Heat Shielding for Speaker Wires

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CAPacelli, May 17, 2018.

1. CAPacelli

CAPacelli Well-Known Member

Going to be moving in to a new place in less than two months and I will need to run speaker wires along the wall underneath a radiator.

Is there a type of recommended sheathing I can buy that will protect the wires from the heat in the winter and keep them from melting?

lee newman likes this.
  2. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

I wonder if you couldn’t use a high-temp sleeve like you’d put in an engine compartment for auto wiring. Failing that, if it’s a short space you might be able to just get some foil-type heat shield material at your local Napa or O’Reillys and cut it to length, then fold it over the wiring and put it under the rug or something.

lee newman likes this.
  3. bruggles

bruggles Well-Known Member

How close and how hot are we talking? Would a PVC pipe be sufficient? Just cut some pipe, paint it the color of the walls or radiator and run the cable through that. You could also add the heat reflecting material the bird speaks of for additional protection.

EDIT: ABS*** not PVC...

displayname likes this.
  4. CAPacelli

CAPacelli Well-Known Member

That was one of my first thoughts, I'll have to see how high the temp ratings goes on automotive shielding

Close, like, right behind the radiator against the wall. ABS pipe may work, but I want to make this as aesthetically pleasing as possible for the girlfriend's sake. She already tolerates my huge speakers, I don't want to push it with :p

5. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

If the heat is too much, you could always do thin cable channeling from the corner up to the crown at the ceiling, painted to match, to the opposite corner and run it back. Not ideal, but if you can’t go under or through, over might be the last choice.

displayname likes this.
  6. wgb113

wgb113 Well-Known Member

Techflex makes some high temp wire coverings.

CAPacelli likes this.