Official September '18 Rap & Hip-Hop Guess Thread/Migos Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by Wicked Dreamer, Aug 1, 2018.

1. ayayrawn

ayayrawn Well-Known Member

Daytona

2. bohnjaggs

bohnjaggs Well-Known Member

It's my ALBUM of the year so far...

3. Ryan Kugler

Ryan Kugler Well-Known Member

I've been a lurker the last week with all the Travis love going on here. Once again, I'm way off with what the typical Travis fan thinks as I just do not get this one at all. I honestly couldn't get into anything but a couple tracks. I'm sure a couple more will grow on me but overall this and Travis just isn't for me.

I swear sometimes people just like beat switches because it's a beat switch. I see so much love for Sicko Mode but that song sounds horrendous to me and has no continuity at all with those switches. It's like he had 3-4 small songs that he didn't know what to do with so he just randomly threw them together. I must have looked at my phone 5 different times during that one song trying to figure out what song I was listening to.

I know tastes are subjective but I just cantc fathom how anyone would have this better than DAYTONA or Book of Ryan. Hell, Royce is a lyrical rapper and he sings better than the singing rappers.

4. NathanRicaud

NathanRicaud Well-Known Member

I do also expect differing and diverse opinions around whether STARGAZING/SICKO MODE are better or if R.I.P. SCREW/HOUSTONFORNICATION are better. But without trying to be like a dog or sounding too cocky, I already know that most people publicly and critically would much prefer STARGAZING/SICKO MODE over R.I.P. SCREW/HOUSTONFORNICATION. My explanations for why them two tracks are infectious, would be main reasons why people would enjoy those two tracks more in comparison to R.I.P. SCREW & HOUSTONFORNICATION.

For me, the multiple beat switches for SICKO MODE and the midway beat switch for STARGAZING do indeed make both tracks more extravagant and thrilling. But the strengths of Travis Scott's music is how intoxicating his music is and the beauty behind his production, it's never been about the lyrics. The same thing can be said for A$AP Rocky when he first released his mixtape 'LIVE.LONG.A$AP'. The beauty in that album are the hazy, slow, intoxicating beats. A$AP Rocky being young and immersing himself in the lifestyle he lives in, also adds to the beauty of the album, because his personality was also unique, fresh and edgy.

Travis Scott got to superstardom for the unique sound found on Rodeo, not for his lyrical content at all. STARGAZING and SICKO MODE are instantly captivating tracks on first listen and draw you in. The false start on SICKO MODE is just genius and reminds me of how Travis Scott would do a long intro to a track, like on Maria I'm Drunk. This time for SICKO MODE however, it's a different sort of intro, an intro that has a lot of energy even though Drake is just talking for most of it and an intro that you also wish would not stop as soon as Drake starts rapping.

So my perspective is that the vibe/rhythms/harmonies outweigh the lyrical content by far, which is found on HOUSTONFORNICATION & R.I.P. SCREW. I believe SICKO MODE & STARGAZING will be tracks that will still be talked about when ranking Travis Scott's all-time best songs. I strongly believe R.I.P SCREW & HOUSTONFORNICATION will hardly be mentioned when celebrating Travis Scott's all-time top songs.

I agree with what you are saying on STOP TRYING TO BE GOD. The harmonies and autotune are executed very well. It would probably be my 5th favourite track on ASTROWORLD. The lyrical content does actually jump out to me and so does James Blake's and Stevie Wonder's contributions. For me, I prefer my top 4 tracks just because of their beats, the rapping/singing employed by Travis/the features and the general aesthetic of those tracks.

Hahahaha That is true, you are from Australia too and you're super young. I would say I'm a bit young, but your a baby! Part of me wanted to be evil and just be like "you're opinion doesn't matter too much because you're a bit too young to understand and acknowledge sounds/vibes/lyrics in music" but that would be so wrong lol

You write really well for an 18 year old and it seems like you have really good music taste for an 18 year old too! :) But I will admit that I am really opinionated and I do change my mind sometimes when debating with people, but I can't see myself changing my opinion in the slightest with thinking that R.I.P SCREW/HOUSTONFORNICATION is better/superior to NC-17, 5% TINT, STARGAZING & SICKO MODE.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  5. Woob_woob

Woob_woob Well-Known Member

All 3 are better than Astroworld by a long shot and Im enjoying Astroworld. With how much good hip hop there is this year I dont know If Astroworld breaks my top 25 of the genre.

Edit: it does, but just barely

Young Fathers- Cocoa Sugar
    Tierra Whack- Whack World
    Westside Gunn - Supreme Blientele
    Nostrum Grocers- Nostrum Grocers
    Scallops Hotel - sovereign nose of (y)our arrogant face
    Busdriver - Electricity is on our Side
    Jpegmafia - Veteran
    Saba - Care For Me
    Kids See Ghosts - Kids See Ghosts
    Royce da 59 - Book of Ryan
    Flatbush Zombies - Vacation in Hell
    Jean Grae & Quelle Chris – Everything’s Fine
    Crimeapple - Aguardiente
    Jay Rock - Redemption
    Freddie Gibbs - Freddie
    Pusha T - Daytona
    Death Grips - Year of the Snitch
    YG - Stay Dangerous
    Phonte - No News is Good News
    Black Thought - Streams of Thought Vol 1
    Maxo Kream - Punken
    Denzel Curry - Ta13oo
    Travis Scott - Astroworld
    Kanye - Ye

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  6. NathanRicaud

I don't understand this list at all. But I can't debate it because everyone's music taste is subjective. I do understand your top 3 albums even though neither would be in my top 5, but I don't understand how you like Jay Rock's album more than Pusha T's album...

