Opening Acts

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by Aron, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Well-Known Member

I saw Blind Melon in April of that same year. They were opening up for Guns N‘ Roses on their Use Your Illusion tour. Shannon did backing vocals on a few tracks on the album and joined Axel and guys on stage for them. I had no idea who they were at the time as the video for No Rain hadn’t broken through yet.

ThePakoBuelna and Aron like this.
  2. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

SRV was killed shortly before I arrived in Austin, so I never got to see him. You're very lucky...and you have a cool story to tell too.

ThePakoBuelna and POGunter like this.
  3. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

Shannon is in the 'Don't Cry' video too, if I remember correctly. I wish I remembered more of their set. I just remember Shannon dancing around on stage, and I distinctly remember 'Tones of Home'. I think I only really knew 'No Rain' going into that show.

Chucktshoes, ThePakoBuelna and tvham like this.
  4. tvham

tvham Well-Known Member

I saw them headline a club in Tucson when I was in college...there were maybe 30 people there but Shannon came out, looked at the crowd and said come close, guys, were going to rock out for those of you cool enough to be here.

lee newman and Aron like this.
  5. hatfieldpdx

hatfieldpdx Well-Known Member

In 2004, I saw a little band by the name of Arcade Fire open for two other bands at Bossanova Ballroom here in Portland. ‘Funeral’ had dropped about six weeks earlier, and they were riding their first wave of acclaim. It was a brilliant, unhinged performance. They were young and exploding with energy and you just couldn’t take your eyes off of them. Oddly, despite that notable first impression, I haven’t seen them live again, as none of their albums since ‘Funeral’ have done all that much for me. Some memories are best kept as is.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    djxfactor511, Aron and ThePakoBuelna like this.
  6. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

tvham and lee newman like this.
  7. Selaws

Selaws Well-Known Member

I have been fortunate enough to see some killer opening acts. Most noteworthy:

Years & Years opening for Clean Bandit (29/10/2014)

Little Simz opening for Gorillaz (02/12/2017)

James Blake opening for Kendrick Lamar (12/02/2018)

GoGo Penguin opening for Bonobo (01/06/2018)

Little Simz opening for The Roots (12/07/2018)

Theres been loads of fantastic, less know opening acts as well.

ThePakoBuelna, lee newman and Aron like this.
  8. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

Well that’s a fun site. I love how NY covered NY for most of the night.

Aron likes this.
  9. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

I saw Okkervil River open for The Wrens at Emo's in Austin back in 2004. I had heard the name Okkervil River around town, but that was my first time seeing them. I had it in my head from their name that they were going to be an acoustic ensemble or something. I remember being surprised that they had more of a rock tinge. I liked their set quite a bit, and then became a big fan the following year when "Black Sheep Boy" was released.

Also, The Wrens were a fantastic live act around that time. I saw them 3 times in support of The Meadowlands, and they brought it every time.

mcherry and lee newman like this.
  10. tvham

tvham Well-Known Member

The first time I ever heard the National was when they opened for Modest Mouse and R.E.M. at the Greek in Berkeley in 2008...I walked out of that show and immediately bought Alligator and Boxer, they blew MM out of the water and were right up there with a very on R.E.M.

mcherry, lee newman and Aron like this.
  11. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

A few years back I caught The National as a headliner, and the opener was Warpaint. I had recently gotten pretty heavy into Warpaint, so I was really interested in seeing them, maybe more than The National, who I wasn't terribly familiar with. I liked "Trouble Will Find Me", which was the album they were touring behind, but I didn't know much beyond that. Ended up being a really good show. Warpaint were very hypnotic and groovy. Just what I was wanting to hear, and then The National ended up being a great live act. I didn't like that Matt kept banging the mic on his head in multiple songs, but, I've since learned that is something he does regularly.

12. djxfactor511

djxfactor511 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Booker T, seeing him open for The Black Keys was pretty cool. Definitely the best opener for those earlier Keys shows before they started playing arenas.

Some openers of note that left a good impression on me:

Walk The Moon opening for Fitz & The Tantrums (touring their first album before they went all poppy) November 2011 and again opening for Young The Giant in Feb 2012.

Saw Lucius opening for Tegan & Sara twice. They definitely stole the show.

Anderson East opening for The Lone Bellow when his first album dropped.

John Moreland blew Shovels & Rope outta the water when he opened for them.

Nathaniel Rateliff solo acoustic prior to The Nightsweats opening for Gregory Alan Isakov

Half Moon Run opening for Metric

This local Cincinnati band called Automagik opening for Foxy Shazam were so good. They've had a number of lineup changes since and their music is nearly as good or energetic anymore but they played the hell out of that show. I lost count of how many sticks the drummer broke and chucked into the crowd.

Middle Kids opening for Cold War Kids prior to the VMP EP putting them on my radar

Colter Wall opening for Margo Price in a small club

Nilufer Yanya opening for Fleet Foxes last year. Was glad she got the VMP treatment

13. tvham

tvham Well-Known Member

I was recently going through my Ticketfly account, looking at past shows...evidently I saw The War on Drugs open for Sharon Van Etten in 2011 and have zero recollection of that happening.

mcherry, lee newman and Aron like this.
  14. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

Another surprising opener for me was the one for the Jason Isbell show I went to last year. Marie/Lepanto was the opener, and they blew me away. Again, I was kind of expecting a subdued acoustic performance, and they ended up playing a very spirited, full band set that leaned heavy into the Neil Young influence. Bought their album shortly after that show, and it wound up being one of my favorites from last year.

mcherry and lee newman like this.
  15. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

A local band called Midcentury was the middle act for Moving Panoramas album release show last night. I really liked their set. They have an 80's pop/rock vibe to their sound, down to the sax solos featured on certain songs. This is an in-studio clip from about a year ago. The girl who plays sax doesn't appear to be there for this performance. The guys apparently brought out every 80's article of clothing they could seemingly find for this performance. The lead singer may look super douchey in this clip with his man-bun and Members Only jacket combo, but he's actually got a great voice that works well with this overall sound. Last night he was sporting more of a Crockett from Miami Vice look. They wrapped their soundcheck with an incomplete version of Sade's 'Smooth Operator'. It sounded fantastic...I wish they had finished playing it.

mcherry likes this.
  16. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

Oh my, I’m having a hard time getting past that dude’s look. Your description nails it. And the Guess sweatshirt of the keyboardist is a bit much, lol. But good sound.

Aron likes this.
  17. Aron

Aron Well-Known Member

Yeah, last night they looked 80's, but a bit more suave. No man bun for the lead singer...think it had been cut some. Reminded me of the hairstyle the lead singer from Wang Chung had in their glory days. They sounded really good though. Some funky yacht rock beats, really good vocals, synths, sax solos. They threw in a very nice cover of Fleetwood Mac's 'Dreams' too.