Rank the 2018 ROTMs!!!

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by Zeze the X, Dec 8, 2018.

1. panino

panino Well-Known Member

i waited until the last minute for Mavis, and wasn't disappointed.

1. Mavis Staples - Mavis Staples – I only received this a couple of days ago (USP Christmas delivery mayhem), but I foresee this album staying by the turntable for a long way to come. The package is OK (no liner notes, boo), but it sounds fantastic.

2. Feist - Let it Die – Feist lived on a forgotten part of my mind for a long time, having her album and finally playing it brought it all back and it’s so soothing and smooth. A real pleasure.

3. Moby - Play – I never invested time in exploring Moby’s music in detail, nonetheless this album changed my predisposition. It sounds great and it’s fun.

4. Mitski - Be The Cowboy – I was totally unaware of Mitski and trusted VMP on this. It was not disappointing, and it will likely become a milestone in the career of this artist.

5. Townes Van Zandt - For the Sake Of the Song – No previous exposure to Country music (I’m Italian after all) and lots of scepticism. But I let go and listened to this. It was a pleasant surprise and a good evening record to play.

6. TV On The Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain - Sonically probably the most impactful of the ROTM released in 2018. Not exactly something I put on my plate regularly, since it requires attention. Definitely NOT background music.

7. Ayalew Mesfin - Hasabe - unexpected discovery and a welcome insight on world music. It opened for me to explore new sounds and sonorities. It doesn’t get played often, as the family doesn’t like (or appreciate) the sound of Ethiopian guitars.

8. Silvertones - Silver Bullets - Reggae yeah. Maybe a bit too obscure but overall fun. Nice to have some diversity on my shelfs.

9. Beach House - Devotion – never really interested in the genre, nonetheless had to get it for the most impressive package produced in the year.

10. Clipse - Lord Willin’ – great sounds but definitely outside of my interest. The language is unappealing and it sits unspinned for a while. Definitely not my cup of tea. De La Soul on the other hand, was a winner (RHH)

11. Queen - A Night at the Opera - I’ve rarely been so disappointed by an album. I generally was uninterested in Queen’s production nonetheless I decided to give it a go. Unfortunately I truly dislike this one and, for the first time, I am plainning to get rid of it.

12. N/a Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not – swapped this, since I had no interest in AM.

2. haydee

haydee Well-Known Member

As someone who really loves this album and this pressing, I've read a lot of pretty heavy critiques of it on this forum, but for whatever reason this one just tickles me.

3. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

I know this isn’t what you want, but Mavis does have liner notes:
    http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/mavis-staples-liner-notes/

Darin Star Boogie and panino like this.
  4. Jkeech

Jkeech Well-Known Member

1.) Queen - A Night at the Opera
    Love Queen and love this album. The package was great and the record looked really cool.

2.) Beach House - Devotion
    I've never been a huge fan of Beach House but this record really changed my opinion. The package was top notch, the record turned out really cool, and it sounded fantastic.

3.) TV On The Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
    This was my first exposure to TOTR. Really enjoyed this record though and I'll definitely be returning to Cookie Mountain occasionally.

4.) Clipse - Lord Willin'
    Not my favorite rap album of all time, but still very good. It was cool to go back and listen to Pusha before Daytona came out.

5.) Mitski - Be The Cowboy
    Again, Mitski has never been one of my favorite artists but this was a really good album. Definitely enjoyed spinning this.

6.) Townes Van Zandt - For the Sake Of the Song
    I've been hoping for a solid country album for ROTM for awhile and this didn't disappoint. Hoping to spend more time with this album, as I've been pretty busy the last couple of months.

7.) Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
    I was not thrilled with this choice when it was announced, but overall I enjoyed it. I still don't see myself returning to it a lot, but overall I don't hate it.

8.) Mavis Staples - Mavis Staples
    As I said, I've been pretty busy so with more time this album might have moved up a bit.

9.) Moby - Play
    This was a pretty easy listen, but overall not really one that I loved. Again, I still enjoyed it though.

10.) Feist - Let it Die
    A lot of people were pretty pumped for this release but I still am not really digging it. Was kind of disappointed.

11.) Silvertones - Silver Bullets
    I really liked Super Ape, so I was looking forward to spinning this. It really didn't do much for me though and is pretty forgettable in my opinion.

12.) Ayalew Mesfin - Hasabe
    I think I'm pretty open-minded but this really didn't do it for me. It was an interesting listen and had a very intriguing backstory, but after the second listen I just couldn't take it anymore. I'm happy I stumbled across it and gave it a chance, but it's definitely not a record I would spend $30 on.

