Product I Love: Sleeve City Edition

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 6od, Dec 19, 2016.

1. 6od

6od Well-Known Member

Was gonna post this in the Products We Love thread because that's how I wrote it but because it's "hella long" here it is.

These are the sleeves I have from Sleeve City. If anyone has any questions about any of them, I am a total weirdo and love discussing weird shit like this. Most of these I purchased as samples. I've noticed over the past year or so, their prices for samples have increased. So where they used to be like $0.25 they're now $1. For some things it's just as cost effective to buy a pack, especially if you want to try out 5 of them and a full pack is $10. SORRY IT IS IN 3 PARTS BECAUSE I WAS FOREVER OVER THE 10000 CHARACTER LIMIT

UPDATED: May 15, 2017

- added some more details for each category and bolded for those who just want to skim and get to the point cause I know I write a lot, but I'm fuckin' thorough so deal with it :)

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  2. 6od

6od Well-Known Member

OUTER SLEEVES

I've never used their Budget 3.0 outers. They came out after I'd already began using the 2.5s and 5.0s, so aside from them, I can say all Sleeve City sleeves are crystal clear, and none of mine have fogged. I knew someone who'd been collecting them for much longer, and exclusively uses Sleeve City sleeves - and even after 3 moves - they were still in great condition - no fogging. That said, if you put a dirty jacket in their sleeves, expect to see that dirt rub off on the inside of the jacket. They're not magical jacket cleaning sleeves. But they're the next best thing.
    • BEST (heavy dutyish) – Ultimate Outer 5.0
      YES. They fit albums beautifully, without leaving weird excess or uneven top. There is a small lip at the top (as with all outer sleeves), but that's necessary and helps keep debris out. Fits every non-box set album I have, with the exception of Paul's Boutique (for that, there's the Deluxe Oversized sleeve, below). Otherwise, I have numerous 2/3xLPs that fit in these. They are SO STURDY. When you go to play a record, and you take the jacket off you can LEAN IT AGAINST SOMETHING AND IT DOESNT J DOWN OR FOLD OVER ITSELF.
      ALSO - if you ever find yourself moving or relocating groups of records (like deciding you want to organize by genre, autobiographically, etc), you can grab a large amount of records and easily move them. In my experience, when doing this with the 2.5s, many of the ones in the middle would slide down immediately (like almost falling to the floor), meaning I could only grab like one small handful at a time. I realize this is a very specific "problem" that many people will never have, but if you've ever moved once or twice - or had to transfer your collection to another storage area - you'll start to appreciate how the 5.0s don't slide down. ONLY downside: seam blur/glare. I can provide photos if this sounds weird. But to me, it's not really that noticeable especially since its mostly from a distance. If I know what I am looking for I have no problem finding it, and I've found that over time, the seam fold eases up and isn't as obtrusive - but I understand how this can be an issue for some.

• FINALLY – Deluxe Oversized Ultimate Outer 5.0
      Literally the only sleeve that fits my copy of Paul's Boutique (it's like they design sleeves just for Beastie Boys albums). It was without a sleeve for 2 years and it drove me crazy. It's such a small size difference between this and the Ultimate 5.0 - but significant enough that this album doesn't feel like it's suffocating and isn't difficult to remove. Also great for albums that are maybe suffocating in regular sleeves (ahem, White Album).
      I got a sample at first, and then caved and bought a pack. Hopefully won't need to get another one for at least a few years, as the 5.0s and 2.5s don't have trouble with most 2 & 3xLPs.

• 2nd (& cheaper) BEST – Ultimate Outer 2.5
      Disclaimer - If you've never bought the 5.0s, stick with these and your bank account will thank you and you'll never feel you're lacking anything in terms of a sleeve. It's crystal clear, doesn't fog or yellow, and I've never seen one split or start to wear - even after moving about 1500 LPs not once, but TWICE. So yes, they're awesome and very affordable. In fact, I've started purchasing them again, and use them for a lot of my bargain bin records that I somehow keep accumulating - because this hobby really starts to add up. Dimensionally the same as the 5.0.
      While I find these less sturdy and more slippery than the 5.0s, the ONE area where the 2.5s beat out the 5.0s: the spines on very narrow sleeves are easier to read in the 2.5s, because there is no seam blur & almost no light glare with these, compared to the 5.0s. Like they're practically invisible.

• Sealed! – Resealable 3 mil Outer LP Sleeves
      Note: The adhesive is on the outer part of the sleeve — NOT ON THE FLAP. Rejoice. The reusability factor of the seal is great, and has held up very well on albums I play frequently. As crystal clear as other sleeves. Initially I didn't think much of these, and considered them to be a hassle, but they serve a purpose - that purpose being for when you have dogs/animals, and some of your gatefolds/double albums are stored closer to the ground. This keeps dust and debris from falling in-between gatefolds. I'm thinking of transitioning all my gatefolds to these. They feel as good as the 2.5s if not a bit better - still not nearly as sturdy as the 5.0s.
      I used to use these to make 10'' record sleeves, by cutting one side open, and folding the sleeves over to size, so that the original opening was now a sealed side, and the side I cut open was the "top" - then Sleeve City started making 10'' outers and I stopped. My point is these are helpful if your OCD & crafty enough. I recommend buying a sample first.

