Klipsch Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Slimwhit, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Slimwhit

Slimwhit Well-Known Member

49F00845-16A8-4DFA-8F80-BA1F2013C303.jpeg Wasn’t one of these out there yet either.

So here’s a place for Klipsch owners to talk about their speakers, show off some pics, talk about tips and tricks, etc.

I’m about 8 hours into my first ever Klipsch speakers, a new set of Walnut Heresy III’s.

Running them in before the arrival of the PrimaLuna. Messing around a bit with placement and toe in. Been a fun rainy Saturday!

Share your setups too!

2. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

If you are going Klipsch, Heritage series is how to do it- with tubes. Well done, sir.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  3. kvetcha

kvetcha Well-Known Member

...I’ll need to tidy up before I take a photo.

4. Slimwhit

81516372-3DFF-4FF0-B472-B18A81679A93.jpeg Been playing with toe in and positioning all day. I’ve read a lot of advice about toeing these in so they cross about a foot in front of me. That did not work in my space. The soundstage was tiny and the bass too rolled off.

Pointing them directly at me was better for the soundstage, but little bright. (Incidentally, I don’t think this is strictly a Klipsch thing, my SVS Ultras were similar).

For my space (again 10x10x9) I have them slightly toed in, but still outside my ears. Huge soundstage, nice tight bass.

Probably have about 20 hrs on them, ran them all night last night. I’m pretty impressed. Installed 4 additional 2’x2’x1” absorbers, two seen above and two behind me. Also installed two 2’x2’x3” bass traps, in addition to the two 2’x4’x2” on first reflection points. Room is still not perfect, but the treatments have really helped the sound in here.

Not sure if this toe in will stick once the tubes arrive, but I enjoyed my day tinkering and listening!!

5. LeeVing

LeeVing Well-Known Member

Have you tried to get them up of the floor to listening height?

When I put mine up on TV trays that are just over 2 feet, it made a huge difference to my ears.

Mine are H-700's (Heresy 1's) from 1979 - evidently a special order variant. ASL D/S

from https://community.klipsch.com/

I upgraded to Crites crossovers soon after I got them.

6. Slimwhit

I haven’t tried yet. I’m going without a sub, and will give them some time on the floor after I get the tubes this week. I’ll experiment with raising them at some point I’m sure.

A rare first variant, very cool! Are they still in that same stain? Would love to see a pic!

7. LeeVing

I'll try to get a pic of them. Need to clean up and do some cable management with the network switch that is on top of one of them.

Slimwhit, HiFi Guy and kvetcha like this.
  8. Slimwhit

A match made in heaven. I’m satisfied.

I am 100% a Klipsch Heritage fanboy going forward.

243F61C4-1EB0-42ED-A6AF-48DFFC857731.jpeg

9. Slimwhit

Surprising to no-one, @HiFi Guy was dead on when he told me that tubes were the only way to go with the Heresy III's. They were pretty good with my Yamaha. They are otherworldly with the PrimaLuna.

In my small space, the bass slams.. not muddy, not fuzzy (which got worse and worse the louder the Yamaha went).. just tight, perfect, bass with that signature Klipsch "front row" sound.

Mind blown.

HiFi Guy, kvetcha, SnowmaNick and 5 others like this.
  10. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Well-Known Member

Horns are usually always a good match with Tube Amps...........to a point where its almost a "Rule of Thumb"..........however there are a few SS amps that can work with horn drivers as well.......but usually Tubes win out for the most part....IMHO (y).................................YMMV:cool:

11. kvetcha

I am very happy to have someone else here on board the Heritage train, and I'm even happier that they are everything you hoped for!

12. Slimwhit

Which of the Heritage do you have?

HiFi Guy and JoeMac7 like this.
  13. kvetcha

Forte IIs! They're only retroactively considered Heritage since they were not directly designed by PWK, but they nevertheless had his input and his blessing. iirc, the Fortes were the only speakers in his home that he did not design.

That said, my grandfather is the original owner of a pair of vintage La Scalas and my dad has both Forte IIs and vintage K-Horns, so I do have quite a bit of ear time with the classics.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  14. Bad Andy

Bad Andy Well-Known Member

My next upgrade will be to a heritage series of speakers. Currently just running the Klipsch RB 61ii’s but am happy with them running through my little budget tube cube 7 amp.

lee newman, HiFi Guy, JoeMac7 and 2 others like this.
  15. Slimwhit

So it’s in your DNA! Love it!

16. Slimwhit

I can’t recommend them enough. Enjoy the ride!

HiFi Guy, JoeMac7 and kvetcha like this.
  17. kvetcha

Basically. My dad bought his Forte IIs when I was five or six, so I always loved them. I spent almost my entire youth blasting music on them. Fond memories of throwing on early Mannheim Steamroller albums and watching the passive radiator pop out during bass drum hits.

When I got the opportunity to pick up a pair of my own, I didn't give it a second thought.

18. LeeVing

Here's a pic of one of them...and then back of the other.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lee newman, mcherry, kvetcha and 2 others like this.
  19. Slimwhit

Love them. So you’ve got them pretty high off the floor, do you run them with a sub?

What kind of difference did the Crites upgrades make for you?

20. kvetcha

I did crossovers and diaphragms, but neither really seems necessary for a brand-new Heritage speaker. They've already got titanium diaphragms rather than phenolic, and the crossovers aren't old enough to benefit from a rebuild.

lee newman, HiFi Guy and Slimwhit like this.