How to keep needle from skipping in an upstairs apartment.?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stormhammer, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

I recently got an entire new setup and have been loving every minute of getting to listen to my collection but am having one issue: I live in an upstairs apartment and even being very careful, the vibrations from walking around sometimes cause the needle to skip while playing a record.

I have the turntable set up on a sturdy wooden stand but I was wondering if there is anything I can put underneath it that would maybe absorb some of the vibrations? I'm afraid of the needle or my records being damaged if this happens too often.

Satchmo2go, Nathaniel D. and JoeMac7 like this.
  2. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

You could build an isolation platform to put it on. You could either go to a kitchen merchant/stone mason and see if you could get an off-cut from a work surface cut to size or there is someone on here uses one of the thicker wooden Ikea cutting boards. You then fit it with some anti vibration feet for a washing machine (can get easy & cheap on eBay) and put the tt on top.

You can also pre buy ones made by tt companies, I know pro-ject make a few, but they are pricey.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  3. Mr Moore

Mr Moore Well-Known Member

4. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

It would be nice but with my current place I don't have any wall room for it. I have been looking around and have seen a few things I want to look at, mainly the stone if I can find something affordable. It's jut really bad right now...I can barely move around without it skipping

Nathaniel D. and Mr Moore like this.
  5. JoeMac7

Stone would work well to a point in terms of its sheer mass and it looks good but it does have a natural resonance. If it was me I’d get some form of wooden butchers block and put some absorption feet underneath it. Still looks good and wood should perform better.

displayname likes this.
  6. JoeMac7

7. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

Couple things: 1) what kind of tt are we talking about?
    2) what’s the table the thing is setting on? End table or shelving unit or what?
    3) what’s the surface under the table - carpet, wood, linoleum?

I’d be looking to stabilize the platform the thing is sitting on first then isolate/stabilize the tt itself.

lee newman and displayname like this.
  8. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

Nathaniel D. likes this.
  9. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

Ok, couple things:

That’s a tall and skinny shelf, so it’s going to transmit and amplify wobbles up. Weight is going to be your friend - low. Load up the lower shelves with really heavy stuff and keep weight on the upper shelves to a minimum.

So a slab up top is going to backfire horribly if you don’t have that weight at the bottom. I’d probably skip it altogether - that’s really meant to dampen audible sonic vibration, not stuff that’s causing skips. Maybe a light platform if you’re not comfortable putting vibrapods/vibration reducing feet directly on your TT.

If you’ve got really cheap floors (as apartments tend to) that really flex you could use L-brackets screwed into the wall studs and discreetly attached to the shelf. Little holes like that are easy to patch when you move and most landlords are cool with it. Between that and stabilizing weight, I feel like you’ll be most of the way home.

10. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

Okay. Do you think I could benefit from putting a slab of something underneath the shelf itself? The lowest shelf is full of records and the one right above it has my receiver on there. If I get something and set the entire shelf unit itself on top of that instead of on the floor, would that possibly get rid of the skips from walking around on the apartment floor?

lee newman likes this.
  11. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

I don't think it would hurt if you could get a stone slab that the whole shelf sits on. If you have any space behind the records to slide in some more weight that's another opportunity to add some weight the bottom shelf. Based on the dimensions I'd think you might be able to get some dumbbells, bricks, etc back there. If you can get a stone slab beneath and some 20-30 lbs of weights behind the records that should add probably 40 - 80 lbs to the base weight. That should make a noticeable difference.

lee newman and Nathaniel D. like this.
  12. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

If it was heavy enough, maybe, but you’d still be fighting the flex because you’d have the carpet + pad between them. I’d also look at the placement of the shelf. If you’re bouncing that much you might benefit from moving it left or right along the wall to try and get more square with the floor joists. I think L-brackets and hard feet/carpet spikes would be the best shot, but if your floors are that soft even those fixes seem iffy.

Cheap floors are a nightmare - my old apartment years ago had them and I felt like I was always fighting them.

displayname likes this.
  13. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

Yeah I think I may try to do a DIY sand box or concrete slabs or something. The way the rest of my living room is set up, it would be really odd to rotate the stand the TT is on for brackets because it would be facing a 90 degree angle to the stand with my TV on it. Unfortunately my apartment is old (built in '83) and small and as such has a lot of design choices that don't benefit modern technology (still have a fireplace that has been bricked off and is unusable, but takes up a ton of space with the mantle).

14. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

A couple concrete landscaping pavers under it is probably a good start.

topofthedial and Stormhammer like this.
  15. espendo

espendo Well-Known Member

I use Sorbothane feet to isolate the TT. It's on a stereo bench with the amp, speakers and a tv. Wooden floors. After I put the TT on the Sorbothane problems with vibrations, skipping and acoustic feedback are over and gone with.

Stormhammer likes this.
  16. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

Okay, I'll have to look into those. I may try something like that in addition to something underneath the base of the unit my stuff is on as well.

17. panino

panino Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert at all, so I apologise in advance for a comment that might make no sense.
    everybody here assumed that the floor vibrations cased the skips, which makes sense.
    but why has nobody thought about the TT arm.... maybe it's not calibrated correctly (too light) therefore it jumps at every minimal vibration.

it just seems strange that a apartment floor vibrates so much, to cause continuous skipping

18. Gatorjim

Gatorjim Well-Known Member

1. Check the tonearm balance
    2. Put 2 quarters on the headshell.......don't do this.
    3. Suspend the turntable from the ceiling with bungie cords.
    4. Move
    5. Take psychedelics and enjoy the show
    6. Pay for @HiFi Guy to fly up there and fix it

displayname likes this.
  19. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

Cheap substrate isn’t uncommon. Plus the OP specifically mentioned when walking around. I’d expect if you wanted to confirm it wasn’t the setup, you could put the unit in a corner and see what happens.

displayname likes this.
  20. Slimwhit

Slimwhit Well-Known Member