• BOX SETS – Ultimate Outer Boxed Set
      PHOTOS & MORE IN DEPTH BOX SET SHIT HERE: #248
      & ALSO HERE: #249

This is NOT for very large box sets. Like my David Bowie box set is never going to fit in here because it's got like 10 LPs. Max is probably 4xLP, MAYBE 5 but it really depends on the style of the set. But it fits Beastie Boys' Check Your Head box set PERFECTLY — as if that was the standard they used when making these sleeves. I also have Okkervil River's Black Sheep Boy, Atmosphere's You Can't Imagine..., George Harrison's All Thing Must Pass, and Panda Bear's Tomboy all in these sleeves, however they were baggy, so I altered them with a blade, straight edge & acid-free scrapbooking tape (it's crystal clear). They are also a bit tall for some things depending on the width I guess, so I generally trim the excess with a blade.
    • 10-inch – Ultimate 10 Inch Polypro Outer Record Sleeve
      FINALLY A 10'' SLEEVE. I only have about 5 of them but I opted to buy a full pack because it was more cost effective than buying samples. I have a few 10" from the 50s that these were too tall for, so I trimmed them. Newer 10''s fit perfectly.

• 7-inch – Ultimate 7 Inch Polypro Outer Record Sleeve
      Flimsyish, but in my opinion, that's fine for 45s. I don't have a ton, so mine are in a small box and this suits my needs. If I had a larger collection, I'd want them to be thicker. If you want something sturdy, you'll need to use jackets with these. Otherwise, for the price this is great. And like all Sleeve City outers, they stay crystal clear.

I know this thread went way off topic, but I will happily show photos or take measurements of any if anyone has questions about any of these. Things like this matter to me, and I like being able to help people find good shit.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  3. 6od

6od Well-Known Member

INNER SLEEVES

If you're like me, you replace all your sleeves with new ones (obviously saving any customized sleeves with the album because duh)(generic paper sleeves can go to hell). There is no general thing I can say about Sleeve City inner sleeves overall because they're all vastly different. But they sell the best ones which are listed here first...
    • *BEST* – Diskeeper™ Ultimate Audiophile Inner Sleeve
      An inner sleeve dream come true. FULLY POLYLINED PAPER WITH DIECUTS (center circles) ON BOTH SIDES OF THE SLEEVE. This is important because that way you can read the labels on BOTH SIDES. The fit is GREAT. And as I said above, this fits in pretty much every record jacket. If I find one that it doesn't fit in, I'll let you know. The tops are even, and the opening is narrow enough that your thickest LPs will fit in smoothly while not allowing in any free flowing debris. Which I can't say for the other single LP inners on this list. ALSO - I have never had static issues with these sleeves, but I have with the MoFi & regular Audiophile sleeves mentioned below. But these? Nope! They're more anti-static than the ones which are designed to be anti-static.
      Now, the main reason these are the best: these are the only TRULY FULLY LINED poly sleeve. A lot of people consider the polylined-paper sleeves (paper on the outside, poly on the inside) to somehow be "fully lined". No. They're not. Records still rip through the sides of those, as they're not lined on the sides or bottom of the inside of the sleeves. If you've ever worked in an office and had to deal with enough paper jams (most often due to paper dust on the rollers) then you should understand that paper against paper (in this case inner sleeve against jacket) creates paper dust. Which then just goes INTO the sleeve, next to your record. **This doesn't happen with these Ultimate Audiophile sleeves.**

• For 2xLPs in a single jacket – Diskeeper™ Double Audiophile Inner Sleeves
      This is basically a double sided regular Audiophile sleeve (below), so it has a pocket on each side. You know how sometimes 2xLPs come in a jacket WITH NO GATEFOLD? Or worse, a 2xLP gatefold with only ONE pocket (WHY!???)... well that's where these come in.
      The flappy pocket problem that I have with the regular Audiophile Inner sleeves (below) is eliminated when you have two LPs in the sleeve. They truly save space, and you'll notice a pretty significant difference between an overloaded jacket with separate sleeves, as opposed to using one of these. I purchased a full pack 2 years ago and I still have about 6 or so left, so it's not a bad investment (I'm at nearly 600 albums now).

• Meh – Diskeeper™ Audiophile Inner Sleeves
      If you're fine only seeing one side of a record, and don't care to see the other side at all, don't mind saggy openings (ew) & aren't at all concerned with static - this is the sleeve for you!! Not all that sturdy, and I find the side without paper to be flappy like a loose pocket you kept something bulky in for too long, and now it will never return to its original shape - except that is its original shape. It's only got paper on one side, so it's not the most durable, and if the jacket your putting it in isn't forgiving, then they'll tend to bunch, and you'll scream.

