Massdrop

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tdawe, Apr 3, 2018.

1. tdawe

tdawe Well-Known Member

Hey all - I just bought into the Massdrop for the Sennheiser 6XX headphones that seem to be popular around here. After buying I noticed that the target ship date is August 30 - does anyone have an idea if it’s really going to take that long?

2. kvetcha

kvetcha Well-Known Member

I think they do a production run based on the MassDrop result, so...yep.

3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

I've seen reports of people receiving shipments early. Plan on a long wait and if you get them early, it's a bonus. Those are one of the best values in headphones going. You did well. Congrats!

Chucktshoes likes this.
  4. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

In the mean time, you might hunt around for a headphone amp if you don't have one. Senns get kinda thirsty, but they pay off if you give them the juice.

wgb113, lee newman and HiFi Guy like this.
  5. wgb113

wgb113 Well-Known Member

They really came alive with a balanced cable and partnered with my Schiit Jotunheim. As @HiFi Guy menitoned, one of the best values in headphones.

Slimwhit and HiFi Guy like this.
  6. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

Just starting up a discussion here as something to maybe consider...

Basically all the Massdrop big name headphones get really great reviews, because they are obviously all a great bang for the buck. I'm thinking this might be the way to go if/when I'm going to pull the trigger on some cans. I'm willing to be patient, so let's do some hypothetical situations.

Pretend all of the following headphones have active drops at the same time, and they are all the same price. We'll just assume $200. Also assume you have adequate amplification for any of these.

My question is which are you pulling the trigger on and why?
    AKG K7XX
    Sennheiser HD 6XX
    HIFIMAN HE4XX

7. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Well-Known Member

See if you can double your budget and get a pair of the Senneheiser HD700s. Barring that, the HD6XX/HD650 would be the way I would go. I was going for the 6XX/650 before I was told by my buddy that the 700 is worth more than twice the price. That said, the 6XX is still a highly regarded headphone and hasn’t been changed in 15 years. How many other electronic devices remain strong and popular sellers after 15 years?

—-Here’s and article that breaks down a more technical review of the 6XX/650. https://www.theverge.com/2016/11/8/13561356/sennheiser-hd-6xx-headphones-best-price-massdrop

ThePakoBuelna and displayname like this.
  8. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

I'd be all about the Sennheisers, because I like them a lot. At $200, I love them. I do have to say though that the HiFiMan planars could be interesting- like Maggies for my head.

Corycm, displayname and Chucktshoes like this.
  9. trickyseven

trickyseven Well-Known Member

I looked at this article as my first shot at researching open back headphones. https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-open-back-headphones-under-500/

tl:dr HIFIMANs were top, Senns were second for fans of a mellower sound.

In real life, I went with the Senns because I think my music might match better (and that was the only drop going on at the time), but I'm sure the sound isn't that different if you aren't listening to them back to back. I've heard that all are great though, you can't go wrong. I would also think about if you have any desires to upgrade or replace parts yourself. The Senns have a good aftermarket I'm told, but not sure about the others.

displayname likes this.
  10. displayname

Yes, that's the biggest thing to me, it seems like each one has it's own strengths. But if you're really curious about the Maggies for your head, the HiFiMAN version has some reviews saying they actually prefer the build quality of the Massdrop over the originals. And they are only $170. The curiosity to just try planars has me tempted because I figured I could flip them if I hated them. I have actually never seen planars in person, so it's a real consideration.

Edit: JK, the drop JUST closed, like within the past couple hours I think.

11. wgb113

wgb113 Well-Known Member

I’d go AKG K7xx - I prefer the AKG sound over the Sennheiser sound and have never heard HiFiMan cans. FWIW, I own both the K7xx and HD 6xx and like both.

displayname likes this.
  12. displayname

Oh, I'm glad that someone that owns both chimed in, thank you!

So tell me if these assumptions are correct about the two. This is based on a general view point that seems consistent in reviews, but I'd love input from someone other than a formal reviewer.

HD 6xx - more accurate, slightly more narrowed soundstage, slightly less comfortable, slightly heavier
    K7xx - more laid back, less detailed, less bass, bigger soundstage, light and comfortable for the long run, easier to drive

and just for the record
    HE4xx - smaller sound stage than possibly both other options, but still wide, heaviest by far, excellent bass, very accurate, not too bright, easy-ish to drive (compared to 6xx), planar hype

Sound accurate or is some of that off in you experience?

13. wgb113

wgb113 Well-Known Member

Here’s my experience:
    HD 6xx: NOT as accurate, narrower soundstage, slightly MORE comfortable, about the same weight, ability to drive balanced is a plus.
    K7xx: more accurate across the board, bigger soundstage, slightly LESS comfortable.

I lived with AKG’s K812 Pro for over a year and the K7xx is close to 90% of their sound but in a much less comfortable package. They were the most comfortable headphones I ever had. The HD700 from Sennheiser came close but I didn’t care for their sound at all.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    displayname likes this.
  14. displayname

Awesome, thank you for sharing! I'm really glad I asked. Not that I'm buying anything right away, but I have been considering it.

15. wgb113

wgb113 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that sound signature on headphones is super subjective. What I might prefer about the AKGs you might despise.

Chucktshoes and displayname like this.
  16. Epyon415

Epyon415 Well-Known Member

I originally (2011) tried the HD600 and HE-400, which both of the massdrop cans are based off. The Senns were perhaps a bit more accurate than the hifimans, and absolutely comfortable (i left them on, without music for 20mins and didn’t even realize they were on my head, lol) but ultimately i fell for the hifimans because of the musicality of the planar magentics. They just suck me in. I’ve since upgraded, still using planars, but am hoping to add Senns down the road.

For me personally the base just never felt right in the Senns and I’ve found the planars to be better at mids and vocals.

Either option would be good. I’d choose the Senns if long listening sessions and comforting matter, but the Hifimans if you really want to get lost in your music.

lee newman and displayname like this.
  17. BeerCanChicken

BeerCanChicken Well-Known Member

My HD 58X Jubilees shipped today. Huzzah.

trickyseven, 6od and wooha like this.