Need suggestions for moving a record collection

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by roger, Feb 8, 2019.

1. roger

roger Well-Known Member

Hey all,

So I'm moving my collection (and the rest of me) and am looking for suggestions for boxes that I can get the most efficient use out of the space so im not making 20 trips in my mazda with 1/4 full boxes.

I have like 400-500 records. any other tips would be appreciated.

thanks all.

2. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

I think weight is the killing factor and what almost makes you take multiple trips. I would opt for the extra trips and have everything show up in one piece instead of filling crates or boxes and having them be heavier and prone to some unexpected accident ;)

.............I know, not helpful at all (n)

tvham and nolady like this.
  3. roger

roger Well-Known Member

hahah. yeah i guess i should have specified, im moving like 8 miles from where I live now. i know extra trips are going to be in my future and i feel bad because every conversation ive had with my girlfriend about our move has included a talk about this collection.

NateOEB and AnthonyI like this.
  4. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

Don't give in, stay strong, my collection hit the Garage Sale a lifetime ago and I've never been the same since o_O

5. wooha

wooha Well-Known Member

UHaul “small” boxes (at least as of 2017) fit record dimensions perfectly. Weight is the issue. I loaded up 30-40 per box and buffered with tshirts/socks on either side.

DeadwaxDude, MattS and AnthonyI like this.
  6. WMEugene

WMEugene Well-Known Member

Last time I moved, liqour boxes from the local store worked wonders. They're usually thick boxes and our ABC stores are usually looking for an easy way to get rid of them.

roger, ThePakoBuelna and AnthonyI like this.
  7. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

I just moved most of my collection from Miami to Austin and the uhaul boxes were great. Use a lot of tape as the weight filled up will be heavy. I moved about 700 and if you have a buddy with an SUV I would recommend that but if not take a few extra trips. The uhaul boxes I filled all the way and my records all appear to be fine

ThePakoBuelna likes this.
  8. DeadwaxDude

DeadwaxDude Well-Known Member

I was under the impression their the medium boxes now right? Small boxes look to small. I'm planning a move also

9. wooha

wooha Well-Known Member

Don't know. They were definitely the small boxes when I moved. The medium size was way too big for records - shortest dimension was probably 16" or 20".

Check the dimensions on their website.

10. LeeVing

LeeVing Well-Known Member

wooha and MattS like this.
  11. wynn72

wynn72 Well-Known Member

I’m moving pretty soon as well. Going back and forth between the Uhaul small boxes and the Sleeve City ones. SCs are way more expensive, especially considering Im moving 600+ but they are very sturdy so may be worth the cost.

12. Benhawaii

Benhawaii Well-Known Member

i moved almost 1500 records two years ago in a van from vegas to seattle. my advice is the ikea kallax that ive used were perfect. i simply unloaded all my vinyl, threw my kallax units against the wall of the moving truck; restocked it and then used cushions, etc. to pad it til nothing moved. then i used tie downs to hold the units sturdy to the wall and drove carefully with all of our other belongings. when we arrived it was simply reversing what we did.

lee newman, GritNGlitter and roger like this.
  13. roger

roger Well-Known Member

Hey everyone! thanks for all of the input and suggestions. I can confirm that the "small" UHAUL boxes work great. if you intend on using the side handles to carry them i suggest putting something in between the records on either side so you can get your hands in, but given the weight of each one of those boxes, id also recommend just holding them from the bottom.

Attached Files:

lee newman likes this.