need help getting a preamp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dkkic, Nov 7, 2018.

1. dkkic

dkkic Member

I currently have a Yamaha a-s501 that I am using the preamp out of but I would like to get a separate pre-amp. I have a rega planar 2 with a bias2 cartridge. my speakers are klipsch heresy iii's. I would like to keep it around 500 and would it make a difference in the way my records sound or would it be a waste. I'm trying to get the hum out when I listen at louder levels it is noticible during the quieter moments. thanks to anyone that can help me out.

AnthonyI likes this.
  2. Bad Andy

Bad Andy Well-Known Member

I am sure others will reply here as well. Lots of good options in that price point. Many people will recommend the Vincent Pho-8. I considered it, but ended up going with the Mofi Studio Phono. It has a subsonic filter in it and a mono selector switch. I have been very happy. I came from the built in Pluto amp on my U-Turn, and this was a big jump up in sonic clarity and detail.

Love your speakers. Heritage series from Klipsch are my next upgrade and I am debating between Forte III's and Heresy III's.

AnthonyI and kvetcha like this.
  3. kvetcha

kvetcha Well-Known Member

If you're talking about fuzz, this might come down to your amplifier. The Heresys are so efficient that you need an amp with a very low noise floor to power them quietly. I've run into this with my Forte IIs.

A good phono stage might help, though. In that price range I think the Vincent Pho-8, MobileFidelity Ultraphono, and Lounge Audio MK III are all nice choices. I'm sure @HiFi Guy has other excellent suggestions, too.

AnthonyI likes this.
  4. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Try something for me please. Use your cueing and move the arm towards the label area with the platter spinning. Does the hum worsen?

AnthonyI, blujay and kvetcha like this.
  5. dkkic

dkkic Member

Okay well im not sure if its a hum then but it aounds like a hum to me. I dont even have to have the reag turned on it does it when i have the phono input selected on the amp when i turn it up loud but it doesmt do it on any other input just the phono input.

AnthonyI likes this.
  6. HiFi Guy

Is your turntable on top of or to the left of your Yamaha? I'm trying to make sure there isn't a free way to fix your issue.

AnthonyI likes this.
  7. dkkic

dkkic Member

This is how it is setup

Attached Files:

haimez40 and Bad Andy like this.
  8. HiFi Guy

Ok. No free solution. The phono stage may or may not help. Make sure you buy whatever you get from a dealer with a money back guarantee. I'd suggest the MoFi StudioPhono ($249) or the Vincent PH0-8 ($299).

AnthonyI likes this.
  9. Bad Andy

Bad Andy Well-Known Member

That is a gorgeous looking setup.

10. haimez40

haimez40 Member

Yeah I like that set up also.

I just got the Pho8 and I like it. I also ordered the Pangea AC14 power cord which adds to the low end.
    The break in period is real. It sounded about the same as my vintage Pioneer built in at first with a little increase in volume. It slowly is spreading out as people described.
    I did a fair amount of research and it kept popping up as the best option. Actually my search led me to this forum.
    I listen to hip hop and classic rock mostly so I got the Pangea out the gate, but I would suggest starting without, give it about 20 hours and see what you think.
    I started with Audio Technica LP120 and the bass was a little strong (according to my significant other), but when I upgraded to my Pioneer PLX1000 it sounds perfect.

GStephenH likes this.
  11. Shin Hayata

Shin Hayata Well-Known Member

Damnyum.. nice setup vinyl brother from another mother.

12. dkkic

dkkic Member

What is the reason that the pho8 is better than the 701? Also if i decided to spend a little more and go with the sutherland vibe would i notice a big jump in sound quality?

13. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Also, I will direct you to this thread JJJUST in case it peaks your intertest.
    Also, I will direct you to this thread JJJUST in case it peaks your interest. Also it's me, I'm selling it...

https://forum.vinylmeplease.com/ind...lehman-black-cube-statement-phono-stage.5985/

14. HiFi Guy

The reason why the 701 is inferior is because of the vacuum tube.

Vacuum tubes aren't bad. A few of us here use them. But, in the instance if the PHO-700, that unit is a conventional solid state unit with a vacuum tube on the output to flavor the sound. It's not a true vacuum tube unit, like say a Manley Chinook which is.

I'd recommend you look at the Black Cube that @Mather has. Great unit. Great price. It won't win any awards in the looks department, but it sounds great.

Mather likes this.