Hip Hop!

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by Jake!, Mar 28, 2015.

1. jaycee

jaycee Well-Known Member

I was trying to describe to my s.o. what went down yesterday with the Covert Coup release and subsequent sell-out 20 secs later and I haven't been able to find something that fully describes that event and what's been happening more generally.

It's something akin to the real-estate game resulting in gentrification. Is it morally wrong that Al sold that album for $50+ shipping? or that flippers are taking the opportunity away from the people that really want to own the album because they care about the music on it? The economist says no and the human being says yes? One person's flipper is another person's entrepreneur. One person's slum landlord is another's real estate mogul.

It's frustrating for sure and I don't have any solid answers. I'm part of the problem. I buy these things.... just like I'm trynig to be able to afford a home in a neigborhood that isn't too dangerous. My intentions are to own that vinyl to listen to it and own that home to live in it...not flip it so I'm behaving as I see fit, but I'm still contributing to the inequality.

I'm happy to pay the artist for their product, but I'm not sure that's really what's happening here anymore. Cutting-out the industry middle-men has had a multitude of benefits, but it hasn't resulted in any less haves and have nots. The sellers are only moving 500 units (maybe that's false scarcity? - not unlike the real estate market) and the buyers are paying too much for the limited stock. The rents just keep going-up.

2. Selaws

Selaws Well-Known Member

Im against flippers. The idea of physically planning on buying up as much limited stock to then sell on to actual fans that missed out for a ton of money makes me uncomfortable.

HOWEVER. I have (and still am) in the position where I look through my records and find one that doesn't get much plays, head over to discogs and see it being sold for 10x what I bought it for. Now theres no way im going to sell it for face value as its no longer its actual value, plus I can use that money to add to my record pot, train fares, mortgage payments, etc. Always a tricky situation, especially when the records I choose to resell jump up in value straight after - if your not sold on your first listen do you sell it for 10x the price or what you paid for it?

jaycee, Woob_woob and ThePakoBuelna like this.
  3. Melt Face Molly Drop

Melt Face Molly Drop Well-Known Member

This is tough because the price May be super high because all copies were snatched up by flippers, thus inflating the cost. I get what you’re saying as cost may organically rise over time, but it’s definitely a worthwhile conversation to be had and I don’t fault you for it.

4. Cloud

Cloud Well-Known Member

Benny the Butcher vinyl ltd. 300

Hunna, Enaz Fox, jaycee and 1 other person like this.
  5. itrustmyguitar

itrustmyguitar Well-Known Member

That Benny vinyl 12" is up at Franks Vinyl. About $30 shipped for the Obi Editions. Little less for the others. Doesn't seem to be selling very fast. I grabbed the camo Obi version.

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 11.07.29 AM.png

Hunna, Enaz Fox, jaycee and 1 other person like this.
  6. itrustmyguitar

itrustmyguitar Well-Known Member

You beat me. LOL!

Enaz Fox and Cloud like this.
  7. Cloud

Cloud Well-Known Member

I grabbed the camo obi as well. I think this will sell as fast as the Conway “Untitled Drums” record did.

8. Selaws

Selaws Well-Known Member

Yeah great point about the fake inflation.

My big example would be Frank Oceans Blond. I bought it on its release like a lot of people did. Between buying and having it shipped I streamed the album quite a bit and enjoyed it. Once it arrived I was in the position where I was quite busy and didnt get to play records too much, meaning it sat sealed on the shelf for ages. I then saw all the hype about it and the prices people were paying so I decided to keep it sealed for a bit, I wasn't in a particular rush to play it. Its now 2 and a bit years later and I still have the sealed copy which discogs is telling me is valued at £320 (plus mines sealed). This has constantly risen in price since its release (i believe the average was around £250 this time last year). I feel bad because im now keeping it as an investment, but equally if there was a record I really wanted but knew someone who had one and was keeping it as an investment (like I am) then it would annoy me.

9. jaycee

jaycee Well-Known Member

I'll take that off your hands for what you paid for it plus shipping.

10. Melt Face Molly Drop

Melt Face Molly Drop Well-Known Member

I just noticed your location. Is this your IG account? Because I lost my shit for a good 20 minutes after seeing it:

59C46DC2-F08A-48A2-8822-F23A87261B57.jpeg

ThePakoBuelna and jaycee like this.
  11. jaycee

jaycee Well-Known Member

Nah not me... but I'm glad someone got a laugh out of it.
    I'm way too boring for IG

12. dirty hands

dirty hands Well-Known Member

I look at what it has sold for, what it's currently selling for and the condition of mine compared to others. Say I preorder a record for $25 and wasn't able to hear it before purchasing and then when I do it's like oh..this isn't for me. I look online and it's a sold out variant with people trying to sell it for $75 on up. I recognize that if I throw it up for $55 I'm still charging more than what I've paid but I'm also offering something cheaper than other people. If it just sits there then I'll lower the price more and possibly add the option to make offers. I don't know if that is fair, but also it's like I took the time to follow a release and did what I could to make sure I got a copy. Limited releases are tricky. Usually I'm happy to at least make my money back on something if it's unwanted by me. Idk. Everything I order is intended for me, but sometimes FOMO makes me end up with records I don't enjoy.

edit: the point of me putting anything on Discogs is to move it. I can wait for months and hope someone buys my overpriced record or I can try to be fair and turn the record around faster which allows me money to buy more shit I don't need

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Selaws likes this.
  13. Selaws

Selaws Well-Known Member

Not the first time I have had that offer haha.

Enaz Fox and jaycee like this.
  14. jaycee

jaycee Well-Known Member

I personally don't take issue with selling something for what you can get for it, particularly if you bought it to own and not 'flip' it... there's a difference in my mind between what you're doing and buying-up stock to manipulate the market, but there's no difference in the market's mind.
    So what's the answer? Do we limit purchases to one or two? What about people using multiple email addresses to create multiple accounts? Is this on the artist / seller to regulate?

I guess I'd like to see some kind-of limit on the # you can purchase, but I doubt that will do much to eliminate the probem.

NateOEB and Selaws like this.
  15. jaycee

jaycee Well-Known Member

I really dig the track with El Camino but I don't want to pay $30 for it... I think I'm sitting this one out.

Enaz Fox, ThePakoBuelna and Woob_woob like this.
  16. dirty hands

I think a limit is a great idea. Castle Face is a label that sticks out to me because they've always had a limit of 2 per person for colored variants. There are people that can easily fake a different account or whatever, but say in a case like Covert Coup where it sold out so quickly, if there was a limit of 2 then it would at least make it harder to stock up and allow other people a better chance

Cloud, Woob_woob and jaycee like this.
  17. jaycee

jaycee Well-Known Member

and Castle Face comes through with an amazing product. They care about the music, the artwork, the pressing, the packaging, the shipping...every step of the way.

Enaz Fox and Woob_woob like this.
  18. Selaws

Selaws Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree with that. Ill Considered limited their first presseses to 1 per customer which I think worked really well.

ThePakoBuelna, Woob_woob and jaycee like this.
  19. jaycee

jaycee Well-Known Member

20. dirty hands

was that press of Covert Coup for the fans or for the money? something to consider. am I going to be blown away by the packaging and mastering of this album to the point of feeling I got my money's worth or did I just fall into the hype?