Muddy Waters - Fathers and Sons (December 2018 Classics RotM)

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by TCell, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Derekjeffery

Derekjeffery Well-Known Member

Noted.

2. Murfocakes

Murfocakes Well-Known Member

And Hard Again. It’s essential.

3. Derekjeffery

Derekjeffery Well-Known Member

I’m a Muddy fan, have been forever. My old man was a Stones guy and that’s what I grew up on. I read an article when I was 14 and Mick said something about idolizing Muddy. I had to find out who this guy was!! Now that my record collection is rounding out I’m able to fill in the gaps, although I’m selective I’ll grab any Muddy album when it makes sense to do so!!!

4. GStephenH

GStephenH Well-Known Member

I played the first disc last night. Side 2 had a bit of noise on it, but I dropped it without cleaning it. I am hoping a good cleaning will cure that. Otherwise, soooooo good.

5. Smansmith

Smansmith Well-Known Member

Only on side 2 of disc 1 now but this sounds pretty damn fine. I always notice the Classics albums feel 'higher quality' overall but just holding the album when putting in on the TT...it felt...I dunno, superior to 90% of any album I have physically held. Thick, sturdy, flat vinyl and the gatefold jacket was the Classics heavy cardboard. Damn, imagine if all albums were up to this level. Anyway, glad I now have this in my collection!

6. Rian

Rian Active Member

I'm getting really concerned about the quality process at VMP. I received the record this morning, and as I took them out to inspect them, I noticed this giant scrape at the top left of side 4: https://files.elezea.com/IMG_8487.jpeg

This is how it came out of the jacket - I didn't play it, and it didn't touch anything as I removed it. I emailed info@ but I wanted to shout into the void here too because this is really upsetting.

7. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

that is the pressing plant's fault, who will have their own QA process - which is GZ, now you can be upset that VMP continues to use GZ instead a better plant like RTI or Pallas

POGunter, NathanRicaud, TCell and 4 others like this.
  8. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

Even RTI and Pallas are gonna have the occasional random damage/error. No plant checks 100% of the records and honestly, that still wouldn’t stop stuff like this - it could have happened at several stops in the process after it came off the plant.

I’m not saying GZ is up to RTI/Pallas standards...

9. GStephenH

Anyone have issues with side 2 of disc 2? Mine sounds horrible.

10. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Yes, there have been several reports of this. Email @info for a new copy.

Darin Star Boogie likes this.
  11. GStephenH

Ugh! I have had to have replacements of a number of albums lately. I feel bad even though it’s not my fault. Lol.

12. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

DON'T YOU FEEL BAD. DON'T YOU EVER FEEL BAD.

13. NathanRicaud

NathanRicaud Well-Known Member

Usually my boxes are all really good but I’ve had a few nasty warps in my last box and I too feel bad for emailing VMP about it...

I know it’s not their fault for the warp or my fault, but I hate asking for a replacement of anything because it’s not something customer service likes to deal with. Even if I buy something in-store, like a Bose Bluetooth Speaker and if after 9 months if it’s playing up, I feel bad for going in and asking a replacement because I know the workers usually hate replacing things (even if it’s under warranty).

But then again, I don’t think about the joy VMP can get from me buying their exclusives! So I shouldn’t feel all that bad in the end haha!

Darin Star Boogie and GStephenH like this.
  14. Rian

Rian Active Member

Same. Thought I was cursed. Glad I'm not the only one...

15. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm Mather. Cursed OG. I've been cursed since the polar icecaps were an icecube, since the T-Rex ruled the earth, since time was but a concept... since last December basically. Once you get used to the inevitable crushing disappointment it's not that bad. Go to the PIF thread, you'll be a hero there, no longer will people gaze on your hideous visage with a mixture of horror and sadness, the PIF thread will welcome you with open arms, and accept you in all your warped and scarred glory. LONG LIF THE PIF.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  16. Melancholy_Melody

Melancholy_Melody Well-Known Member

17. Murfocakes

Murfocakes Well-Known Member

Just 3 sides in to my copy. This is bloody good. Excellent pick. Brilliant cover and the two discs are top rate. Literally the best of both worlds with the studio and live disc. Well done VMP. Classics knocks it out of the park again.

18. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

You pay money to get a record to listen to, not to watch your tonearm ride a rollercoaster ;)

Don’t feel bad about reporting faults ever, you pay for something that isn’t warped so that is what you should get and reporting it gives the company an idea of how big an issue this might be so they can look at improvements to their processes :)

19. NathanRicaud

NathanRicaud Well-Known Member

Yeah, that’s very true with the last sentence! I guess reporting faults can be something a company likes to then they know to improve something, and in return that benefits everyone if they have a less chance next time of receiving a faulty vinyl!

20. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

Well only if they act on it but I know when I used to work in customer facing roles That substantiated complaints (rather than rants lol) were always something I’d feed upwards.