Red Rocks advice needed (and any other Denver vacation ideas)

Discussion in 'Denver/Boulder, CO' started by tvham, Aug 2, 2018.

1. tvham

tvham Well-Known Member

My sister and I are coming out to see Jason Isbell at Red Rocks on Sept 3. Any suggestions on best transportation to the show? Right now I'm leaning towards a shuttle from these guys:

https://rrxshuttles.com/

$40 each roundtrip...benefit being the pick up and drop off is close to our hotel (Renaissance Denver Downtown City Center) and we won't have to fight the masses for an Uber coming home.

Here's our general plan so far...

Mon 9/3 - land in Denver at 2pm, Red Rocks show that night

Tues 9/4 - Giants v Rockies

Wed 9/5 - eat and drink

Thurs 9/6 - eat and drink

Fri - 9/7 - fly home

Any advice on fun stuff to fill our days would be great! Also, is anyone else going to Isbell and/or baseball that week? It would be great to meet some VMP'ers.

mcherry and The_Third_Man like this.
  2. The_Third_Man

The_Third_Man Member

I might be the wrong guy to ask because my sister and brother-in-law live in Morrison so transportation to and from Red Rocks has never been an issue. But if you are comfortable driving, you can tailgate in the parking lot which is a lot of fun and the line getting out usually isn't too bad. Isbell at Red Rocks should be about as good as it gets, man. Congrats and have a great time!

Any other plans for Wed and Thu? ;)

Also Twist and Shout and Waxtrax are 2 record stores to hit up for sure, and Tattered Cover book store downtown.

tvham and JonnyH like this.
  3. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member

For Rockies tix if it’s an evening game sit upper deck along the first base line so you can view the sunset over the Rocky Mountains. Wear sunglasses. Drink plenty of water. If you’re not from altitude then alcohol is gonna KICK YOUR ASS so drink slowly. If your from sea level then the rule is 1 drink at altitude is equal to 3 for you back home.

Drink plenty of water. Sunscreen is a must.

Boulder is beautiful.

4. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

I have tickets for the Monday game, seeing Lyle Lovett and Gary Clark Jr at Red Rocks the next two days (family is coming in and wanted to do these things)

as stated above drink lots of water and bring sunscreen because you will be a mile closer to the sun (even if it is cool)

you can bring a soft cooler full of food into Red Rocks as well at least you could last time I went

tvham and JonnyH like this.
  5. topofthedial

topofthedial New Member

Beyond the record stores The_Third_Man mentioned, you should check out Recollect Records if you're into soul, funk, jazz, or hip hop. They only carry used records, and they tend to have a better selection (in better condition) than Twist and Shout for those genres.

Denver is a much better food city than it used to be. Check out the restaurants in Union Station and the RiNo neighborhood. I can recommend Hop Alley in particular - it's my current favorite in the city, and I think it rivals some of the best restaurants in San Francisco.

The Nature and Science museum is worth a visit if you're into that kind of thing.

tvham likes this.
  6. craigdino

craigdino Well-Known Member

Recollect is my shop and has the best selection. You will find much more rare stuff here than twist and shout. Wax Trax is super hit or miss and usually overcrowded.

topofthedial likes this.