Record Club Club November 23rd - Blackstar

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by AudioAce, Jul 12, 2018.

1. dbarila

dbarila Well-Known Member

I always heard theories that blackstar refers to a certain type of lesion associated with certain types of cancer so it was supposed to be a hint that he was sick.

2. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

3. DTKnuckles

DTKnuckles Well-Known Member

Yea Lee I read the same article. It mentions the blackstar lesions as well dbarila.

Ormen seems to be a village in Norway that has some spiritual connections as well, if I remembered correctly.

I have to say I love this album it is a beautiful way to think about death and mortality.

Listening to the title track today on my way in to work to today it really clicked with me. I read it as about how death made him shed all his previous identities and accept a new identity defined by his imminent death. Despite being such an exceptional person in many ways death unites him with all of humankind.

I also wonder why he chose to use the band. Anyone know more info about them? The free jazz aspect really led a sense of existential urgency, but not in a depressing way more of an exhilarating way.

4. Nathaniel D.

Nathaniel D. Well-Known Member

Love this album. Sold my copy a few months back, managed to get a decent gash and wasn't really playable, so hoping to pick it up again soon.

Lazarus is such a banger.

I'm not super well-versed in Bowie's discography, but I would put this one as my 2nd favorite behind Heathen. Probably comes from my love of heavier/darker/more dense music.

5. Count_Vader

Count_Vader Well-Known Member

I remember where I was when I first heard Lazarus. It was the day he died. I had just gotten Blackstar in the Mail about an hour after I heard he died. That song gives me goosebumps to this day.

6. Bull Shannon

Bull Shannon Well-Known Member

I adore this album. I remember waking up Monday morning, reading about his death, and biking into work with Girl Loves Me stuck in my head. "Where the sticky pudding did Monday go?" I listened to that album a lot right after his death; it felt like I was summoning him back for a little while, and it was almost comforting to hear how aware he was of his own impending end. I think it's an impressive ending to a fifty-year run.

These days it feels a bit rawer to hear, Lazarus is so heartbreaking.

7. ThePakoBuelna

ThePakoBuelna Well-Known Member

Hearing Blackstar today again. This is such a good album, hope in the future people will see it beyond "Bowie's last album" or remove Bowie's death from the equation and start admiring how well done, from art to music, this was.

Such a cohesive listen from start to finish.

8. DTKnuckles

DTKnuckles Well-Known Member

When’s the next album being posted...seems like we are on a bit of a break.

9. Murfocakes

Murfocakes Well-Known Member

One of the best albums ever made! Period.

10. TheGun

TheGun Well-Known Member

@AudioAce ? I was quite enjoying this thread, I'm still keen to continue too.

11. AudioAce

AudioAce Well-Known Member

This thread will continue. The Holidays, My sister coming in and me going to Alberta this Friday has been hindering me from updating this thread in a timely manner.

I have decided that it would be best to wait until the New Year to continue this.

I love this thread as well but I wanna make it much better. That means making the google doc better, More info on album picks and asking everyone for ratings and compiling them at the end of the week.

These are just a few ideas I have had but have not had time to get done. If you may all just have a little patience with me we will get this train rolling again soon. If you have any ideas i would like to hear them. If you just want the regular updates like before let me know as well. Once again I'm sorry that I've been flip flopping on my promise to update this thread every friday. But we will be back in business soon.

12. TheGun

TheGun Well-Known Member

I'm cool with waiting till New Year, I doubt I would contribute as much as usual between now and then anyway

Jeff Buckley is still missing from the past discussion list, so you could add that.

Just kidding, I think the current/past discussion links in the first post is a good format, and the info you post with each week too. I don't know if we have enough regular participants to fully satisfy these further ideas like ratings, as cool as that would be. Maybe like a 3 or 6 monthly survivor vote or something would be more simple and work better? I feel that given only a week to listen to an album I have no familiarity with, I wouldn't be able to produce a meaningful rating.

13. Count_Vader

14. dbarila

dbarila Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. Count_Vader

FLOOPY DOO

Nathaniel D. likes this.
  16. TheGun

TheGun Well-Known Member

While this thread is in limbo I guess I'll mention here that when I added The Money Store to the suggestions, I started an analysis of it. When it came up as album of the week I had a rough one sentence outline of most of the songs on it, which was helped along a little by the discussions here. The analysis cracked 5000 words yesterday and is finally starting to take its final shape, I think I can keep it below 10,000 words. I'm looking forward to getting it out there though lol

17. Darin Star Boogie

Darin Star Boogie Well-Known Member

Can we just collectively choose an album to occupy the dead time until it resumes again? Seems simple enough...?

18. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

Us do something collectively and make it simple? How long have you been around?

19. Count_Vader

Many a hand has scaled the grand ol' face of the plateau
    Some belong to strangers
    Some to folks you know

20. bohnjaggs

bohnjaggs Well-Known Member

Are you quoting Meat Puppets or the Nirvana version? ;)

lee newman and Darin Star Boogie like this.