Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma (Jan '19 Essentials ROTM)

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by ponman2003, Nov 30, 2018.

1. notgabewhite

notgabewhite Well-Known Member

Yeah I love this album. Especially the last track

2. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

Fake record pops scare me. I feel like I don't spin Biggie that much because I have trouble getting through all the recording issues with it. But I'll wait until I have it before I pass judgement.

3. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

@Mather wasn’t here for all the fun when we got Odelay.

4. chrb98

chrb98 Well-Known Member

Anyone able to compare it to a previous Cosmogramma pressing? I sold my older copy on Discogs when I heard that VMP's version would be remastered, but I recall it sounding pretty damn good. Curious to see how much of an improvement this one is

5. displayname

Bold move! I always keep the duplicate to compare and then decide. With VMP or others.

6. displayname

I had no issues with Odelay. It was my first and I loved and still love every second of it. In my mind that will always be Beck's strongest work, and I think VMP did it justice.
    So maybe all the background stuff didn't bother me because I've heard it thousands of times.

7. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

One of the issues is there was a batch of noisy records (I know, I got one) and people we questioning what noise was supposed to be there and what wasn’t. People were telling me the noise on mine was supposed to be there. Like you, I knew it like the back of my hand and was like... no the noise on mine is persistent the entirety of one side.

8. Darin Star Boogie

Darin Star Boogie Well-Known Member

Okay, first of all this sounds stickying pudding GREAT! Really an amazing choice by VMP. This is why I’m here. Had known about Flying Lotus but had never really dug into his albums and ended up grabbing every release of his through VMP.

Second, sticky pudding, I got a slight warp. Is this worthy of asking for a replacement? I don’t know how much these effect the tone arm and such so I’m asking for help here. sticky pudding, I just want a nice copy of this album. :(

9. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

If that was me I would. Mine is slightly warped but it's less than that so I left it. That's definitely worthy of a replacement.

Urbs_hott, DeadwaxDude, turbo and 3 others like this.
  10. Darin Star Boogie

I want to. I just feel weird emailing every other month for replacements. But, honestly, for $29 I want a NICE copy.

(Yes, I do the month to month price. Don’t ask me why)

11. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

DON'T FEEL BAD. Listen no matter how much you email, I email more. Like, by a landslide. That should not look like that. That abrupt jump will hurt your stylus and wear out the record in that spot. Send them that video when you ask for one. Also, being international I pay $47 CAD a month for Essentials. So you can understand why I don't settle for any warped shit.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  12. Darin Star Boogie

Oh, and I love the art print that came with this one. Normally I’m whatever on them. But this month’s is excellent and oddly fitting

13. Darin Star Boogie

Hmmmm, so starting Side B I notice that it’s completely flat. Does that present me with the opportunity to potentially correct it?

14. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Nawwwwwt really. I mean you can try to press it between two flat surfaces with a good amount of weight on top for like... weeks... And maybe it will help. But usually with those kinda warps one side will be good, the other will be warped. Get a replacement and play that one in the mean time if you want to.

15. Darin Star Boogie

I’ll email CS tomorrow. Thanks for your input, now and in the past. Truly appreciate it.

Getting crazy goosebumps right now listening to “Do The Astral Plane.” This sounds leagues better than my car stereo. This very well might’ve my favorite “Essentials” ROTM.

bfly, DeadwaxDude, turbo and 8 others like this.
  16. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Any time man!

DeadwaxDude, turbo, Hollywood and 2 others like this.
  17. Bringmecoffeeortea

Bringmecoffeeortea Member

Have both, yet to spin the vmp copy that arrived last night. Will compair later this morning once I can play both loud enough. Prefer the original pressings inner sleeves by far however.

18. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

I also think that's worthy of an email to @info.

19. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

You probably have a dish warp of some sort. They often look flat on one side while the edge lifts on the other. Still warped on the "flat" looking side, it's just concave but the edges of the record rest fully on the platter. In my experience, that side will often flatten nicely with a clamp, but that's not always the case with the lifting side.

EDIT: when you put the "flat" side on the platter, see if you can push down on the center of the record with your finger - it will pop back up if there's a dish.

20. dbarila

dbarila Well-Known Member

I'd describe mine as the same way. Disc 1 is slightly warped but not as bad as the above video shows. I'm probably not going to do anything about it. There's definitely been worse.

Darin Star Boogie, Mather and turbo like this.