New Record: Acceptable Surface Noise

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by MikeyPD, Mar 16, 2019 at 4:07 PM.

1. MikeyPD

MikeyPD Well-Known Member

We all know that surface noise is often part of the vinyl experience. I get that and understand.

But sometimes i receive a record and am bothered by it. It can be distracting and bothersome. Especially if it was an expensive album. I have high expectations from things put out by Vinyl Me, Please. For good reason, IMO. Almost everything I’ve gotten from them has been perfect.

I got Open Mike Eagle in my shipment. Great album. I just feel like the noise is louder than I accustomed to from VMP. I’m trying to discern if I’m being too picky or if I should say something.

How do you feel about surface noise? Do you have an acceptable level?

Darin Star Boogie likes this.
  2. MikeyPD

I should add that I send everything through my Spin Clean and place in a MoFi sleeve upon receiving it.

Darin Star Boogie and djdavedk like this.
  3. djdavedk

djdavedk Well-Known Member

In my opinion (and 40 years of record buying), new vinyl should not be noisy, and furthermore should NOT require cleaning before playing.

Darin Star Boogie, MikeyPD and wynn72 like this.
  4. MikeyPD

Thank you for the input. I’ll give a listen again tomorrow and decide if I am going to email customer service. With a 45rpm pressing my level of expectation is much higher.

5. Colonel_Angus

Colonel_Angus Well-Known Member

Acceptable surface noise:
    ssssssssssssssssssssssss

Unacceptable:
    SSSSSSSSSSSSS

6. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

New records should be cleaned before play, and shouldn't be noisy. I'll agree with @Colonel_Angus on this one.

7. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

My copy of
    The OME ROTM is not noisey. If it is static, it will dissipate over time, if it does not - then ask for a replacement.

@djdavedk new clean vinyl should not be noisey. New vinyl needs to be cleaned and has often got more yuck in it than used vinyl.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 8:57 AM
  8. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

Definitely agree with you on dirty new vinyl, besides the paper deposits from shitty sleeves I’m noticing an awful lot of what appears to be oil at the bottom of my spin clean.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 8:47 AM
  9. SKOT_FREE

SKOT_FREE Well-Known Member

My thing is that I generally don’t like surface noise at all unless the record is old. A brand new record that has noose is not acceptable at all imo.

10. djdavedk

Why didn’t the new albums I bought in the 70s and 80s need cleaning first?

11. MikeyPD

You might be right, Lee! I think it could have been static. Usually the spin clean takes care of that right away.

Today I spun again with headphones on and I believe it sounds better. I’ll continue to do an obsessive study, as per my usual protocols.

Darin Star Boogie and lee newman like this.
  12. MikeyPD

My guess would the quality of packaging could have been different. I’m not sure. I wasn’t around back then

Some albums I get are pristine out of the sleeve. Others (especially those with paper sleeves) have those nasty little paper fragments in it. I’ve only recently started cleaning everything as soon as I get it. I recently went through and cleaned my entire 106 albums. I noted when each was cleaned. So if I have time, I clean new ones as I get them so that everything is on the same cleanliness timetable.

13. MikeyPD

This demonstration is amazing. Haha thank you.

14. POGunter

POGunter Well-Known Member

They did. :)

Darin Star Boogie and AnthonyI like this.
  15. POGunter

POGunter Well-Known Member

You have and enjoy the sound of lots of vinyl in spite of a slightly higher noise floor than some other sources. You have other VMP pressings that sound great to you.

Now you have a new VMP lp that is so noisy you can not focus on or enjoy the music. You are not being picky. You just have a faulty pressing. Hopefully it is a limited problem and not a large percentage of the pressing run.

When buying a new release mailorder you are not being picky to expect a reasonably well pressed vinyl to be delivered in like new undamaged condition (in spite of what some online sellers want to make you believe).

VMP is one of the more reputable sellers for this issue. Request a replacement and hope the next one is better.

16. djdavedk

Nope.

Darin Star Boogie likes this.
  17. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

Because we didn't know any better. I think of my first "Record Player" and cringe thinking what that "needle" did to my mom's 45's. But we enjoyed it for what it was, blissfully unaware, lol. There are times when I pull a new album out of it's sleeve and it looks pristine, there are other times, more than I would prefer, that I pull out a new album and there is so much dust, paper residue, etc..that it makes me itchy ;)

For what we've invested into our systems and stylus to enjoy the sound quality of a given album, a cleaning before playing is a pretty small effort to put forth ;)

18. djdavedk

When I bought new vinyl in the mid 80s, I knew what dirty was. I was a college DJ. We used those felt Discwashers and D4 fluid. I handled records by the edges.

New albums really did not need cleaning like now. Maybe the QC was different, or the pressing process.

ThePakoBuelna, MikeyPD and AnthonyI like this.