PrimaLuna Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Slimwhit, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Jay Edgar

Jay Edgar Member

@AnthonyI

Tubes cost me a lot, but the enjoyment I get from them surpasses everything else I have ever owned. I collected pieces that are now my main system. Each piece brought a new level of musical enjoyment. Like I asked GSteph, what are you looking for in your sound system?

JoeMac7 and AnthonyI like this.
  2. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

My problem is that I've demoed the PLs and know what it brings to the table, lol. If I were made to stay put with what I have, I would have no problem with it at all. But as you mentioned, you kind of get that itch for the best "End Game" system you can afford. That's kind of where I am, the only piece I would consider "Upgrading" at this point is my amp. And I think I'm in that part of the pool where you need to paddle out to the deep end to see a meaningful difference in sound quality (which is why I went and demoed the PL).

So we're in the saving cycle at the moment and enjoying the music. We'll see what time brings along :)

JoeMac7 likes this.
  3. Jay Edgar

Jay Edgar Member

You have the right attitude my friend. You can jump in right now, only to be wanting later. Just don't let the quest become an obsession like mine did. You do not want to know how much $ I have spent to get here.

4. GStephenH

GStephenH Well-Known Member

Thankfully (in some ways) I am good for now. I live in an apartment so use headphones for all my music listening (paper walls do not make for good listening through normal speakers). While the HP has a headphone amp, I wouldn't spend $4300 for just that. In a few years I hope to be in a home where I can begin to really explore amp/speaker combos. I was just hoping PL would still be doing it's thing when it was time to really explore.

JoeMac7 likes this.
  5. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

I wouldn't give up hope so quickly, I think we're jumping to some conclusions here. It's not like we have confirmation they are shutting their doors. Plus quality analog gear is not obsolete after 3-5 years. The used market will keep these around for some time if they did suddenly drop off. And we're still only talking about integrates. Maybe PL is dropping integrated units because they are about to drop some industry shaking separates, hitting new quality/price point balance with pre/stereo combos. It could actually be amazing.

Another thing I've learned is follow the lead designers when big swings happen. If PL did throw in the towel, it's likely whomever picks up their lead designer(s) will parade their history with PL as a selling point. But I don't think we need to start thinking about that based on this info so far.

wooha, Nathaniel D., AnthonyI and 2 others like this.
  6. GStephenH

GStephenH Well-Known Member

Fine. I'll stop walking around in sackcloth and ashes.

7. Jay Edgar

Jay Edgar Member

I do not think PL is going away. If anything, they are ramping up!

8. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

So I think I might have caused a bit of controversy....

@AnthonyI I’m not 100% sure that that’s even the case. The U.K. probably has more high end hifi manufactures full stop, never mind per head populace. It may well be that the integrated aren’t selling that well here in comparison to the locals.

Also my dealer clear did not like the PrimaLuna sound. His argument was that Lunas are too forward for tubes, the quad are warm and the icon’s sit in the middle. There is no coincidence that those two are English.

Also even if the worst case scenario, the integrated are gone, provided you have efficient speakers why not drop from the hp to the standard dialogue premium or even the Prologue Premium and get a pre like the PS I’m getting with loads of inputs and it’s probably not that much more.

Best case scenario, we have tonnes of local choice here and as a result the Luna isn’t selling so the integrated have been pulled and the power are left for a niche market, doesn’t affect you at all in the US.

Either way I’m happy with my outcome, sounds like I’ve got a really awesome system on the way. @HiFi Guy do you think I’ve gone in the right direction?

9. JoeMac7

Cheers, this guy knows me well, I’ve been the worst customer possible since the Luna was out of stock, chatting daily for a fortnight, plus I’ve bought from him before. PS is solid state pre, that’s more for connectivity, the Quads are about as valvey as a valve power amp can be lol!

AnthonyI and displayname like this.
  10. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

I just spoke with Upscale Audio- they are the North American distributor for PrimaLuna.

There is absolutely no truth to what @JoeMac7 is being told. Nothing is being discontinued at this time and no new product is on the horizon.

As far as sound signature, the stock PL input tubes are somewhat forward. Replace them with inexpensive Electroharmonix tubes and the DiaLogue HP is slightly on the warm side of neutral.

