Houston Record Stores

Discussion in 'The Texas Vinyl Spiral' started by TAP, Jun 21, 2017.

1. TAP

TAP New Member

Houston folks - which record store is fair for trade in/store credit? Should I avoid any specific store(s)? Any recommendations? I am up in the burbs, so don't get down inside the loop too often

Not really feeling my fiona apple and national exclusive and I am completely clueless when it comes to selling on discogs/paypal

2. kickerofelves

kickerofelves Well-Known Member

They're the big dogs but I've actually found Cactus to be the most generous with their trade-in prices.

3. swamp

swamp Well-Known Member

Selling to a store will severely lower what you get. They are only a good option if you need money fast and want to sell a collection without going through it and individually selling items yourself. If you have some free time, you can try making a list of records you want to get rid of and post them here. You should be able to get 70% or more of market value here and, if they are in demand titles, you should have no prob selling them.

4. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Or, if you don't want to deal with online selling, which was what I interpreted your first post to mean, I live in Houston and would be interested in buying your copy of Fiona from you next time you're in town! I had a couple of friends who wanted to sign up for VMP when it was announced, and then they gave up when the site wasn't working initially, so I can definitely find a good home for it.

5. 1963Christopher

1963Christopher New Member

Vinal Edge in the Heights, Heights Vinyl in their new locale, DeepEnd over by UH...

6. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

I still haven't been to the new Heights Vinyl location, how is it?

7. taylorgc1992

taylorgc1992 Well-Known Member

Not great.

8. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Aww that's sad. I saw they were having a lot of transition issues (like facebook posts about how they didn't have phones for a while?!) so maybe it'll get better once everything settles a little more. What didn't you like about it?

taylorgc1992 likes this.
  9. Siglet

Siglet Well-Known Member

I’ve been meaning to check out DeepEnd. Have you been?

10. 1963Christopher

1963Christopher New Member

Heights Vinyl... was in there a couple times when they were on white oak... always seems cramped and in semi disarray and the staff not all that helpful Haven’t been to the new location, but being a Heights resident, seems the move was probably based on rent and competition from Vinal Edge, which I prefer.

Am going to DeepEnd this weekend at some point, assuming Invest 95L doesn’t ‘gift’ us...

taylorgc1992 and Siglet like this.
  11. taylorgc1992

Everything. The set up was awful. No organization. Terrible selection and the stuff they did have was overpriced. Also, it is in a really bad location.

TBH, I wasn't a huge fan of them even when they were over on White Oak.

12. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

to be fair that was a hallmark feature of their last location too haha. I did get a rare Janelle Monae pressing there that I had been looking for for a while, so I'll give them brownie points for that

Siglet and taylorgc1992 like this.
  13. taylorgc1992

Also, I am colorblind (literally can't tell the difference between blue/purple or red/pink, etc...) so their whole color-coded pricing system annoyed the crap out of me.

Heath and Siglet like this.