La Record Stores

Discussion in 'Los Angeles, CA' started by swamp, Aug 10, 2016.

1. swamp

swamp Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    NoiseAndxx likes this.
  2. 6od

6od Well-Known Member

HOLY CRAP THERE'RE POSTS ABOUT LOS ANGELES????

FREAK BEAT IS AWESOME I've gotten a lot of great albums there. It's kind of a drive for me but my dentist/some of my cousins are out that way so I go when I can but not often enough.

I like Gimme Gimme Records in Highland Park a lot. Atomic in Burbank is great, they're actually where I got my turntable from, and the owners are awesome. I also like the Record Parlour in Hollywood, despite it's location, I like a lot of what they do over there, I just wish they weren't over there so much. A lot of other stores are great, too, but you'll always find some things that are priced in a way where they just assumed the record inside was VG+ because the sleeve looks that way, but often times it's not. Basically like you described. I do a lot of crate digging though. Especially at Amoeba (under the displays, in the middleish section), and Atomic and occasionally Gimme Gimme. Record Surplus on the westside is okay, too. There are more places I gotta check out. But I still haven't finished cleaning and cataloguing and at the rate I seem to buy new albums online, I don't need to quite yet.

henryy, NoiseAndxx and swamp like this.
  3. NoiseAndxx

NoiseAndxx New Member

Has anyone been to Stax of Wax in Malibu? How does it compare to, say, Freakbeat?

4. DTKnuckles

DTKnuckles Well-Known Member

You guys should check out Record Jungle in Montebello. Its far from the beaten path, but the owner, Andy, keeps the place stocked with tons of titles he finds from old collections. No new releases, but the prices are amazing. I've seen a VMP copy of Super Ape there.

SKOT_FREE and 6od like this.
  5. DTKnuckles

I didn't see anything about the vandalism, but i did see him picking up a big collection in a U-haul recently.

Yea you gotta set aside some time. It's not a pop in and out type of place. I usually go through the new arrival bins at the back at the very least.

6od likes this.
  6. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Does anyone have recommends for good stores downtown? Specifically around the Ace Hotel? I'll be there for a few days for work next week and want to buy records!

7. swamp

swamp Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I can't think of anything great near there. There is a newer shop/art gallery called Pop Obscure, which I haven't been to yet, and the Last Book Store has a nice sized wing with used records. The latter is worth a trip just to walk around upstairs in their book maze of sorts. There may be a place called Caveman Vintage that has records but I didn't like their old location- mostly vintage instruments and overpriced used vinyl. Could be cool if you're also into vintage guitars and instruments though.

The best shops are closer to Echo Park and other areas surrounding LA but not in downtown proper. One of many drawbacks of LA is everything so so frigging spread out. You'd need to drive around a bit to hit up the good spots. Enjoy your trip though! Parts of downtown are pretty hip now!

andyf likes this.
  8. DTKnuckles

You could take an uber up Figueroa and go check out Gimmie Records of The Marc Maron show. Not the same location as in the show, but still the same owner. They have a pretty good selection, Typical prices, and heavy on the pop/rock/punk/alternative.

Also on fig is the Artform Studio. Strong for Jazz, Hip Hop, and Soul. It's owned by Adrian Younge. Good selection, but pricey.

andyf likes this.
  9. McGlam

McGlam Well-Known Member

Two new record stores in my general vicinity! Pop Obscure moved from downtown to a few blocks away from me. I went to go check it out yesterday and they are closed on Mondays. I did I quick google search and saw another new store- Going Underground- that I hadn't checked out yet.

I drove over there-- really surprised by the selection and prices. Lots of great stuff, cheaper than most spots around town and really friendly staff.

10. Bad Andy

Bad Andy Well-Known Member

If anyone ever makes it to Orange County, Fullerton has quite the record stores.

Burger records is more main stream stuff. You will find a little bit of everything there.

Programmed Skate and Sound is a very cool shop. Limited used stuff, but you can find some things. Generally great for punk/hardcore stuff. Very nice people. They also host many bands that play in this tiny shop, so check their calendar and try to see a show.

My favorite place though is Radiation records. Mostly punk, metal, oi, etc. but tons and tons of stuff. Rare old records in really good shape. Everything priced very fairly. Also big T-shirt and pins/stickers selection. Not the friendliest place, but great to dig, dig, dig. A must go to shop for any punk or metal fan. Just off the 91 fwy and Raymond.

11. dirty hands

dirty hands Well-Known Member

I haven't been to Going Underground's new LA spot, but if it's anything like their Bakersfield spot they should have a decent selection. I used to live in Bakersfield and Going Underground was the only place to get good records. I was going through their hip hop selection when I was home for Christmas and they had some great stuff. I knew the owner so I might be a little biased..

McGlam likes this.