diamond Dogs
    Pin-ups
    Station to Station
    Reality
    Golden years
    Tonight
    Never let me down.
    Sticky pudding it... all of them are essential. If an album was not included, it is because I intend on purchasing it and will listen then. Outside and Hours are on their way. I only need a few more! My thoughts on over looked stones albums... y'all better get on that After Math train soon, low key one of my favorite records of all time. And as far as Feb rotm... it would be lovely to get VF by Van the man. Don't have it, never listened, happy to go in blind.

4. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

I did a top 11 a few months back, I wouldn’t want go too much lower for fear of appearing to disrespect anything he did by putting it too low lol.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  5. jamieanderson1968

jamieanderson1968 Well-Known Member

I actually put StationToStation at the top of the essential list, plus I think it fits the "esoteric" tag. Bowie (plus everyone involved) was so coked up they don't remember making it. It is very much a crossroads of so many styles all coming together and then branching off again. I think it is very much an album that has a direct lineage to Blackstar.

Of course my opinion will change on this in 48hrs.

6. WMEugene

WMEugene Well-Known Member

My Top 9 Bowie Albums

1. Low
    2. Ziggy
    3. Hunky Dory
    4. Heroes
    5. Scary Monsters
    6. The Man Who Sold The World
    7. Lodger
    8. Station to Station
    9. Aladdin Sane

Large caveat: I’ve never listened to Blackstar. Don’t quite know why. Will remedy that soon. If I’d put 10, it was a tough call between Young Americans and Heathen for that last spot. I left it open for Blackstar.

7. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

8. Burley

Burley Well-Known Member

You probably should.

9. Jmcg85

Jmcg85 Well-Known Member

Black☆ is incredible please listen to it

mentel, Robbstarkk, MadLucas and 9 others like this.
  10. Colonel_Angus

Colonel_Angus Well-Known Member

Do what you will, but I'm calling dibs on band name The Esoteric MMMbops.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  11. chrb98

chrb98 Well-Known Member

Ooooh boy

- even though Heroes the song is obviously GOAT level, Heroes the album is the worst in the Berlin trilogy (yes, worse than Lodger)

- speaking of which, Lodger is a top 5 Bowie album

- So is Blackstar (unsure of the temperature of that specific take)

- Scary Monsters is a lower mid-tier Bowie album and would be solidly low-tier if it weren’t for like two great songs

combedge, turbo, Nathaniel D. and 3 others like this.
  12. jamieanderson1968

jamieanderson1968 Well-Known Member

What other artist could go from recording Diamond Dogs (early 74) to Young Americans to StationToStation to Low (late 76) all in less than 36 months?

That said, I am still pulling for Veedon Fleece.

13. ThePakoBuelna

ThePakoBuelna Well-Known Member

This is one of my favorite posts on this forum.

Nathaniel D. and Vinylnovice like this.
  14. WMEugene

WMEugene Well-Known Member

For fun, here’s a list of artists who could potentially fit the non-North American, albums released in the 70s, (sorta) classic rock clue with an album in the top 100 of Acclaimed Music (which is a great cut-off point since David Bowie’s Low is #101):

The Beatles (I feel like selecting Let It Be with those clues, would be major-league trolling of Beatles fans, so let’s move on)
    The Clash
    The Rolling Stones
    Van Morrison
    David Bowie
    Pink Floyd (not it per Storf)
    Led Zeppelin
    The Who
    Joy Division
    John Lennon
    Elvis Costello

I excluded the Sex Pistols and Derek and the Dominos because both only had one real album.

The list above is shorter than I expected.

Darin Star Boogie, turbo and Jmcg85 like this.
  15. StPaulBrowns

StPaulBrowns Well-Known Member

Thin Lizzy

Woob_woob and Darin Star Boogie like this.
  16. Vizsla14

Vizsla14 Well-Known Member

My unlikely guess: Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

Led Zeppelin IV is probably regarded as the absolute best rock album of all time that isn't prog. Physical Graffiti is the album most loved by diehard fans. Jimmy Page played guitar on a Mavis Staples track. Classic Rock...released in the 70s...

Unlikely because this album is widely available today, but that doesn't completely rule it out.

17. DavidA

DavidA The sun's not yellow, it's chicken

Just give me a stickying pudding reissue of Veedon Fleece. Jesus.

18. Murfocakes

Murfocakes Well-Known Member

I’m a Queen fan. I’m a Van fan. If you appreciate powerful music, emotion, great singing, dynamic playing, there’s an overlap. Quality is the connection.

Bowie hottakes.... hmmm...

You need all of his albums. All of them. It is the most rewarding catalogue of any rock artist.

Never Let Me Down is a great album. The whole first side especially has brilliant pop songs, none of which were improved by the 2018 remix.

Blackstar is a top 5 Bowie album. So is 1.Outside. The 1 at the front can be used when rating his albums.

His worst album is ...hours. Not because it’s bad but because it’s boring (some very good songs like Thursday’s Child and Survive could do without the backing singers and slickness).

The Man Who Sold The World is his most overrated album.

His recent reissue initiative has been really good. Apart from not having the complete Never Let Me Down on Loving The Alien. They took off Too Dizzy which is pop fluff but pleasant enough pop fluff, making an incomplete boxset for completists.

Bowie’s bit of Under Pressure ‘Love’s such an old fashioned word... this is ourselves’ is the best part of the song. His cynicism and intelligence perfectly dovetailing with Freddie’s optimism and humanity.

The Carlos Alomar/Dennis Davis/George Murray band is not only his greatest band (sorry Spiders) but also one of THE greatest rhythm sections and most adaptable bands of all time.

The best songs on Young Americans were the bonus tracks on the ryko cd. Still a 5 star album.

The Next Day has lots of filler on it and would have been a disappointing final release (after the initial excitement died down and the strength of about 8 songs on it there are lots of filler) thus Blackstar was his greatest achievement. The perfect goodbye to his hardcore fans and evidence of him being the greatest of all time.

19. Murfocakes

Murfocakes Well-Known Member

Heroes has Blackout on it which is my favourite Berlin era track. You could argue that his best Berlin albums are Iggy Pop’s The Idiot and Lust For Life (he co-wrote/performed/produced them) which might be a hotter take.

I wouldn’t put Lodger top 5 but it is an excellent album, very like a modern production in its shifting through sounds and styles. I listen to it as a Travelogue. The Visconti Remix of it on ANCIANT is very good, well worth a listen hearing his voice more prominent.

Blackstar is one of his greatest. No argument here.

Scary Monsters? Come on. Teenage Wildlife, where he parodies his own voice and the copycats (Numan) with those brilliant lyrics ‘Those midwives To history put on their bloody robes’, the classic singles Ashes/Fashion/Scary Monsters, Robert Fripp’s awesome avant-blues guitar, It’s No Game Part 1 (such an exciting opener), the Tom Verlaine cover version (which Bowie improves on) - it’s a definite classic in my book. So different from everything happening at the time and an evolution of what he was doing as well.

20. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of Esoterica myself!