Feist - Let It Die (Sept 2018 Essentials ROTM)

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by mcherry, Aug 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Darin Star Boogie

Darin Star Boogie Well-Known Member

But we seem to be the only two with this issue...? Makes me believe a better copy is out there waiting for me.

Phaneronic and Mather like this.
  2. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Bjorgen has the same issue, but I'm sure they aren't all like this. Hopefully it's not widespread.

Phaneronic and Darin Star Boogie like this.
  3. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

I’ve got noise during the entirety of Lonely Lonely that lasts through the runout. Given the positive reports, I’m hopeful there is a replacement worth having. It’s always good to remember we’ve picked a finicky hobby. I just wish Matt there would have some good luck for once.

4. uvwxVinyl

uvwxVinyl Well-Known Member

11 WARPS? wow, see you over in the PIF thread buddy:whistle:

displayname, JoeMac7, Skalap and 6 others like this.
  5. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

Holy shit, that's bad. I had 3 of 13 with significant warps (CS is already sending replacements) and 3 others mildly wavy but I can live with. The other 7 were flat as a pancake.

6. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

I didn't notice but I may not have been paying enough attention. I'll check tonight and report back with whether my copy has this too.

7. GStephenH

GStephenH Well-Known Member

Both noise and "pre-echo" on one of the songs in the left channel for mine. Going to need a replacement.

JoeMac7, Phaneronic, Mather and 2 others like this.
  8. Carlos

Carlos Member

Mine has a couple of loud pops at the end of Lonely Lonely and through the runout. I've cleaned enough records to know cleaning will not fix these types of groove pops, but I'll live with it, its at the very end and doesn't take away from the music. Sorry to hear about the bad copies, such a great record and quality pressing.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    turbo, Phaneronic, Mather and 2 others like this.
  9. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, there's a world of PIFs coming this month.

10. mdl

mdl Well-Known Member

Finally got my box delivered today.
    Have to say that the vinyl colour looks so good when you actually see it live.

Gorg.

11. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

So my copy sounds pretty good at Lonely Lonely. It's a very quiet track - I do hear a background hiss with the vocals during the quietest parts. I believe that's from the recording or mastering itself. Otherwise, your standard minor vinyl dust here and there, again audible because that track is so quiet. I get one click at the very end of the track into the inner grooves. Like a small particle or scratch but I see no visual defect.

Mather likes this.
  12. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Yeah, that click is most likely the same issue we have, but to a minimal amount. I had similar issues with Paranoid. Some copies had rhythmic crackle throughout the end of the final track, others only had it on the runout... But it's the same basic pressing issue, whatever it is. Glad yours is just a single click.

13. Smansmith

Smansmith Well-Known Member

My copy has a slight imperfection baked inside the vinyl - it doesn't affect play as far as I know but I should really watch/listen when the needle gets there as I may not have had my "intent listening" on when I played it yesterday...

IMG_9478.JPG

14. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Honestly that's probably not going to be a problem, probably just a tiny bit of extraneous black vinyl. I've got that on several discs and haven't caused any playback issues yet. As long as it's IN it not ON it you'll be fine.

15. Melancholy_Melody

Melancholy_Melody Well-Known Member

I’m playing mine right now. It’s sublime EXCEPT for the last few minutes of Lonely Lonely and into the runout. I’m not sure if I should ask for a replacement, but I should at least report it, right?

Edit: definitely reporting it as my stylus is also skating at the end.

16. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

yes, please

17. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

To be more precise, my click starts at the very end of the song's fade-out and last for maybe 5-6 revolutions into the run-out. Like a small scratch. Not an issue for me given the song is pretty much over.

I feel lucky it's pretty minor.

18. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Yep, I agree... But I guarantee that click you're hearing is the same issue that many others have, but yours isn't as bad... It's a pressing problem, maybe a bad plate.

19. ponman2003

ponman2003 Well-Known Member

Little beauty mark. It’s like the Marilyn Monroe of Feist albums.

20. LeftOfSound

LeftOfSound Well-Known Member

Finally back home and my tasty tasty box was faithfully waiting for me. So far only spun Eddie Gale and Feist. As others mentioned, my Eddie Gale is not numbered. It doesn't really bother me, but I understand why it does for some and it mostly just makes curious what VMP's 'official' protocol for such things are. Are they included in the numbered run? Are they 'extras'? How many extras get made?

Also did not receive Sabbath, but they packed the art print and cocktail recipe anyway, which just seems like an odd fulfillment choice to me. Definitely a little peeved that the pressing is available through other outlets when ordering it through the Club directly couldn't be fulfilled.

Also as others mentioned, the Feist pressing is gorgeous. It has given me a new appreciation for a lot of the songs I had forgotten about since it was first released, and songs that previously didn't do anything for me I really like a lot now. It's also probably the flattest record I have ever seen (so I guess it actually *is* possible to produce flat records!!!), my pressing also does not seem to have any of the pops and/or clicks others have mentioned at the end of the sides, so I'm happy for that.

Unless my next box also arrives the last week of the month, probably won't even get through this box before the next one arrives!