Gear with Price Tags that Make Your Jaw Drop

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by displayname, Oct 30, 2018.

1. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

I thought this might be a fun random thread. Inspired by @MBroadus realizing that cartridges can get upwards of $5K.

Obviously this thread will be full of fun snake oil things, so let's play nice. Poking fun is different than hating on something someone really believes in, keep that in mind here. This also will be a great thread for drool worthy gear we all wish we had unlimited funds for. Even if you have a $100K system, it doesn't mean you don't want a different insane system to add a little spice to life.

So let's see it, what are the things that looked cool right up until you saw the price tag? Or things that you think look silly, and then looked extra silly when you saw the price.

I'll kick it off with a few things:
    Focal Grande Utopia EM EVO look amazing... if I wanted to make a clean trade for my house.
    [​IMG]

And that I discovered Wilson Audio...
    "Entry Level" starting TuneTot starting just under $10K
    [​IMG]

Moving all the way up to the WAMM coming in at nearly $700K.
    [​IMG]

I figure for these big boys I'd probably need to go ahead and sell my car to get appropriate speaker cable as well.

hamicle, AnthonyI, SnowmaNick and 3 others like this.
  2. MBroadus

MBroadus Member

:D:D:D I saw the Focal Grande Utopia EM EVOs in a teal green last weekend when I purchased a pair Focal Aria 906s for 2 channel listening. Unbelievably beautiful speaker...they would probably spit out my monoprice speaker cables.

3. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

Honestly. If I was spending 100k or 700k on floorstanders I’d have wanted them to employ someone for aesthetics. Both of those insanely priced floorstanders are amongst the ugliest things I could imagine, even if I could afford them they wouldn’t be coming near my house!

hamicle, AnthonyI, Thackeraye and 2 others like this.
  4. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

This is gonna be fun.

AnthonyI and displayname like this.
  5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley Well-Known Member

The Living Voice Vox Olympian. Prices start (start) at three quarters of a million pounds

vox.jpg

Worth it? You can't define worth at this point but it is an incredible achievement.

6. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

6BFEEB71-0CB5-4C13-B8B1-FA88BF10E8D6.jpeg
    I’d throw in the Grado Epoch at a reasonable $12K USD to keep the aesthetic going.

7. JoeMac7

Now that I could imagine wanting to look at as well as listen to if I had the cash!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  8. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

"From an early age all WAMM wanted to do was make beautiful music despite his hideous exterior... His brother... decided to go the more obvious villainous route..."

220px-Megatron.jpg

9. displayname

The wood work is stunning. And the Grado that @blujay posted is the obvious aesthetic match. But what worthy TT would fit that natural wood look?

AnthonyI and blujay like this.
  10. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Well-Known Member

100% agree. Ooogly!

AnthonyI and JoeMac7 like this.
  11. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

12. GStephenH

GStephenH Well-Known Member

13. JoeMac7

AnthonyI, displayname and blujay like this.
  14. Ed Selley

It's pretty but if we're going to do this in a properly spendy way, we're going to need one of these;[​IMG]

This is an Audio Note Io Ltd and it costs somewhere in the region of £15,000. Without extras.

You will note that on the back it has six pins instead of four. This is because it doesn't have installed magnets and instead uses field coils- reportedly the smallest production field coils in the world. These require an external PSU but generate a performance that is utterly otherwordly. Of course, you need to budget for a supply for the coils (the best seem to be battery operated) and a phono stage that can work with it. This is harder than it sounds because the output is 0.02mV so you need a fair bit of gain.

lee newman, AnthonyI, wooha and 3 others like this.
  15. displayname

I love the wood theme we're taking on here. I'd imagine there are some extremely high end phonostages, preamps, and mono blocks with some wood casings or at least wood face plates. Some tubes might fit well with our million dollar aesthetic. Because at these prices, I shouldn't be restricted to metal, how else would my system sound natural?

16. SnowmaNick

SnowmaNick Well-Known Member

HiFi Guy, AnthonyI and blujay like this.
  17. Ed Selley

You see, I don't entirely disagree but some things are made from materials that aren't wood but are made of things are ridiculously cool.

Case in point, the Wilson Benesch Nanotube One

[​IMG]

That name isn't for show. It was the first series production item in the world to use a carbon nanotube infused fibre weave. That taper in the arm length is face meltingly hard to do. The calculations for trying to achieve the same strength to mass calculations in metal are alarming.

Of course, that hasn't stopped someone trying;

[​IMG]

The Vertere Reference is made from titanium. In fact the entire tube, headshell and front bearing hub are machined from one single billet of titanium. The £20,000+ cost is reflected in the fact that milling it out (and drilling the tube) tends to be quite destructive on tooling...

To be clear, I love wood too but I also love the balls out application of technology which is often otherwise solely the preserve of unpleasant war machines for the purposes of making music. It makes me hope we won't wind up turning each other to ash.

hamicle, lee newman, AnthonyI and 7 others like this.
  18. SnowmaNick

SnowmaNick Well-Known Member

Sticking with wood and Audio Note, how about these beauties? I always thought copper and wood were complimentary aesthetics.

BC14A6C9-17C4-46DB-9C4D-201C3B0E4D2F.jpeg

Audio Note Gaku-On 45 WPC tune mono-blocks? A cool $265k/pr. So two pair then for bi-amping?

http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/amps_monoblock/gaku-on_01.shtml

If we are going with the Audio Note and wood combo, I don’t know if the Wilsons are the best bet. Maybe shoot for something with a bit higher efficiency? If you’re set on the transformer looking Wilson’s though, these are a natural fit:

3748ABFB-6995-458B-927F-EDB313D551BF.jpeg

Pivetta Opera Only, Just trade in your spare helicopter (or three) for it. Use the choppers first to get it in your penthouse as it weighs over 3,000 lbs.

http://www.onlycreative.it/opera-only

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    lee newman, AnthonyI and displayname like this.
  19. displayname

No reason we can't plan a an appropriate wood based system to fit one room (I'm thinking fairy tail library) and an ultra modern exotic metals/materials system for another listening room.

Because if everything has a slightly different sound, and an obviously different look, I'm going to dream up matching my systems to fit the look and sound of the aesthetic of every room. :ROFLMAO:

That single titanium billet arm is crazy though. I prefer the looks factor of the nanotube, but I would have never guessed that arm was all one piece.

20. Ed Selley

Ironically, the Living Voice speakers I posted earlier are designed for this sort of thing- they have a posted sensitivity of 106dB/w... Of course the man who builds them is the distributor of the divorced spouse of Audio Note, a company called Kondo. As such, he'd probably prefer their GakuOn...;

[​IMG]

I have to be honest, as the Vox Olympian is so sensitive, I'd save $200,000 (really) and go with the AirTight ATM-211

[​IMG]

It is honestly one of the single most perfectly made things I've ever seen. And nearly killed myself unboxing.

lee newman, AnthonyI, wooha and 2 others like this.