But it's all subjective in the end. I mean, I reckon Britney Spears' Blackout is better than all these albums except KIDS SEE GHOST so even my taste can seem bizarre too! lol

Phaneronic and jaycee like this.
  7. Woob_woob

Mostly replay factor. As good as Daytona is, it's a little short and I'd take tracks like Win, The Bloodiest, and Kings Dead over anything on Daytona.

8. Tj.

Tj. Well-Known Member

I felt the same way last week with all the Curry love. Just can't get into that album.

I'm not really a Travis Scott fan. Haven't liked his other albums and didn't expect to like this one but after a few listens it grew on me. It just has a nice groove, I could drive all night to it.

Too many clunkers on Book of Ryan for me and I'm not really a fan Royce singing. It's weird because I feel like I should like it and the phonte album more than I do but both just bore me.

Agree with most of these except I'll have Beastmode 2 and God Mode both in my top 10. And this new Trapo album is feeling like it's gonna make my list too. Really enjoying that one.

Enaz Fox, Phaneronic, jaycee and 2 others like this.
  9. KenKaniff

KenKaniff Well-Known Member

Interesting - what did you think of Key! & Kenny Beats album and Gunna's DS3?

10. Woob_woob

Havent listened to either. I'll check them out this weekend

Phaneronic and lee newman like this.
  11. NewsFedora

NewsFedora Active Member

Ah well, Jedi Mind Tricks got shot down with the "artist on cover" hint. I do hope one of their releases (or Army of the Pharaohs) makes it to AOTM at some point.

12. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Okay so, for someone who knows next to nothing about current RHH artists... and currently is watching a movie and therefore cannot Google his songs... Describe what Saba sounds like. GO!

13. dirty hands

dirty hands Well-Known Member

like Insane Clown Posse mixed with Ja Rule

14. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Timeless, can I buy 3?

15. NathanRicaud

He sounds like a more calm version of Chance the Rapper. His 2018 album 'Care For Me' sounds a bit like Isiaiah Rashad's 'The Sun's Tirade' in terms of the album being very sad and personal and the music sounding accessible (pleasant to listen to). Saba has a very 'chicago' sound - he sounds a bit like an amatuerish Noname, like a knowledgeable young quiet man, yet sounds like Mick Jenkins -his voice and flows have a lot of emotions like Mick Jenkins. Care For Me, has a low-fi trap, atmospheric sound to it that soul-inducing. So imagine the aesthetics you feel when you hear a James Blake song like "Unluck", mixed with the depressing soulful sound of Earl Sweatshirt's "Chum", mixed with the lush production from XXYYXX hypnotic song "About You"

Those three songs are all from 5 years ago and before, I think you would know that James Blake and XXYYXX song at least!. Hope that helps with the feel to expect from this Saba album

16. KenKaniff

KenKaniff Well-Known Member

Nailed it.. And a dash of Brian Austin Green 'One Stop Carnival'.

17. NateOEB

NateOEB Well-Known Member

He's a 24 year old from Chicago, he grew up in a musical family and shares a lot of the jazzy influences of his fellow rising artists from the city. He was a gifted student and raps a lot about that and personal struggles with depression, loss of friends, and isolation. He produces a lot of his songs and "credits fellow Midwest musicians Lupe Fiasco, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, and Kanye West as his biggest influence."

18. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Thank you @NathanRicaud that was helpful. I just have a couple other questions:

Who is Isiaiah Rashad, Mick Jenkins, Earl Sweatshirt; what's a XXYYXX did your keyboard get stuck and James Blake sings "You're Beautiful" right?

19. NateOEB

NateOEB Well-Known Member

I like the way your musical brain works and that's a hell of a fine first name you've got there.

chrb98, Woob_woob, alspriet and 4 others like this.
  20. NathanRicaud

Wait??? You don't know Earl Sweatshirt is.......damn! HOW OLD ARE YOU?!?!?!?!?

But waaaaaaaaaait... I feel like you're playing around because you know how gullible I am. But just because I don't know a lot of general things most people know, I'll explain each quickly.

Isaiah Rashad - He is part of the Top Dawg Enterntainment (TDE) label. Kendrick Lamar is also on the same label. Isaiah Rashad's album "The Sun's Tirade" has a neo-soul sound to it, but it also has a contemporary left-field hip-hop sound to it as well. The Sun's Tirade can also be a bit similar to Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly, in terms of the themes of depression and the soulful production found on the album. Isaiah Rashad is a pretty conscious rapper and tends to have aggressive flows over mellow beats.

Earl Sweatshirt - Part of Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All. This is the same crew Tyler The Creator is part of. Earl Sweatshirt is a pretty underground rapper but his sound is very dark, nocturnal and depressing. It sounds like he is talking most a lot of the times he wraps. His rap album "I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside" is a great record VMP did an exclusive pressing on!

Mick Jenkins - A Chicago rapper affiliated with Chance the Rapper & Noname. His mostly known for his mixtape The Water(s), which is a concept mixtape, where he uses 'water' in different lenses, explaining how consuming water is beneficial to you. Mick Jenkins sound is contemporary, pretty left-fielded and his voice is deep. He's collaborated with BADBADNOTGOOD a few times.

XXYYXX - Some young Electronic producer who created a lot of hype after releasing his track 'About You', a song very ahead for its time that came out in the early 2010's. The beat to that song is subdued, has a slow-motion feel to it, and it has a dizzying, druggy aesthetic to it.

James Blake - He also does electronic music and is not James Blunt. He manipulates his voice and makes his voice sound really surreal. He manipulates his voice against these soulful, futuristic, abstract beats. His music sometimes sounds ghostly but also sounds very emotional, sad & elegant.