New Jersey

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Vinyl47, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Vinyl47

Vinyl47 Well-Known Member

For Vinyl Me, Please Members in, from & appreciative of the Garden State.

Edit: Well that didn't work. I wanted to set up a Garden State Sub Forum.
    I'm tired of coming here and having to choose between NYC and Philly.

djdavedk likes this.
  2. GStephenH

GStephenH Well-Known Member

Aren’t we just a suburb of NYC and Philly?

3. Vinyl47

[​IMG]

sahomerrocks and GStephenH like this.
  4. Vinyl47

As a way of distancing ourselves from the Suburb Theory, how about we start with a rundown of your Top 5 NJ Vinyl record purveyors (they call those "stores" in NYC and Philly")?

1. Vintage Vinyl (VMP was not wrong about that) - Fords, NJ
    2. Iris Records - Hoboken, NJ
    3. Princeton Record Exchange - Princeton, NJ
    4. Scotti's Record Shop - Summit, NJ
    5. Lofidelic Records - Belmar, NJ

5. GStephenH

Because of where I live (near Princeton) I only frequent PREC in NJ. I actually like Siren Records in Doylestown, PA better though. Layout is better and I don't have to crawl around as many Crosley owning college kids bent on destroying good vinyl with dagger needled TTs.

Vinyl47 likes this.
  6. Kris

Kris Well-Known Member

I’ve been to PREX a few times and I enjoy going there. Definitely feels like an event to go there. I’ve been to Scotti’s once. I remember it being well curated and therefore pricey.

I live across the border in NY which is pretty barren as far as record stores are concerned.

Vinyl47 likes this.
  7. Vinyl47

Scotti's is closest to my house, but i consider VV my local.

Scotti's has smallish RSD/BFRSD turnout so its good for those events.
    Also he buys local estate sale lots. Where I live there are a lot of those and he gets good Rarities in from time to time.
    Scored a pristine copy of Wildflowers there recently.

VV is THE BEST, however.
    1st Press Metal game is on point and they have an enormous selection of Used Mint Condition records in addition to the typical Used, $1 Bin and New Release categories.

If you are ever in Hoboken, check out Iris. Its small and dark but well curated and you can find some Gems. Picked up a RSD 2011 release (Deftones - Covers) there last year.

GStephenH and Kris like this.
  8. sahomerrocks

sahomerrocks Well-Known Member

I'll occasionally find some good things at Flipside II in Pompton Plain even though it's a real pain in the ass. The stacks are packed way too tight and I always have to end up having to pull the first 10 records out of each row to flip through. There's a new one in Chester that I've been meaning to go to. I think the guy who organizes the monthly record fair in Wayne runs it.

Scotti's is the closest store to me, but I only really head there on RSD or more likely the day after to pick over what's left.

Vinyl47 likes this.
  9. HardtoExplain

HardtoExplain Well-Known Member

Revilla Grooves & Gear is by far the best in NJ. PREX is overrun by college kids and almost feels like a tourist attraction, but still worth a trip if you're in the area. Never been to Vintage Vinyl, but probably because I don't listen to metal. Flipside II was the worst record store I've ever been to in my entire life. Scotti's is the closest to me and is run by a old little greedy man. Look Scotti's up on yelp, the owner likes to argue with everyone who leaves a bad review.

Vinyl47, djdavedk and GStephenH like this.
  10. Vinyl47

Where is Revilla? I'm always looking to improve my crate digging experience.

11. djdavedk

djdavedk Well-Known Member

My buddy (from NY and currently a PA resident) said VV was incredibly overpriced. He left in 15 minutes.

He got some good deals at Revilla.

Here in PA, we are spoiled rotten by Double Decker.

Vinyl47 and GStephenH like this.
  12. djdavedk

Also, I have shopped at PREX a few times. Sadly, my work rounds no longer take me to that area any more.

I never had time to dig on the floor, and when I went (during a M-F workday), it wasn't too crowded. I did find a number of great deals, including a Negativland album that I have never seen in any shop ($10), and a Scratch Acid EP. ($7)
    The new arrival bins is the place to start.

https://www.discogs.com/Negativland-Negativland/release/426453
    https://www.discogs.com/Scratch-Acid-Berserker/release/1188923

Vinyl47 and GStephenH like this.
  13. Vinyl47

My VV is typically limited to their Used VG+/Mint and OG Metal pressings.
    I try to buy new albums direct from the artists when I can.
    I'mma have to make a pilgrimage to Revilla now.

djdavedk likes this.
  14. Vinyl47

Not sure I can wait till March:
    Asbury Park record show Sunday March 24th @ The Stone Pony
    [​IMG]

GStephenH likes this.
  15. Vinyl47

Jersey is losing another Independent Brick & Mortar. Bad news for crate diggers.

Here is the email I just got from Iris Records.

All Good Dollar Records Must Come To An End!
    Iris Records Closes Up Shop
    Last Day Will Be Saturday February 16th
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can't really live a full life without making difficult decisions. And deciding to close our shop on Brunswick Street has been a tough one for me. We opened in June of 1996 (Fridays only!), with a dude named Nestor buying a Bob James album for four bucks. 22 years and millions of dollar records later, we have lots of old and new friends who will be gutted by our news.This was the most difficult aspect of my decision. Sure, the rent keeps rising, the internet is killing us and our street is a construction site without any businesses to bolster our shop. None of this is news to anyone who lives, works or plays in the "new" Jersey City. But communities need things like record stores, and with Stan's gone, JC will be left with no shop dedicated to music. That's what rankles me the most. But nothing lasts forever, right? Anyone who has spent time chatting with me about life in general won't be completely surprised by our closure. Running a business is difficult and I have a fair amount of tread on my tires. It's time for a change! Our last day will be Saturday February 16th. I hope that many of you can stop by between now and then.