I think this is a case of the dealer trying to sell in stock items.

There is nothing wrong with what @JoeMac7 is getting. It is however missing everything that makes PrimaLuna special.

11. JoeMac7

That’s fair enough! I was kinda of disbelieving myself, my instinct was that they weren’t doing so well here and the distributor was stopping bringing them into the U.K. rather than them pulling out. They seem too popular over there for that, i did try to put across an air of suspicion but not so easy in the written word lol.

I’m happy with what I’ve gone for though, it sounds like I have a nice package on the way even if it had a different profile and different strengths\weaknesses in comparison to the PL.

At worst I got you all excited for a few hours ;)

12. Jay Edgar

Jay Edgar Member

@HiFi Guy

Yep. PL is not going away. And, as I have mentioned before, dealers will push there house brands. But if Joe likes the way he is going, then run with it :)

AnthonyI, HiFi Guy and displayname like this.
  13. JoeMac7

I’m going to be honest I have an exceptional relationship with this dealer and he has in the past gone out of his way to help me with my tt when I was a complete noob who was cocking up rather thsn there actually being an issue with it. Also he talked me out of more expensive pre/power/integrated options to go for what i did.

I actually believe that he prefers the Quad to the PL, benefits of the autobias and bad tube indicator not withstanding. I also completely get, and believe, because he is the man, @HiFi Guy saying that it’s the tubes not the amp. Also not complete noob, called two other U.K. dealers who couldn’t get it for me and mine has pulled them from their site, they didn’t do that just for a sale to me lol! Plus I’m happy to get a power amp that it is listed at £3000 with my dealer, and £3500 with most other U.K. dealers, for £2500 and the fact that he is changing the tubes for me gives me more confidence again.

This hobby has many different flavours and whilst I would have liked to give the PL a go I don’t think that, by the sounds of it, I’m losing out sound wise with what I’ve gone for lol.

displayname and GStephenH like this.
  14. Jay Edgar

Jay Edgar Member

@JoeMac7

It sounds like your dealer is a good guy. I was not stating he wasn't. Also, don't think that the route your taking is bad. Like I have said, sound (music) is subjective. Whatever your ears find to be the "sweet spot", then run with it! ;)

I have been on the quest for a LOOOONG time. Trial and error from the past. Doing MOUNTAINS of research and finally coming up with the right combo for me. But that is me. What you hear and what I hear will be different. If it wasn't, then there would only be 1 type of sound system. That's the beauty of it. btw, changing out my rectifiers now. Going with the 5AR4GSYS. I will see how they perform. A little opening up on the sound stage couldn't hurt.

JoeMac7 likes this.
  15. JoeMac7

Completely! I’m in an unfortunate position where the I’m in a small country where we have good dealers but with limited selection so if you want to go outside of the “big” or “known” companies you have to buy from the bigger market next door. When doing that there has to be an element of trust and relationship.

There is part of me that would still have liked the PL and I’m going to live vicariously through you all in this thread, but I am not in any way unhappy in what I went for nor do I think I was unduly pushed there by my dealer, I’m looking forward to it landing, he said he should have the new tubes and ps audio in a fortnight so I should have it here within 3 weeks!

Also, on the positive I’ll have a unique post in the let’s see what makes your vinyl spin thread haha! :)

GStephenH, Kris and SnowmaNick like this.
  16. AnthonyI

Oh, I wasn't taking it as gospel, just having conversation. :)

JoeMac7 likes this.
  17. JoeMac7

I know I just spent the evening in the pub and got onto the tram home, checked my phone and saw the slew of debate and thought “oh dear Joe, what have you done now” lmao!

displayname and AnthonyI like this.
  18. AnthonyI

Your such a shite disturber, lol

JoeMac7 likes this.
  19. JoeMac7

I’ll take that as a compliment, shite needs to disturbed from time to time to make everyone be sure that they know what they know.

At least that’s what I tell myself, I am a qualified barrister after all...

GStephenH and AnthonyI like this.
  20. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

But do you get a cool wig? ;)

AnthonyI and JoeMac7 like this.