Jazz Thread

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by De La Tribe, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Selaws

Selaws Well-Known Member

They are great, the liner notes for each song are fantastic as well. I actually went for the exact same set as you (as the Japan Part 1 was sold out). I may have to hunt it down having listened to the others!

2. Mike H

Mike H Well-Known Member

I somehow only recently discovered them! It sucks that the older volumes are crazy expensive on discogs for the most part. Excited to take a listen to them today and read those liner notes.

3. Mr Moore

Mr Moore Well-Known Member

@mingerton posted this in the deals thread. It’s a belter of an album.

4. wallystripes

wallystripes Well-Known Member

I trust your opinion and taste. Tell me why I should press "confirm order" now, even when I've already blown my vinyl budget for the next 3 months.

5. Mr Moore

Really well established artist from the Chicago scene, not a great deal of her stuff available on vinyl. Superb album fusing modern contemporary jazz with world music influences and you aren't likely to see it again at this price! Take a listen though, well worth your time if not your money.

Zakattak, lee newman, pijo and 3 others like this.
  6. McGlam

McGlam Well-Known Member

I'm super excited to see The Comet is Coming tonight. Surprised to see that the show isn't sold out and only 14 people are confirmed to be attending on the Facebook page. Kamaal Williams sold out two nights at the same venue well in advance recently.

7. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

It would be sold out if it was "Sons of Kemet's leader Shabaka Huchings with his other band The Comet is Coming in concert tonight" instead of "The Comet is Coming in concert tonight". :) Can't wait to see them next month!

wooha, alspriet, Zakattak and 6 others like this.
  8. AndyT

AndyT Active Member

I bet they sound amazing live. I just ordered the Death to the Planet repress

9. McGlam

McGlam Well-Known Member

I don't know why they didn't do that!! I'm very excited to see them tonight!

Darin Star Boogie and lee newman like this.
  10. pijo

pijo Well-Known Member

I've been at WOMADelaide festival for four days and have emerged, as ever, with a few new (to me) finds. I came late to the first performance of this quartet but instantly recognised Journey in Satchidananda, the original of which I've been playing a lot since getting my VMP copy. Fortunately they were playing a second set and it was a beautiful, super-tight performance. Very cool to see the harp front and centre in such a dynamic way. She's obviously an Alice Coltrane devotee but a composer of note too.

Alina Bzhezhinska quartet - Inspiration

11. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

Not exactly jazz but I don't know where to share this. I received an email this morning about a Greek reissue label called Teranga Beat. Adamantios, the owner, is more into African music but he recently released a Greek jazz fusion record Kyriakos Sfetsas and his Greek Fusion Orchestra @Poly-Rythmo you might be interested in this if you don't already now.

https://terangabeat.bandcamp.com/

Over recent years Adamantios Kafetzis has become an avid collector of African music, a passion which has ultimately led him to visit Senegal many times in the last 10 years, obsessively investigating the sound, searching out and collecting vinyl, and on the whole, educating himself in Senegalese/African music, both past and present.

Currently Adamantios runs Teranga Beat, an Athens based music event offering elements of African culture such as food, dance and music to his audience. Teranga Beat is presently set to take a new turn. After his many years of research, Adamantios has happened upon a wealth of un-edited reel tapes containing material from the 60’s up until the mid 80’s, a find that has prompted him to create a record label…

Great care is being taken to preserve the original quality of the recordings in order to maintain the live feel of the original source which was recorded live through 2 or 4 microphones directly to reel to reel. Using his perspective as a (visual) artist Adamantios endeavors to provide high quality packaging alongside informative liner notes. From creating attractively constructed L.P and C.D housing to information on artists including histories, photographs and interview material.

Intending on working closely with the people involved in the music’s creation the label has been set up in, and shall be run from Senegal, a move that will not only allow Adamantios the ability to communicate face to face with artists/producers, but also permit him to continue the search for new musicians and new music.

Adamantios has keen interest in re-forming some of the groups that made music he has come across for live performance and recording. Although he is not only interested in music from the past but equally interested in presenting the Senegalese/African music of today… aiming to combine elements of the past with the present.

12. Poly-Rythmo

Poly-Rythmo Well-Known Member

Thanks @Skalap - I know Teranga quite well. They put out a lot of unreleased African stuff - I just bought their Mar Seck compilation to go with Ostinato's Star Band one. The quality is a little variable and they usually go for live/unreleased stuff rather than the artist's best work. I'll check this out though.

13. captainfog

captainfog A Prince Among Men And Moderators

aye, was one of my favourite albums released that year. It's amazing.

14. Selaws

Selaws Well-Known Member

Bit of an update on the Abdullah Sami reissue. Spiritmuse has updated their bandcamp with info and their facebook page says they will add the vinyl pre-order to it soon.

Its a super rare private press spiritual jazz album, theres so many fantastic small/private press jazz albums out there yet to be properly discovered, so hopefully these guys will look into more.

https://abdullahmsami.bandcamp.com/album/peace-of-time

15. Mr Moore

Cheers, bud. Wallet on standby!

