*Official* January Store Thread

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by vinylmeplease, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Murfocakes

Murfocakes Well-Known Member

Looking at Love Bites by The Buzzcocks. It’s $23 which should be under the amount to get taxed by customs.

If you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you'll have to pay Customs Duty (if over £120 value) and Import VAT (if over £18) on top of the purchase price (including duties), though Customs Duty is waived if the amount of the calculated duty payable is £7 or less.

I should be fine. Don’t want be to b!t$#ing or taking advantage of VMP’s goodness here but having some understanding of which plant is selling it and what to do if I got charged would mean the difference if giving VMP and amazon my money. (Also as I still have lots of VMP credit it would be nice to use some)

Jonathan Y, Selaws, JoeMac7 and 4 others like this.
  2. Bad Andy

Bad Andy Well-Known Member

Update: The email regarding today's new pics and tomorrow's sale came in at 12:15 (20 minutes ago). You would think they would all go out at once to give everyone a fair shot if exclusives were in short supply.

3. gafacaode

gafacaode Well-Known Member

A calculator is the international member's best friend!
    I feel you, since the shipping for curated picks changed, I have to do math before buying!

4. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

Since I am bad at maths, I prefer not to buy any curated records. These sales tomorrow are scaring me though, there's nothing I am really looking after in the store but I know VMP surprised me quite a few times in the past when it comes to sales.

5. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

I tend to get them either at 10am or noon mountain time

6. gafacaode

My plan is to "forget" about the sale...

7. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

8. Mr Moore

Mr Moore Well-Known Member

Has there been confirmation that VMP are no longer refunding customs charges should they occur? @green.bean @Storf - do either of you know if this is now the case? Thanks.

9. Murfocakes

Think it was one member on here who said he or she would not have their fees covered. Both Pauly and Kathleen have said in the past that fees would be stood over but December was a tough month for them (and a few of us) and things may have changed

Yes don’t think anyone international would try to incur charges due to the trouble of contacting CS and we don’t want VMP to be having to divy up excessive charges but clarification would allow us to purchase selectively and with peace of mind. Or not purchase. My point about the Prince albums which I was shot down for earlier is I would rather use VMP than amazon, I don’t want it to cost me more, I don’t want it to cost VMP as a company more but I would like to know if a charge happens with me purchasing reasonably and responsibly within certain values will VMP have my back.

Also does this apply for AOTMs, will that still be supported.

10. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

Curated and AoTMs/exclusives are not shipped by the same company. I didn't purchased any curated pick in the last months so I don't know what the packing list shows. I never had any custom issues with parcels sent by Saddle Creek, the packing list shows that each record is stated at $1. I think we are safe with AoTMs and exclusives.

11. Murfocakes

God bless Saddle Creek.

I really mean it

Maaaaaaaaaannnnn

12. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

I never thought that I would think that but, yes.

13. Murfocakes

Just asking in reference to the $23 and less albums in particular. The Prince ones would put me over the range. I can survive without purchasing curated again, it’s just Radio Ethiopia and Love Bites caught my eyes. And it would be nice to know.

Darin Star Boogie likes this.
  14. gafacaode

Full disclosure, I'm actually from Argentina but I have lived in Brazil since I was 3 years old. While Caetano is a legend I can't really get past his personality. So my knowledge of Brazilian music isn't very deep, that said:
    That list has quite a few albums I love. I don't know what you already listened to but I love that Titãs album, Chico Science and Mundo Livre are awesome (imo) and I would put Jorge Ben's Samba Esquema Novo way higher on the list. I also love everything Mutantes and that Arnaldo Baptista album is stickying pudding awesome. Raul Seixas is pretty great too.
    That's a deep rabbit hole, mon ami

15. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

Full disclosure, I live in France but grew up in a Portuguese family. I've been trying to grab some records Polysom Brasil reissued in the last years (Moacir Santos, Milton Nascimento & Lô Borges, Chico Buarque, Tim Maia and many others) but most are quite expensive here. I was lucky to grab two Jorge Ben records from Mr Bongo last year, including A Tabua de Esmeralda.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  16. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

I resisted store day. I finished a book that made me cry. I searched for spam bots to spam ban. Did I miss anything?

17. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

Everything is quiet. No fights.

18. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

In more ways than one lol

19. indiemisanthrope

indiemisanthrope Well-Known Member

Get ye to the Books, Books, Books thread please & thank you.

20. Murfocakes

No comment