A large part of my decision to close was strictly personal. Time is passing quickly and I have other important non-record things that I want to accomplish. My lovely partner Genevieve lives in Montreal and I'm up there often, and a "brick and mortar" Iris makes my life with her complicated to say the least. Operating a record store is very labor-intensive, and I think that the 70-80 hour weeks were wearing me down to a nub. And maybe the closure of Iris will open up the market for another great vinyl shop---and maybe there's a cheap storefront somewhere in Jersey City waiting for a new proprietor. I'd love that! And keep in mind that Iris Records is not abandoning Jersey City at all (see below). We'll be very involved in selling at local events with our outdoor setup. We'll still be selling t-shirts! We'll be operating out of our satellite offices across the street at 109 Brunswick (the old Another Man's Treasure location). Our phone number will be the same. You can buy vinyl from our website (it's live now). We'll still be buying vinyl collections and adding to the cultural quality of our community. This aspect matters to me!

The "thank yous" are too numerous to ever possibly seem complete. Many great employees helped "get it done" through the years but I'd like to single out four mainstays in the Iris story chronologically: Melissa Jackson, Larry Brinkman, Steve Silvestri and Ryan Sy. This quartet always went way way overboard with effort, keeping things going while I was living my somewhat extreme life, often in the car with bloodshot eyes coming back from Quebec (these days) or flying back from Paris with disco records (my life in 1998). Iris would not have survived without you guys! In addition, important supporting roles were also played by Christine Repella, Greg Edgell, Nick Plain, Anne Marie Chan, Tom Pezza, Gisel Endara, and most recently Samantha Nakhoul. I've always been blessed with fine workers at Iris Records, and I can never ever pay you back for your efforts. I know that, and will never forget your dedication.

And what can I say about the customers? I could write volumes. Let's just say that our customer base has defined the word "diverse" through the years. They have been passionate and informed, dedicated and sometimes a bit insane with their drive to conquer. Do remember that we started out as a store for DJs and hip hop producers, because few others were buying records in 1996. Japanese dealers were an important part of the business in those days, with stores like Cisco Music and Manhattan Records spending thousands of dollars at a clip. The CD era saw small numbers of customers slowly drifting back toward records, especially as hip hop painted records as "cool again" (they were NEVER not cool).And the recent vinyl revival has brought a whole new generation of record buyers to the table, and it's been a pleasure introducing customers to great music of the past and present. I've learned so much from the customers, right up to 2019, because the best thing about records is that there's always ANOTHER record to find. Customers are what makes a store, and our customers have been wonderful for all 22 years!

A few logistical notes are in order. If you have a gift card in your possession from Christmas, don't panic! We'll make good on all gift certificates even if you find out about us closing after February 16th. No one will lose out. You can return new vinyl to us after the 16th as well. Obviously there will be no Record Store Day in April for us. (I wholeheartedly endorse shopping at Tunes in Hoboken on that crazy Saturday and in general. Chip's store always has great stuff!) Our emphasis will move away from new vinyl and more toward the used---this might mean that our days of "special orders" might be over (not determined yet). Our website is up and running, and you can order things from us AFTER we close and either have LPs mailed to you and picked up at 109 Brunswick Street. More information and logistical updates will certainly follow. I'll continue to communicate with the customer base through these types of missives and also social media (of course).

What are the photos above? Top, An early Iris sign that was never used, 1997. Hands unknown! Left, The shop the way many old-time customers liked it, a complete mess. Right, An early important customer and great friend, Osaka's Masaharu Sato.of Jellybean Records.

But stop your sobbing! We're not completely leaving you. We'll still be hosting events & dealing vinyl.
    We love Jersey City and still plan on being part of the cultural action:

• We'll be supplying Another Man's Treasure and Balance Hair Salon with better and more extensive vinyl selections. New arrivals weekly!
    • The JC Record Riots will continue, as will our monthly Grand Bazaar JC markets at the Grove Street PATH Plaza. (held on select Fridays from April to December).
    • We're also very excited to join Historic Downtown SID's calendar of events: JC Fridays, Groove On Grove and more. Rachel Seig has been so supportive in helping the Iris transition. Thanks Rachel!
    • Don't be surprised if we announce occasional pop-up events in front of our 109 Brunswick Street satellite office. Who knows?
    Even without the physical shop, I'm still committed to Jersey City and its record buyers. I have too many favorite customers and experiences to totally detach. We're really not going anywhere. But 114 Brunswick Street (the pharmacy!), with all that dramatic wood, the old Jersey City ghostly energy, the memories of Mayfield & Monch (my cats), the echoes of amazing live performances in our "Martin guitar" sound space, the card games that the pharmicist held upstairs, the spot on the floor where Woody Allen stood, the ancient dust and oddball dollar records---well, it will all be no more after Saturday February 16th. Stop by on our final day to hear some of my favorite local DJs play and to reminisce (refreshments too). A bientot

djdavedk likes this.
  16. djdavedk

That's a bittersweet yet AWESOME so long but not farewell post.

GStephenH and Vinyl47 like this.
  17. Vinyl47

Not sure where to put this...so I'll just keep it on the local scene for now.

Its one of my favorite reads every year. AV Club's "The Year in Band Names".
    It’s an article with all the weirdest new band names and a link to their music so you can check them out for yourselves.

My favorites this year are a tie between: Telekinetic Yeti and Vomiting Dinosaurs.

djdavedk and GStephenH like this.
  18. GStephenH

Angelique Kidjo is playing at the McCarter Theater in Princeton April 12. Bought tickets this morning but not too many left in case you are interested.

djdavedk and Vinyl47 like this.