Queen Print Error & Delay *Official Thread*

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by cjschaefer, Nov 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mdmost

mdmost Well-Known Member

My copy finally arrived at my house in Dallas, all the while stuck in Dallas, on the day after Christmas. Been too sick to give a spin yet.

2. mdmost

mdmost Well-Known Member

The Prophet's Song...holy shit

Selaws, Sanders, MadLucas and 6 others like this.
  3. Radiodead

Radiodead Well-Known Member

So this is semi relevant. I’m not too upset about it because overall the customer support I’ve received over the last weeks has been outstanding.

My one minor issue is that VMP wouldn’t replace my misprinted Tha Carter III Jacket. I received a credit, which I thought was fair. Just couldn’t help but wonder why this Queen cluster was such a huge deal but yet a similar misprint on Tha Carter III wasn’t a big deal at all. Obviously not to the same scale, just a little odd.

Cloud, Bluecloud777, JonnyH and 3 others like this.
  4. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

Queen affected all of them so they had every sleeve reprinted, TCIII seems to be a small number of affect sleeves and they may not have enough to send replacements (it was expected to sell out)

5. Radiodead

Radiodead Well-Known Member

For sure. Seems reasonable.

Cloud and Darin Star Boogie like this.
  6. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

I guess Creed's working at the plant that prints VMP sleeves now!

zuwash1ydoq11.jpg

7. eatdogs

eatdogs Well-Known Member

haha I always crack up at this because he says he blew the WHOLE YEAR off lolz. Mr. William Charles Snyder.

8. haydee

haydee Well-Known Member

QUABBITY ASSUANCE

9. MattHasIdeas

MattHasIdeas Well-Known Member

My Queen replacement is supposed to arrive with my February ROTM. Along with Carter II, and both Jonny Greenwood records. Hope I actually receive something in January.

10. MattHasIdeas

MattHasIdeas Well-Known Member

Got my replacement Queen copy. Sounds better than the first one. Although, I thought I was going insane. This album just has a naturally high noise floor. I had to turn off the record and play the digital copy. If you listen to Prophet's Song (even in FLAC format), you'll hear a decent amount of background hiss during silent segments. This is the 2011 remastered digital versions I was comparing this pressing to.

I looked a little more into this and it makes a lot of sense. Queen would have had to do so much overdubbing on a lot of these tracks, that it is expected that there are some tape flaws which can cause hissing, feedback, or static in some of the channels.

EDIT -- Nope. I spoke way too soon. By the time I got to "Love of my Life" and "Bohemian Rhapsody", there is no way I can attribute this to original tape degradation

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  11. Murfocakes

Murfocakes Well-Known Member

I have the black vinyl of the same pressing. It doesn’t have that hiss.

12. Vizsla14

Vizsla14 Well-Known Member

I finally got to listening to the complete album this weekend and had the same noise issues. I didn't notice it much on side 1 when I first got the album, but i played side 2 this weekend and it was a mess. I'm fairly certain its the splatter because the worst sections happened to be where the splatter pattern changed. Inner tracks were the worst.

Overall noise was very evident on headphones, throughout the disc. I noticed the same problem with Feist, too. It sounded great on first play through speakers, but I started to notice the noise. Putting in headphones, it was pretty bad overall. Inside tracks on Feist were trashed on my first copy of fiest as well. My second copy was better but still has a fair amount of background noise throughout. I'd be curious to know if they were pressed at the same plant because the noise and issues with inner tracks are quite similar.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  13. Murfocakes

Murfocakes Well-Known Member

My experience with these two releases as well.

14. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

That's all GZ my friend. They are consistently one of the most inconsistent pressing plants out there. When they're good they're good, but they're more often than not pretty damn bad in terms of QC. But they can pump out 30,000 pressings per month so they fit VMPs needs. They are one of the biggest reasons why VMPs monthly vinyl output is so unreliable.

Cloud, turbo, displayname and 5 others like this.
  15. Bluecloud777

Bluecloud777 Well-Known Member

That's some interesting background knowledge. This explains my inner feeling that often exclusives which are pressed in lower numbers sound better than some of the ROTMs.

16. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

This is funny I hadn't seen this yet and I JUST left a comment on the other Queen page and I surmised the exact same thing, the lower runs seem to on the whole be less warped and with fewer pressing issues. Makes sense I suppose.

17. Bluecloud777

I assume they're also under a stronger time pressure when it comes to ROTMs as there'll be deadlines when the record needs to be ready as all members who haven't swapped wait for that record to be shipped in that exact month while it's not that bad companywise when a 500 items run of an exclusive is delayed for a month.

18. Bluecloud777

Received my Queen record as part of my January package today (just had ordered it end of the year) and it's really a very nice package. It looks great colorwise and the sleeve is very deluxe including the lyrics on the inner sides. My record also had just minimal noise on it, which rather was towards the end of Side A for me, but wasn't disturbing a lot. If you get a good copy, it's really a very well done package.

Cloud, turbo, Wicked Dreamer and 2 others like this.
  19. Cloud

Cloud Well-Known Member

I want this album so bad, but I missed out.

Darin Star Boogie and turbo like this.
  20. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

There are probably copies in reserve for replacements, so it will likely show up again if you're patient.