Zakattak, lee newman, Selaws and 2 others like this.
  16. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

Belgian Jazz? New SdBan Ultra release Black Flower - Future Flora out on April 12th :

With a hybrid jazz based on African grooves, Ethio-oriental melodies and psychedelic dub this Belgian five-piece creates an atmosphere where ancient and modern sounds fuse into a powerful, hypnotic and groovy sensation.
    Receiving critical acclaim for their second album ‘Artifacts’ (2017), the Belgian quintet are pleased to announce the release of their much-anticipated third album entitled ‘Future Flora’, released 12th April via Sdban Ultra.
    Piloted by saxophonist/flutist/composer Nathan Daems (Ragini Trio, Dijf Sanders, Echoes of Zoo), the input of notorious musicians, drummer Simon Segers (MDC III, De Beren Gieren, Stadt), cornet player Jon Birdsong (dEUS, Beck, Calexico), keyboardist Wouter Haest (Voodoo Boogie) and bassist Filip Vandebril (Lady Linn, The Valerie Solanas) leads to the specific universe that only Black Flower is able to create.
    Where debut album ‘Abyssinia Afterlife’ (2014) and ‘Artifacts’ (2017) bathed in an atmosphere of psychedelics, mythical figures, ancient sounds and modern cultures, new album 'Future Flora' refers to the power of plants and their importance for the future.
    Black Flower’s musical cross-pollination of sounds and rhythms remain on ‘Future Flora’, but there is still room for a more Western touch with Romanian and Maloya (Réunion) influences. Daems developed his own arrangements where Western, Oriental and Ethiopian scales and chords are fused together to create a real mix of traditional instrumentation and modern electrical vibrations.
    The strong underlying groove is omnipresent, but the room for psychedelics, folklore and experimentation grows. Songs like new single ‘Hora de Aksum’ combine modern western rhythms with doses of Balkan eccentricities while ‘Future Flora’ takes you on a psyche-delicious 21th century Ethio-dub-jazz trip with echoes of Mulatu Astatke and Fela Kuti.

17. surrealmadrid75

surrealmadrid75 Well-Known Member

this is really good

Darin Star Boogie likes this.
  18. phramenma

phramenma Well-Known Member

Why oh why oh why...

https://store.bluenote.com/collections/new-releases

10th May – Blue Note Debuts, Part 1

Dexter Gordon – Doin’ Allright (1961)
    Herbie Hancock – Takin’ Off (1962)
    Robert Glasper – Canvas (2005)

14th June – Blue Note Debuts, Part 2

Johnny Griffin – Introducing Johnny Griffin(1956)
    Freddie Hubbard – Open Sesame (1960)
    Grant Green – Grant’s First Stand (1961)

12th July – Blue Grooves, Part 1

Lonnie Smith – Think! (1968)
    Reuben Wilson – Blue Mode (1969)
    Bobbi Humphrey – Blacks And Blues (1973)

9th August – Blue Grooves, Part 2

Lou Donaldson – Alligator Boogaloo (1967)
    Donald Byrd – Ethiopian Knights (1971)
    John Scofield – Hand Jive (1993)

13th September – Great Reid Miles Covers, Part 1

Freddie Hubbard – Hub-Tones (1962)
    Kenny Dorham – Una Mas (1963)
    Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Indestructible (1964)

11th October – Great Reid Miles Covers, Part 2

Jutta Hipp – Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims (1956)
    Herbie Hancock – Inventions & Dimensions (1963)
    Joe Henderson – In ‘n Out (1964)

8th November – Blue Note Live, Part 1

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World (1960)
    Horace Silver – Doin’ The Thing (1961)
    Grant Green – Alive! (1970)

13th December – Blue Note Live, Part 2

Jimmy Smith – Groovin’ At Smalls’ Paradise(1957)
    Lonnie Smith – Live at Club Mozambique(1970)
    Lee Konitz – Alone Together (1996)

10th January 2020 – Drummer Leaders, Part 1

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Buhaina’s Delight (1961)
    Pete La Roca – Basra (1965)
    Tony Williams – Foreign Intrigue (1985)

14th February 2020 – Drummer Leaders, Part 2

Art Taylor – A.T.’s Delight (1960)
    Elvin Jones – Mr. Jones (1972)
    Brian Blade – Brian Blade Fellowship (1997)

13th March 2020 – Great Reid Miles Covers, Part 3

Jackie McLean – A Fickle Sonance (1961)
    Dexter Gordon – A Swingin’ Affair (1962)
    Lee Morgan – The Rumproller (1965)

10th April 2020 – Great Reid Miles Covers, Part 4

Andrew Hill – Smokestack (1963)
    Kenny Dorham – Trompeta Toccata (1964)
    Larry Young – Into Somethin’ (1964)

19. StPaulBrowns

StPaulBrowns Well-Known Member

Yeah, if the quality is somewhere between 75th Ann and MM/TP - hopefully, closer to latter - I am in BIG trouble. A lot of stuff on this list I have been putting off purchasing. But now... :whistle:

20. fritzg

fritzg Well-Known Member

Gotta recommend a Newvelle Records subscription again. Just got the first one for this year. It's great. Each lp comes with commissioned artwork on the cover and gatefold as well a chapter of a written work of fiction that will come with each release throughout the year, six chapters in all.

Hear are the liner notes for the first lp of this year, season four.

https://www.newvelle-records.com/pages/noah-preminger-preminger-plays-preminger