L.A. Trip

Discussion in 'Los Angeles, CA' started by taylorgc1992, May 19, 2018.

1. hydraxazine

hydraxazine Well-Known Member

Gonna have to disagree with you on this (respectfully, of course).

The Museum of Death is pretty small but it has some pretty cool artifacts from various famous murders/suicides. Been awhile since I've been there. It's all very sensationalized but definitely worth a visit.

I think there's been a few lowrider exhibits? I haven't had a chance to see any of them. This video is from the current one. I want that black and white one at 3:23. Not sure what the sticky pudding is going on with that piñata one, though.

6od likes this.
  2. 6od

6od Well-Known Member

yeah that one you mentioned i’m not sure i’ve seen before. i’m definitely familiar with this one though F82FA5B7-839F-4A28-AC86-92B4DAF32CB0.png and it’s truly something to see in person. on some hardrive i have like, 50+ pictures of it and a bunch of other cars. i loooove the petersen. i think i need to make another trip soon. thanks for reminding me!!

oh also! CALIFORNIA DONUTS! 24/7 on 3rd street cross new hampshire. it’s my second donut home (my first is daily donuts on franklin and hillhurst but that’s cause i’d walk there as a kid so, default home - and the BEST holes).

oh and uh, in n out forever. perfect post beach meal.
    (#1 2x4, with a diet coke)

A15558E4-A81E-4D53-8C35-4E5B675E0D65.jpeg

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  3. DTKnuckles

DTKnuckles Well-Known Member

I’ve lived with in walking distance of two. They aren’t amazing, but when you don’t feel like cooking and don’t want something overly processed (like McDonalds) they are fine. Those fries though, fresh potatoes, best in fast food.

6od likes this.
  4. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

In-N-Out forever!

hydraxazine and 6od like this.
  5. taylorgc1992

taylorgc1992 Well-Known Member

Whataburger for life.

Chucktshoes likes this.
  6. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Well-Known Member

I view In-N-Out in the same way I view lutefisk. It’s a regional delicacy that is in all reality pretty damn gross.

7. 6od

6od Well-Known Member

7F2D96F5-EAD3-4B11-87E9-41C7E49D0E5A.jpeg 691DEC5F-726C-44D2-BC11-06900A4C55AE.jpeg B1FF6938-C0B3-4F42-832E-562E02F5A8A0.jpeg 47788311-EC67-47C1-9449-D16A6A8E527F.jpeg
    just conveniently found these in my instagram... nbd.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  8. bohnjaggs

bohnjaggs Well-Known Member

I'll admit that even though I am born and raised in California, I'm not really an In N Out fan and don't really get the hype. We still go every once in awhile but I'd much rather have Habit Burger or Shake Shack these days ...

Chucktshoes likes this.
  9. Melt Face Molly Drop

Melt Face Molly Drop Well-Known Member

Not getting much detail in this post. Why were you crushed? Why was it bad (to you)? Why do you think it went to hell? Why do you think their burgers taste bad?

10. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Well-Known Member

I was crushed because I remember them being this amazingly great burger, and I had talked them up as such, and then they weren’t. Taste wise, it was just a mediocre fast food burger on the dry side. Not a whole lot of taste, just a small, over cooked beef patty. Also, whatever sauce they put on the damn thing was gross. I had to go back up and get one without it.

As far as the going to hell comment, what I meant by that is that I don’t know if the quality declined or maybe I just remembered them being much better than they actually were. My memories from 10 years earlier and the burger that I held in my hand did not come close to matching.

Melt Face Molly Drop likes this.
  11. 6od

6od Well-Known Member

40B1F2B2-6507-4FD8-9272-EA4D01FE0E28.jpeg 70369CD2-3AD6-4D15-806B-FC60DE6D5E05.jpeg

here are some highly stylized photos i took 10 years ago of the hot wheels gto at the petersen museum.

Attached Files:

hydraxazine likes this.
  12. SKOT_FREE

SKOT_FREE Well-Known Member

I lived in L.A. for about 41 years(I’ll be 44 this year) i moves to ATL 3 1/2 years ago and if you need some suggestions here ya go:

Amoeba records: Of course the main spot to hit up in Hollywood. Lots of selection but ok prices.