5. jbcalc

jbcalc Well-Known Member

Essentials (only got 6 this year, wanted to make sure I only bought records this year that I would play a bunch, so not a bad conversion rate with that considered):
    1. Feist - Let It Die: one of my favorite artists and I love her mix of happy and sad tunes across her albums, “Lonely Lonely” still slays me every time no matter how often I’ve heard it, plus the pressing is fantastic
    2. Townes Van Zandt - For the Sake of the Song: not necessarily ranked here based on order of “best” album, I was just surprised how much I ended up listening to it and continue to reach for this one over some of the others
    3. TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain: I was familiar with the album going in, but this pressing sounds phenomenal and really open my ears up to parts I was missing just listening digitally
    4. Mavis Staples - S/T: can’t argue with anything about this album, just more safe from my aspect because, like Nina the year before, this album would be hard for anyone to have anything negative to say about it
    5. Queen - A Night at the Opera: actually just swapped for this, so ranking is still in flux, just very excited basked on forum feedback
    6. Ayalew Mesfin - Hasabe: I won’t listen to this too often (more accurately my wife will ask why I own this every time I put it on), but I love the music and I appreciate it opening my palette to loving other world music that came down the pipeline later in the year (i.e. Mr. Bongo bundle)

Classics (only passed on 1 this year and I’m just going to rank these because I’m running out of steam on the blurbs :sick: and because it was difficult just trying to rank my favorites because the order changes each time I throw a new one on):
    1. James Booker
    2. Muddy Waters
    3. Koko Taylor
    4. Miles Davis & John Coltrane
    5. Lafayette Afro Rock Band
    6. Eddie Floyd
    7. William Bell
    8. Darrell Banks
    9. Donald Byrd
    10. The Lightmen Plus One
    11. Max Roach

R&HH (only grabbed De La Soul, Goodie Mob and Snoop Dogg, so cannot give a full ranking, but very happy with these 3)

True Exclusives Top 10 (I am trying to just rank pure reissue exclusives, not new album alternates otherwise Khruangbin would be high on this list, I apologize if some of these are not pure exclusives):
    1. Os Novos Baianos
    2. Frank Sinatra
    3. Gary Chandler
    4. Toots & the Maytals
    5. Shina Williams
    6. Lafayette Afro Rock Band
    7. Piero Umiliani
    8. Irma Thomas
    9. Ofege
    10. Charlie Rouse

All in all an excellent curation year, I found many instant essential albums between the 3 subs and the exclusives, thanks VMP!

Darin Star Boogie, cul8er and Siglet like this.
  6. lee newman

FYI, only Frank, Toots, LARB, Irma and Charlie are true sclusies.

7. jbcalc

jbcalc Well-Known Member

I already pre-apologized. If you think you’re getting another one, you are sorely mistaken.

Urbs_hott, haydee, lee newman and 2 others like this.
  8. lee newman

I was just providing information. You’re good.

jbcalc likes this.
  9. ericj32

ericj32 Well-Known Member

I love these lists - very helpful to see what people are enjoying over repeated spins across the year as a whole. It's also helped me find some of the non-ROTM exclusives which I think I just mentally blocked out and didn't want to explore because I was already overwhelmed with how many ROTMs I didn't have and needed to catch up on.

I've been streaming Denzel Curry's TA13OO recently and it's moving up to the top of my wishlist. But I don't see very high on many people's lists. Is there something I'm missing? Does anyone have it and really love it? Or are the other RHH albums just soooo much better that it's not that exciting in comparison? [I haven't listened to many of the RHH ROTMs yet]

Basically, I just want to have someone tell me - "it's ok, follow your heart on this one, you'll be really happy you did. Also, you're great." Or something like that.

Darin Star Boogie likes this.
  10. lee newman

it's ok, follow your heart on this one, you'll be really happy you did. Also, you're great.

11. GelloJive

GelloJive Well-Known Member

It’s at the top of my list, def one of my fave albums of the year. I’m not sure about it’s staying power but it’s been a lot of fun. I also have found friends I thought wouldn’t like it, actually like it a lot.

Saba is high on a lot of lists, but for me I just don’t enjoy listening to it. Makes resisting it a little harder but you gotta go with what you like!

12. 7yler

7yler Member

I'd love to be able to spin Saba but missed out on it. Any chance you would let it go from your collection? Frozen pun not intended

lee newman and Darin Star Boogie like this.
  13. GelloJive

GelloJive Well-Known Member

Never picked it up