Not Hardware but... Media Center Software ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SonOfJames, Jul 11, 2018.

1. SonOfJames

SonOfJames Guest

Moderators: If this is inappropriate to delete or needs to be moved to a better section please do...

I do not not have the resources for or want the yearly or monthly subscription costs of Roon although I think it looks absolutely fantastic!

What else is everyone using ? Here is what I been considering. I am on mac/android.

- Stick with itunes (free), my current, supplement with allmusic, etc.
    - Try J River, seems the next best alternative to Roon, still cost and update fee's
    - Try Kodi or Plex, Kodi looks to be open source.
    - Other suggestion ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2018
    lee newman likes this.
  2. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

I quite like Audirvana, which uses iTunes' library but uses its own audio engine. Sounds way better than iTunes.

Of course, I seem to only fire up my Mac/DAC setup a couple of times a year. Not kidding.

lee newman and SonOfJames like this.
  3. wgb113

wgb113 Well-Known Member

If I didn’t use Roon I’d simply use iTunes since we’re all Apple here at the house. If you didn’t get sucked into that ecosystem I’d try demos of the others if available.

SonOfJames and lee newman like this.
  4. SonOfJames

SonOfJames Guest

Really liking Audirvana first use @HiFi Guy. You can keep it in the background as well until you get everything moved over from itunes (playlists, etc.). Sonically reminds me of the old HRT Streamer I had in my rig a while back, musical, not bright, but more refined than itunes.

Note there are no music info features like Roon, but I can still live with allmusic.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2018
    lee newman and HiFi Guy like this.
  5. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

bruggles Well-Known Member

Depending on your listening habits, Plex can be good. Once set up, you can stream your stuff anywhere, anytime, on any platform. It also has an auto-playlist function (Plex Mix) that's similar to the Genius feature on iTunes. However, that feature isn't perfect... some songs, for some reason, won't allow for it or give an error basically saying there isn't enough like-music to create a playlist, even though I can select a song RIGHT below it on the SAME album and get a different result... go figure.

Transcoding is also a nice feature if you are worried about bandwidth when on the move or have lossless files that won't play on one platform or another (goddamn iPhone... -_-)

I don't know what features are free on Plex though as I paid the lifetime fee. I use it mostly for movies, so it's a nice multi-use platform.

SonOfJames and lee newman like this.
  7. SonOfJames

SonOfJames Guest

@HiFi Guy have you played around with the audio settings in Audirvana btw or know a place or thread with such knowledge ?

Again quite impressed with what I am hearing.

8. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

There's a setting for the program to optimize your system. That's how mine is set. It prioritizes sound quality over other functions and disables unnecessary background stuff.