Soundsations records: located near LAX is my favorite spot and one I’ve hit up since high school. Great prices on Vinyl, fair trade in on CD’s and if they don’t have it, they can find it.

Record Jungle: never been there but from what I see on their Instagram they have some nice stuff. When I go back to L.A. to visit family i’m Going to try and get there.

Turntable Lab: located in the fairfax district off melrose. They have records, equipment and supplies. Great all in one spot!

Fat Beats: I didn’t know they reopened in L.A. but it seems they have a new spot and I love fat beats!

taylorgc1992, 6od and bohnjaggs like this.
  13. bohnjaggs

bohnjaggs Well-Known Member

I didn't even know that Turntable Lab or Fat Beats had physical store locations

6od likes this.
  14. 6od

6od Well-Known Member

yeah i remember turntable lab. but for some reason i thought they closed?

bohnjaggs likes this.
  15. DTKnuckles

Yea they did, bought my first turntable there in record store day 6 years back or so.

6od and bohnjaggs like this.
  16. 6od

6od Well-Known Member

UGH okay I wanted to leave this as a comment in my profile in response to @hydraxazine but no matter what it was too long and i do not have patience so here it is:

i have no idea i'd never heard of that place (the lamajune factory). sasoun bakery has some good lamajeune though. i appreciate that the factory place spells lamajeune that way as it's also not the way it's spelled on wikipedia (which is lahmajoun).
    i'd trust the armenian yelp reviewers and they seem to like it. i oughta check it out. i gotta ask my mom where she gets it from usually.
    it's great with cold lebne in it. sounds weird but SO GOOD. or just with some melted cheese. fuckin' love lamajeune.

i'm probably spelling lebne wrong, too. it's strained yogurt. the good brand is the one with navy blue mountains all around the container.

OH. also - monte. if you can find it handmade it's the best. sometimes it looks like big wontons that are fully closed and that's not legit monte. it should look like...
    http://www.tasteofbeirut.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/line-them-dup.jpg

apparently - it's spelled manti (pronounced mon-teh) best with a bit of broth (not a soup amount, but like, a kiddie pool for the monte) and lebne with an abundance of fresh pressed garlic mixed in the lebne, like enough so that you can't get close to people for a few days.

hydraxazine and taylorgc1992 like this.
  17. taylorgc1992

I never knew what it was called "lahmajoun/lamajeune" but it is amazing. There is a place here in Houston called Phoenicia and it is a mediterranean/middle-eastern bakery/restaurant/grocery store. It is really awesome and they sell that stuff. So good. I don't think you can possibly get more multi-cultural than Houston or L.A. though. Also, lebne is really good on lots of stuff.

On a side-note, I am leaving for L.A. in like a week so any last minute suggestions are much appreciated. We are staying in the Malibu area, doing the Air bnb thing so anything in that vicinity would be cool as well.

6od likes this.
  18. 6od

6od Well-Known Member

the only things i know that are good in malibu is:

1. reel fish inn (for food - don't dress up for this as most patrons are in whatever it is they wore in the ocean - but they got some good fish and i don't even really like cooked fish)
    2. malibu seafood (see above)
    3. the beach
    that's all that i know of in malibu. i know there's other stuff, but too rich for my blood.

lemme know if you travel east of the 405. and then also maybe east of the 101/western ave

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    mcherry likes this.
  19. taylorgc1992

405? 101? These things don't compute with me. I know we are going to spend at least one whole day in the actual city of Los Angeles. Yeah, we are only staying in Malibu because we wanted to be close to the beach and have a relaxed environment. Shockingly, the Malibu air bnb we found is really nice and not very expensive considering the two branches of my family that are going on the trip are splitting the cost. They aren't making me pay for anything which is cool, I guess they have pity on me for enduring the Bar exam.

6od likes this.
  20. DTKnuckles

I second both of those seafood places.

I don’t know if the Santa Monica Pier concerts are still running, but they have some decent free shows.

Wait what’s that place in Venice that has some decent jazz shows? Some “speakeasy” or something. A lot of the guys who were involved in kendrick’s Tpab play there.

6od likes this.