Fed Ex incompetence: only Minnesota or everywhere?

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by MikeyPD, Mar 14, 2019 at 3:48 PM.

1. MikeyPD

MikeyPD Well-Known Member

As my monthly delivery gets closer to my home, they keep moving the delivery date further and further. First Tuesday, then Wednesday, then Friday. Now Saturday.

This is a joke and it happens all the time. Could VMP possibly use another shipper? Preferably a shipper that isn’t complexity useless.

Does anyone else experience this regularly? UPS and USPS are clockwork for me.

jaycee likes this.
  2. jaycee

jaycee Well-Known Member

I’m in StP and this has happened to me too. It also feels like my package is coming later and later each month. I still haven’t received a shipping notice this month.

3. WMEugene

WMEugene Well-Known Member

To answer your larger question, it’s everywhere. From my experience, they’re the worst of the major three shippers. I actually find USPS to be the best shockingly enough.

4. MikeyPD

I will continue to wait with bated breath. Haha

Darin Star Boogie likes this.
  5. Gonzfather

Gonzfather Well-Known Member

I've noticed the more records I add to my order, the slower it is to arrive. someone once explained that this due to "Smartpost" which is a cheap way of shipping, where i think its "we'll move it when we can."
    So the shipment that was sent to me in December (holiday season shipping time) was VERY slow

6. Gonzfather

Gonzfather Well-Known Member

Oddly, this acts as a disincentive for me to order more LPs -- since the less in the box, the faster it seems to come to me. Or maybe i'm looking for patterns where there are none.

7. AndySlash

AndySlash i know del griffith

got my ship notice on the 9th, stating delivery 'around 14 march, 2019', and it showed up this morning.

8. MikeyPD

FedEx changed their mind again and made Friday the delivery date. And it arrived!

Darin Star Boogie and djdavedk like this.
  9. MikeyPD

But currently I’m waiting for a record from Amazon scheduled to be delivered by FedEx today.

Despite it is currently in Baltimore according to the tracking. Hahaha.

10. Vizsla14

Vizsla14 Well-Known Member

Everywhere.

VMP uses FedEx Smartpost. From what I understand, your package is lumped in with a bunch of other packages and tossed on a truck heading in your general direction before handing it over to USPS for final delivery. Sometimes, that bunch of packages strays a little off path.

I live just south of Washington, DC and my packages routinely pass DC and end up in Pennsylvania. My guess is that the truck jumps on highway 81 and just never stops. When it gets stuck up there long enough, FedEx will send the box to a distribution center in Leesburg, VA (45mins away) and sends a truck DIRECTLY to my house, skipping the USPS handoff. I know this becuase I've watched the package get scanned out at Dulles and the package is on my door 45-50 minutes later.

11. WMEugene

WMEugene Well-Known Member

They definitely go up I-81, mine goes from NC to Hagerstown to Martinsburg, then to USPS. The first leg of that trip involves them driving within a mile of my house. Too bad they can’t just drop it off on the way. Would save me about 3-5 days!

djdavedk likes this.
  12. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

so FedEx SmartPost has set hubs that trucks normally go to, people in Portland have their box go to Seattle because that is where the hub is, just a function of this shipping service (VMP claims this is the best service for least amount of damage - though I bet cost is a large factor - also this service isn't really different from UPS SurePost)

13. djdavedk

djdavedk Well-Known Member

6B12481C-6CB7-43F8-9437-5AA7E10E4AF9.png

I’m in eastern PA. I don’t know where Jackson PA is, but it was scanned there and is now in NJ.

14. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

looks like it is Jackson Township

15. Darin Star Boogie

Darin Star Boogie Well-Known Member

My box arrived in St. Paul on the 14th and then sat in Osseo for 3 days before finally deciding to move this morning to Shakopee.

It was scheduled to land today for the past two days, and I was really hoping for that since I have this entire day free to enjoy them. But nope, they won’t come today. Frustrating, as I just want my De La

lee newman and NathanRicaud like this.
  16. roger

roger Well-Known Member

according to tracking VMP sent it over to them on the 5th and my delivery date is still pending.

17. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

doubt it was sent to FedEx on the 5th, that was probably the day VMP had the label printed

18. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

We've had a few threads focused on this. I'm sure it's a complex problem for VMP.

Like others have said, it's not really FedEx as a whole that's the problem. It's SmartPost. That discount process brings a lot of variables into play. Once I understood how it works I did become less frustrated with the waiting though.

The simple explanation is SmartPost packages are lower priority. It gets to a facility and is in a separate "pile" effectively. Once they have all the other packages on a truck, they see what space they have left, and they add in the SmartPost stuff next. Explains why things can slow as it gets closer and why the holidays can take MUCH longer.

It is what it is. I'd love for VMP to offer upgraded shipping, but I think actually implementing that might be exponentially more difficult than it seems from the outside.

19. SKOT_FREE

SKOT_FREE Well-Known Member

It’s everywhere. One time the Post office delivered my Diamond D record and sat it near the steps even though if she sat it near the door it’d be under protection. Of course it rained so I come home to find the package soaked over 1/4 of the packaging. To make it worse it soaked down to the record cover. I was able to doctor it tho and it didn’t get mouldy or cause the cardboard to warp but I was pissed because I had found a rare promo for the record and it would have taken me forever and a mint to replace.

ThePakoBuelna likes this.
  20. SKOT_FREE

SKOT_FREE Well-Known Member

Went kind of off course on that one....Lol but it’s not just Fed Ex, Btw. I used to work for UPS and besides driver neglect, there’s policies in place where your packages are allowed to get tossed over gates. If you have a Dog for example, expect your package to get tossed over the gate. Another example is if your dog is hiding out, and attacks your package will be used as either protection or bait. I’m not even kidding. So sound advice, if you have a dog that seems remotely vicious between your gate and door, put it up.

ThePakoBuelna likes this.