Official April '18 Guess Thread (the what-did-you-have-for-lunch-today thread)

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by ayayrawn, Feb 20, 2018.

1. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

I'm excited for this one! Glad to see it getting the VMP treatment. Hopefully I can purchase Beach House since I swapped it for a swap only option.

This comes up all the time. I highly doubt these will be equivalent releases/pressings based on VMP's recent releases. We'll have to wait to see to confirm, but I'm not worried.
    Here was my input based on this same argument related to Beach House: http://forum.vinylmeplease.com/inde...evotion-mar-2018-rotm.5534/page-4#post-513131
    If you want the cheap one, buy the cheap one. We have a whole thread dedicated to swaps.

2. Paul1023

Paul1023 Active Member

This seems like an OK release to me. I always liked this album but never loved it (never quite got the hype). Unfortunately this seems the case for several of the most recent releases. I haven’t listened to Beach House, but most things I’ve read about Devotion dont have it as one of their best. I thought Play was a great release, and I swapped Mesfin (not my cup of tea) Sorcerer is a really good album, but let’s be honest it’s not near the top of Miles’ discography (that being said, it was kind of cool to get an overlooked record like that). So, all this rambling to say that I’ve not necessarily been disappointed the last few months, but a bit underwhelmed by several of the last few picks

3. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Arctic Monkeys rule y'all are dweebs

4. ByersVinyl

ByersVinyl Well-Known Member

Im sure AM will go down a storm with the wider membership though. Its a populist pick.
    Given Ive owned this on CD for 10 yrs and not touched it for 9.5 of those, im not terribly inspired. On a positive note, geographically Sheffield (uk) is under 90minutes from my home address. Which feels like a clap hands moment for the North of England.

Im on the worst run of AOTMs since i joined in 2015.I think St Vincent (November) was the last one ive spun regularly and enjoyed.
    Id probably be happier with AM (do i wanna know is a great tune)
    Mild disappointment vented.

5. dbarila

dbarila Well-Known Member

As much as I love that Arctic Monkeys album, I still don't think the pick makes sense. It's not any particular anniversary and it's right after Beach House. Not complaining because it's great but I can understand people who aren't indie fans problem with it.

6. Mitchell

There's still time for a new album announcement within the next few weeks.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  7. baylord

baylord Well-Known Member

I don't know why people keep comparing Beach House to AM. AM is about as far from dream pop as you can get in the indie world. They are dissimilar and have very different fan bases. You would almost need to be in a polar opposite mood to choose to spin one over the other.

8. Goatfish

Goatfish Well-Known Member

This will be 5 swaps in a row since my re-up. Though, to be fair, I'll swap for Miles soon at this rate.

I didn't like the Ayalew record, but I loved the pick. I didn't like the records OR the picks of January, March and now presumably April. I just view those three as pretty "lazy" picks, and hardly worthy of curation. YMMV.

Just getting my vents out now, as I'm getting dangerously close to owning everything in the back catalog across all three subs that I'd want to Swap for now, and the store has been getting less appealing to my taste as of late. Hoping it's a temporary hiccup and not a change of philosophy since I'm locked in until October.

9. Tillman

Tillman Well-Known Member

"Anticipation has a habit to set you up for disappointment..."

10. Radio Guerrilla

Radio Guerrilla Active Member

"but tonight there'll be some love.."

notgabewhite and alspriet like this.
  11. hhabelt

hhabelt Well-Known Member

So, we got an unintentional reveal about a week in advance, right? Staff has to be annoyed.

12. mdl

mdl Well-Known Member

I mentioned it there.

Though there might be someone earlier.

Before shouting starts. <3

notgabewhite, alspriet and Bawj like this.
  13. chrb98

chrb98 Well-Known Member

I'll admit I'm a tad bit underwhelmed at the pick, but I really think we should wait until the official announcement before forming a solid opinion on this. VMP showed us as early as last month that they can still pull out some surprises when it comes to easily-available albums as ROTMs - they took an album with shoddy, issue-laden common pressings and went all out with a remastered audiophile-quality pressing and one of the coolest looking packages in a while (I assume - I haven't actually gotten it yet, I'm just going off of pics and videos others have posted :p ). While I do find this pick a little uninspired, especially being right after an album that's in a similar vein, I definitely think our views can and will turn around if this ends up being a truly premium package.

14. heartswells

heartswells Well-Known Member

Assuming it is AM, wonder if they’re launching the UK VMP distribution for this, can imagine a huge influx of UK folk signing up.

15. Bawj

Bawj Well-Known Member

Looks like @DeadwaxDude back on 2/24.

16. hhabelt

hhabelt Well-Known Member

Also, is it the same color as the Beach House record? Kinda looks it.

17. Goatfish

Goatfish Well-Known Member

Nah, looks like a clear/smoke variant.

18. Jake!

Jake! Well-Known Member

I've never really listened to Arctic Monkeys but it's not Tom Waits so I'm gonna pretend that the Closing Time exclusive is the real Essentials album

also what's up with all the poop colored vinyl the last two months?

19. Mitchell

storf's been busy

20. dbarila

dbarila Well-Known Member

It's not that they are the same genre. Just that it's 2 widely available "indie" type picks in a row. If you look at VMPs pick history usually there's only 1 or 2 picks like that a year. It's not comparing the bands just the type of pick.