Queen - A Night at the Opera (Nov '18 Essentials ROTM)

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by mcherry, Oct 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dbarila

dbarila Well-Known Member

Where exactly in Side B do people have issues?

2. MattHasIdeas

MattHasIdeas Well-Known Member

Welp. Guess I just got a bad one. I'll e-mail CS.

3. avantgardener

avantgardener Well-Known Member

Any other chicagoains having their record stuck in limbo since the 9th? I’m chalking it up to slower delivery time since it’s around the holidays but beginning to grow some concern. And besides I got my other record package before this one so not sure what’s going on.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    displayname likes this.
  4. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

I compared my 2008 press of A Night at the Opera to the new VMP version. Figured I'd share a quick comparison.
    [​IMG]

2008: https://www.discogs.com/Queen-A-Night-At-The-Opera/release/2170885
    VMP: https://www.discogs.com/Queen-A-Night-At-The-Opera/release/12767464

VMP's jacket clearly has some more flash with the new foil stamp on the cover. My older version has a matte cover with a semi heavy texture that I really like as well. The VMP version also has the insert, while the older version does not.
    Both copies are 180g, VMP obviously colored, older version is black.

My physical VMP pressing is a little better. Less surface noise, flatter, more centered. Nothing is really wrong with the '08 version, and neither are 100% perfect. But VMP edges out here.

The master is the real difference, and honestly the reason I'm keeping both copies. I was expecting to only keep one, but I think it's actually fun to have a solid example of how a master can change an album.

I can sum it up pretty quickly. The VMP version is higher resolution, but slightly less enjoyable for my preference. It feels almost artificial throughout a lot of the album. On the older version things might not have been as crystal clear and transparent, but it has a much more natural feel. The remaster also has stronger bass. Not a bad thing there. I think all the vocals and instrumentals are just a little more in your face on the remaster. It's more of the "on the stage" sound rather than sitting in the audience, which is more of the soundstage and sound of the older master.

All in all, pretty good. Both serve their purpose, and offer a fairly different experience.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  5. MattHasIdeas

The entire thing has terrible surface noise throughout. On the softer segments (see a capella canon from 'The Prophet's Song'), it is ridiculous.

6. dbarila

dbarila Well-Known Member

Ok, then mine must be OK because The Prophet's Song is the one I've listened to most and haven't noticed anything. I kind of zoned out during Bohemian Rhapsody since I've heard it so many times so I wasn't sure if it was something specifically on that track. Bummer that people are having problems.

7. MattHasIdeas

Video for you guys. (Yes, I know - Speaker on same surface as TT. Dust cover is up. I just recorded this quick to show you and VMP what I'm dealing with here. It's egregious.)

This was after I cleaned with my tried and true -- TTVJ VinylZyme and Squeaky Clean RCM.

8. kvetcha

kvetcha Well-Known Member

Yep, mine's exactly the same.

9. jaylark

jaylark New Member

Yes, mine has been in transit to the next facility since the 9th. Frustrating as I've seen three copies arrive at the office for people that get them delivered there.

NathanRicaud likes this.
  10. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

I had to request a replacement due to a bad seam split on the jacket but I listened to it today and I have none of the noise issues some have had. In fact, this sounds spectacular front to back. I love it!

JonnyH, AnthonyI, Mather and 6 others like this.
  11. wgb113

wgb113 Well-Known Member

Yikes! I'm giving my copy to my brother as a Christmas gift and ordered a copy for myself from the store to ship in January. Hope neither of us have the issue!

12. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Wow it punched right through the jacket?? That's a thick jacket holy cow...

13. panino

panino Well-Known Member

Dad joke

Darin Star Boogie and Mather like this.
  14. mdmost

mdmost Well-Known Member

Better place for this than the delay thread. The Prophet Song, holy shit. That sounded great.

15. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

Paste features limited and other noteworthy albums and had this to say:

Queen – A Night At The Opera (Vinyl Me Please)

This reissue, as you may have surmised, was timed to coincide with the release of the hugely successful Queen biopic. It is the record that has “Bohemian Rhapsody” on it, after all. It’s also a testament to the power of this vinyl subscription service in the market that they were able to land such a blue chip release. We just wish they’d chosen a better Queen album to put their weight behind. The reasoning for this reissue is sound, and true to form, it looks and sounds great. But this isn’t one of the band’s best full-lengths. The highs, like the hella sexy “I’m In Love With My Car” and the insta-classic “You’re My Best Friend,” go far into the stratosphere. The lows skid across the earth, bloodied and muddied and broken. Queen was starting to realize their ambitions; the songwriting just wasn’t all the way there yet, and arguably wouldn’t be until 1977’s News Of The World. No matter your feelings on it, this is a great piece to have in anyone’s rock record collection.

16. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

The only thing I'll disagree with :)

17. doncornelius

doncornelius Well-Known Member

Is this coming back? I swapped out of it when the printing problem first surfaced. I was planning to get it later, but I now wonder whether I will have a chance.

18. Nathaniel D.

Nathaniel D. Well-Known Member

Unclear. Welcome to the mixed signals & lack of communication that is VMP.

19. siremobunny

siremobunny Well-Known Member

Good analysis, but I thought VMP used the 2008 master for their release, but made new plates?

AnthonyI and displayname like this.
  20. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

2011 was the half speed remaster

AnthonyI likes this.