Fluance RT85 Pics and First Impressions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dinglehead, Dec 21, 2018.

1. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I played same song same volume etc, on a rock, jazz, and rap song. For example, the half speed remaster of The Police - Roxanne (which btw that box set is amazing)... On the Uturn, it sounded great. Nice. Full. Deep. But maybe a bit muddied, which is hard to notice on its own. If nothing better came along, very enjoyable and would be totally satisfied. On the Fluance, all of the details jump out, but don't bury the underlying richness of the sound. Great soundstage. Does that make sense? Probably like upgrading a preamp?? Again, it could be the cart, but that cart alone in the US is over 200. It's almost a freebie or a $50 upgrade on that table with that pricepoint.

2. WhidbeySteve

WhidbeySteve Member

Agreed - I have no qualms about having to buy the gloss black RT85. In fact, since it's black there isn't an issue with the walnut grain clashing with other wood finishes on the furniture that houses it. :)

3. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

I’ll confess that I have a love of mixing different wood tones in a room. The fact that it’s a gloss veneer rather than a Matt or a real wood one would probably dissuade me a little.

Nathaniel D., Aelias and GritNGlitter like this.
  4. Shin Hayata

Shin Hayata Well-Known Member

Which is what I plan to do in the future. Figured I'd ask this now though...

When upgrading from the black to the 8MZ stylus, does one have to adjust the tracking Force?

btw I'm so glad I went with the black over the ortofon option.

AnthonyI, HiFi Guy and displayname like this.
  5. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

No, remove the old stylus and fit the new one.

AnthonyI and Shin Hayata like this.
  6. Shin Hayata

Thanks! So is that essentially the only upgrade path I would have with my black1.

Wouldn't even higher end Grado stylus fit?

I just got my Orbit table back in September, so I have no plans to upgrade in the immediate future, but just asking for when I eventually do.

7. HiFi Guy

They make a couple of higher end styli beyond the 8MZ, but they require different loading than the standard 47K. It requires soldering skills to make adaptors for your phono cables. I'm not bothering.

AnthonyI, Nathaniel D. and JoeMac7 like this.
  8. Shin Hayata

Doesn't seem like it might be worth the trouble for most. I certainly wouldn't do that.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

So it looks like the ortofon has a much better upgrade path.

Still don't regret going the the Grado route. Not bright and a nice amount of low-end.

9. HiFi Guy

Ortofon has limited upgrade as well:

Red to Blue or Bronze to Black- they have 2 cartridge bodies within the 2m series. You can fit a Black stylus on a Red body but you don't end up with a Black.

I've heard the Red plenty. Not a fan. And I owned a Bronze for a very short period of time. Hated it. I sold it here and the buyer didn't keep it long. He sold it to a third person here. Not sure what happened after that.

10. marshall

It is real wood.

11. GritNGlitter

GritNGlitter Well-Known Member

But glossy. Looks nice though.

HiFi Guy and JoeMac7 like this.
  12. tdawe

tdawe Well-Known Member

So after a couple more evenings of testing, here's my situation: I've been tracking at the recommended 1.8g (with matching anti-skate setting) on records that have been Spin-Cleaned and brushed. When I throw a clean record on after not using the table for a while, I get really good/perfect sound for a track or two, but as I roll through the side, staticky noise starts to build up gradually. I've experimented by then moving the needle back to A1 (which sounded clean the first time through), and I get static. If I switch quickly to another clean record, I get static off the bat. Any ideas/suggestions?

13. marshall

Does it help if you clean the stylus?

AnthonyI likes this.
  14. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

I would make sure the albums are perfectly dry after the Spin Clean. I had a SC and it worked well, but I did notice I would get residue on the stylus. I started cleaning my stylus before each spinning session but would still have residue.

I was using different drying cloths and went back to the SC supplied ones and it did help. I would concentrate on your cleaning ritual and keep an eye on your stylus.

Nathaniel D. and JoeMac7 like this.
  15. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

Definitely make sure of this. You have to make sure you get every bit of the fluid off the record and the spin clean cloths do this much better than any others I have.

My ritual is to hold the record (with one cloth) in my left hand while rotating it clockwise through the cloth in my right hand using a firm enough grip to make sure I’m getting all the liquid out of the grooves. I find 3-4 full rotations does the trick.

AnthonyI likes this.
  16. tdawe

tdawe Well-Known Member

I've been cleaning the stylus a lot during this period, but I've also used that as an experimental variable. I play a clean record with a clean needle and get an initially clean sound, followed by a buildup of static over 10-20 minutes of play. Then an hour later I play another clean record without cleaning the stylus and get the same initial clean sound followed by buildup. To me that suggested that gunk on the stylus probably wasn't the issue, but then again I don't know what I'm talking about.

JoeMac7 likes this.
  17. tdawe

tdawe Well-Known Member

That's basically what I've done, except that as I was packing up after my last cleaning session I noticed the bold-faced directive in the instructions to dry clockwise, and I realized that I've been going counter-clockwise. I would be surprised to find out that that's the reason why every single record is consistently rendered unlistenable by the end of one side. But again I don't know what I'm talking about.

JoeMac7 likes this.
  18. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

Counterclockwise will pull fibers from the cloths because the grooves are rougher in that direction.

GritNGlitter, JoeMac7 and AnthonyI like this.
  19. HiFi Guy

Two things-

Set your anti skate with this method- I am thinking you have too much anti skate.

https://www.sound-smith.com/faq/how-do-i-adjust-anti-skating-my-cartridge

And never use any tape of fluid to clean an Ortofon stylus- the diamond is apt to go MIA.

AnthonyI and JoeMac7 like this.
  20. tdawe

tdawe Well-Known Member

Thanks - I've been using an Onzow zerodust (and some dabs with a magic eraser as part of my various experiments), is that okay?