• Identical Meh – Mobile Fidelity “MoFi” Master Sleeves
      Practically IDENTICAL to the Diskeeper Audiophile sleeves, but they cost $1 more. If anything I think maybe these crinkle more and are more likely to bunch up in tight jackets. I've also found them to be more staticy than the Diskeeper ones at times, but not consistently so. Also, they say MoFi on it instead of Diskeeper. Otherwise all the same problems apply.

• PARTIALLY-lined – Polylined Paper Record Sleeves
      So close but SO FAR.... Still paper shard city. I will say that whatever paper is used with these is sturdy as hell. But the polylining inside only extends so high, and not high enough to protect the record from paper. Every time you remove or insert an album, you risk it grating the edge of the paper, and when you put the sleeve into the record jacket. That's a lot of paper on paper action creating a lot of fine paper dust that I don't have time for. To be fair to Sleeve City, I've never found any sleeve in this style to do any better - EXCEPT for the black polylined sleeves that come with Late Night Tales albums. But you can't buy those.
      As for other sleeves in this style, but ones that weren't (as far as I know) made by Sleeve City, there's another issue. How many times have you received a record that was like this?:
      IMG_7835.jpg
      Guess what doesn't happen with the Ultimate Audiophile sleeves? That. It's literally .20 cents cheaper than the Ultimates so WHY.

• Diskeeper™ 2.0 Antistatic Record Sleeves
      No. They're not.

• Diskeeper™ 1.5 Round Bottom LP Sleeve
      I thought they'd be useful for really old small jackets but no. They are too tall. You could trim them but I haven't bothered yet. You can't always control how much the disk rotates when inserting into a small sleeve, and it crinkles (although not as bad as the square shaped 2.0 Antistatic sleeves - but still). I thought maybe they could fit in the Simple Paper outers but it was a bulky mess. I only use them for records that need a deeper cleaning than I was able to give them at the time. It's my marking system for "don't play this until you're able to remove whatever the hell is on tracks 1-2 of side B." Useful to that extent.

• Diskeeper™ Simple Paper Record Sleeves
      Paper shard city. The same type of sleeve that generically/annoyingly comes with most new LPs. I can't believe I used to think it was a good idea to use these.
    I will happily show photos or take measurements of any if anyone has questions about any of these. Things like this matter to me, and I like being able to help people find good shit.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  4. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

Forum gold. Thanks @6od !

SonOfJames, NathanRicaud, 6od and 3 others like this.
  5. Gatorjim

Gatorjim Well-Known Member

Thanks for this.

I order from Sleeve City from time to time and even though I've had just about everything they make, I still get a bit confused. Chalk it up to my oldishness. That and the fact that sometimes I get them on Amazon and there might be a different label on them.

And, it's amazing how much money you start sinking into these things as your record collection keeps growing.

Anyway, thanks.

6. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

I'm using the Mofi Fidelity Master Sleeves, and they work great, except they're buggin' me a bit with how much they bunch up when inserting in the record sleeve. It affects NOTHING, but you know... :)

I'll buy the Diskeeper ones just to see if they're better in that regard when I need to restock. Thanks for the reco!

LeftOfSound likes this.
  7. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

Store outside of the cardboard sleeve with both inside the plastic inner! Life changing!!!

Gatorjim and JoeC like this.
  8. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

You damn rabble-rouser with your new-fangled ideas!

I think I need a picture of your collection now to see what this looks like in action! Don't make me search the "Show Us Your Collection" thread! :D

Gatorjim, blujay and 6od like this.
  9. Gatorjim

I think @blujay means that you store the jacket in an outer cover, the record in an inner sleeve but outside of the jacket (between the jacket and the outer). Makes it super easy to grab the record without removing the jacket from the outer cover.

Make sense?

blujay likes this.
  10. 6od

6od Well-Known Member

Wait... WHAT? I don't understand the logistics of this and require photo documentation.

lee newman and JoeC like this.
  11. 6od

6od Well-Known Member

Then the record is exposed to whatever may fall from above. Do you people not have dust? Am I still not understanding this correctly?

12. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

It really doesn't look all that different on the shelf, but it makes all the difference when I can just slide out the record without having to take the cardboard sleeve out of the sleeve city outer.

JoeC and Gatorjim like this.
  13. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

Yeah, I get what he means. It took me a second, but I got it. :) I'd still like to see what it looks like in practice. If I'm gonna do something life-changing, I want visual proof it's gonna look good!

Gatorjim likes this.
  14. Gatorjim

Store the record sideways, so that the opening is not up.

lee newman, mcherry and blujay like this.
  15. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

I load the Mofi sleeve sideways. Pictures in a sec.

JoeC likes this.
  16. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

Exactly! Pics or it didn't happen, @blujay!

17. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

Thanks! You always have my back. Lets have a drink!

18. Gatorjim

Feel like Islay tonight?

blujay likes this.
  19. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

For peat's sake!!! Yes!

20. 6od

6od Well-Known Member

Okay, I understand. I am too OCD to do this though. My LP inners are pure and virgin compared to by jacket outers. I live in a high static dust-filled environment with 3 dogs. I vacuum constantly. I even put LEGS on my expedit because hell hath no free flowing dust and debris like that which circulates my floors.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016