Record Club Club Pt. 2 - Girls Against Boys - Cruise Yourself

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by bohnjaggs, Mar 20, 2019.

1. bohnjaggs

bohnjaggs Well-Known Member

Thanks, @Zakattak ... I'm looking forward to listening to this pick. Like @lee newman I'm not really familiar with this one, or the genre in general

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  2. ByersVinyl

ByersVinyl Well-Known Member

So im the first to listen eh.....

Yeah well I was about to put on Veedon Fleece and make two meals (FYI- Chicken Fajitas for tonight & Veggie Chilli for another time)

So this was a small change of gear :)
    First off good pick. Totally not in my wheelhouse and i suspect a fair few others on this forum thread. Good to get a thoroughly unheard of pick.
    So....

I like Nick Cave and theres a taste of him in amongst the album. Some great horns also.
    There is no way i could get a full on appreciation in one listen (who could) But ive heard enough to know there are those 2 or 3 tunes which welcome you (“forever”) Those tunes that for me are a comofort blanket whilst i get to know the album - generally ones that don’t become faves in the end. I also enjoyed “Abundant Living” for this reason even if it was short and snappy.
    I felt the band really meant what there playing too which i really want from an artist. Hey they also know how to end a tune dramatically (another trick i enjoy).
    If i was to be overly critical - if I had a teenage son on a couple of the tunes he would sound like this telling me I’d “ruined his life”.

I will listen again before i mark it and perhaps add to my first listen comments.
    A strong 7/10

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  3. dirty hands

dirty hands Well-Known Member

will definitely sit down with this later and chime in. I am very familiar with Iceage and was pretty thrown off when this record came out as it had kinda dropped the sound I loved from their previous albums. I need to give their newer effort a proper listen as well

4. Dead C

Dead C Well-Known Member

Thanks for choosing an album and providing all of this amazing context. I've admittedly, been sleeping on Ice Age for years, so I'm hoping that I can get time to listen to this this week.

5. McGlam

McGlam Well-Known Member

I'm familiar with the most recent Iceage album and their first, New Brigade, but I missed out on the middle two completely. Something tells me this is pretty transitionary. Beyondless was very different than their first album, it had way more tunes, but I never connected with it emotionally. I still think Shame's album from last year is my favorite of this wave of post-punk revival, but Protomartyr and Idles are great too.

6. Zakattak

Zakattak Well-Known Member

I love Shame, too! Songs of Praise is a good debut album, and they're an amazing live act.

7. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

So I love British post punk from the late 70s/early 80s, especially when it’s from my beloved Manchester! Not at all dialed into current scenes (although I do like Idles but I think of them as more straight punk than post punk...) so I’ll be looking forward to hearing this.

Just about to end a run of Karen O/Yeah Yeah Yeahs CD spins so I think this genre should roll nicely on from there. I’ll give a few preliminary thoughts when I get through a Spotify play of it!

8. bohnjaggs

I won't have a chance to listen to Iceage until tomorrow or Monday but I do like what I've heard of Shame. I hope to be able to see them at Coachella in a few weeks.

9. bohnjaggs

Oh, and it looks like Iceage is playing too ... Nice!

AB2D2FB3-75D5-49AD-A386-AFC0CA562E35.jpeg

10. Vinylnovice

Vinylnovice Well-Known Member

Post punk is about as difficult a genre as you can pick for me but this is exactly what the thread should be about

I’m going in with an open mind!

Phaneronic, NateOEB, Zakattak and 4 others like this.
  11. ponman2003

ponman2003 Well-Known Member

Track1: I’m sucker for that piano in this heavier genre. Dude, every intake of breath from the singer is so loud. It’s like he’s about to dive for pearls every single time.
    Track2: Oh shit is that a banjo? What the hell is going on?! Sweet little duet at the very end.
    Track3: That piano, man! It’s so rambling and loose throughout this tightpace, ..wait is that a cowbell? What is that?? Drums are SLAMMING here.
    Track4: Horns, right in the middle of the track. That’s cool.
    Track5: ooo slowdance time in the basement clubs. Grab your lady and bring her close. Great layers here. Damn it’s a lot to sort through. Oh my god is that banjo back just for ‘strum! strum!’?? That is so playful.
    Track6: huh, military marching percussion. Goes super hard around 1:45 and then again at the end. Only part so far I could see moshing to, and it lasts like 15s. I’m not sure how OP is moshing to this album.
    Track7: is that a windchime in the beginning? Weird. Sweet guttural to start the vocals. Very tight little piece. Probably my favorite so far.
    Track8: I was about to say this is the most boring track so far but WHAT! A strings beat-switch!?!? That’s sick! Is that a viola? Ohhh horns at the end!! Man this album is creative!
    Track9: Hit me with those gutturals to start and you’ve got a winner. Well damn nvm. That is a bit much. The post-punk version of de La Orgy :D that is so sexual sounding. Music is realllly rambling here. Bit of a weak one here imo.
    Track10: Oh you’re just gonna hit me with piano, horns, and strings all together now aren’t you? sticky pudding off. Great album culmination here.
    Track11: filler? This is generic sounding as hell. Cool acoustic solo towards the end.
    Track12: title track to end. Did not live up to expectation. Fine track but that’s a bold thing to do and it’s not a bold track.

Overall: album absolutely KILLS. Sonic surprises around almost every turn. Vocals sounded a bit like drunken harping to start but quickly grew on me. I think they could have put the title track somewhere in the middle, cut track 11 and then ended on that really REALLY nice track10.

Time to dive back in with the lyric sheet!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Phaneronic, bfly, Zakattak and 5 others like this.
  12. bohnjaggs

I'm a sucker for horns and piano too.

13. McGlam

McGlam Well-Known Member

Iceage and Shame are actually playing on a bill together here next month. Last time Shame was here they played with Protomartyr. Both bills would be fantastic to see.

bohnjaggs and Zakattak like this.
  14. bohnjaggs

Listening to this now ... What do the vocals remind me of? Could it be The Clash?

15. bohnjaggs

This is definitely me right now ...

16. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

I like the vocals a lot. (He reminds me of Springsteen and Brandon Flowers). The music is a little all over the place is my initial reaction.

17. TheGun

TheGun Well-Known Member

I was reminded more of a modern indie kind of vocal, like AJJ, Car Seat Headrest, The Smith Street Band or even Courtney Barnett than classic Post-Punk.

lee newman and bohnjaggs like this.
  18. TheGun

TheGun Well-Known Member

Currently in my second listen and this time his voice is striking me as much more opiate influenced. I really love the piano in the first track and then the total contrast with the psychobilly of the second.

19. bohnjaggs

Maybe it reminds me of King Krule. I'll have to give it another listen before the week is up.

20. TheGun

TheGun Well-Known Member

Morrisey on lean.