Reel to Reel?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spammer, May 18, 2018.

1. Spammer

Spammer Well-Known Member

I just went to an estate sale and picked up a reel to reel player and recorder for $200. It’s the same model as this Akai.

I don’t know anything about them besides the fact that they look cool. Anyone have an opinion? Should I expand my vinyl collection to reel to reel?

2. GroovesInMiddleAmerica

GroovesInMiddleAmerica Well-Known Member

You can find tapes for them at garage sales, consignment stores, etc. You're already in for 200 so just try to see if it works and clean it up as needed, have some fun fixing the lights and making sure all the mechanics are good, and keep an eye out for tapes and blank reels. They're somewhat of a pain but kinda fun.

3. Spammer

I thought vinyl was expensive. Some rare reel to reels go for crazy money. It's off to garage sales for me. This thing is a ton of fun. Sounds pretty good, but I only have re-recorded albums from the previous owner. No original albums.

The thing seems to be working perfectly.

displayname likes this.
  4. Phaneronic

Phaneronic Well-Known Member

Well, the thing is a lot of pre-recorded tapes aren't going to sound very good because whereas with vinyl you only have to master it once and then each subsequent record only takes minutes, a tape has to be duplicated in real-time, so they often did it at high speed, hurting frequency response and increasing wow and flutter. It's almost more fun to listen to what you find on recordable tapes or otherwise recording your own…

5. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

I've heard R2R can be THE way to listen to music, but like others have said it can quickly become insanely expensive. If I had access to some tapes I'd absolutely give it a shot. But if I was in your shoes, and confirmed it all worked correctly, I'd be flipping it and putting that money back into my maintainable vinyl hobby. Granted, I say that now, but I might have a much harder time parting with it once it was in my house.

Spammer, Chucktshoes and Phaneronic like this.
  6. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Well-Known Member

This is where my head is at.

Phaneronic likes this.
  7. Spammer

It’s so cool to watch this beast in action with the wheels spinning. I have a younger friend in his 20’s and he came over and flipped out. Had never seen anything like it in his life. I’m most likely keeping it because it turns out this machine is very high end, looks sweet, sounds great, and is a conversation piece now.

Getting tapes is my next challenge...

I’ll probably regret not flipping it when the first piece breaks on it.

Phaneronic and displayname like this.
  8. GroovesInMiddleAmerica

Crazy. Im only a few years out of my 20s and we had one in my house my whole life growing up. My dad has a bunch of reel tapes he recorded right from the radio and would listen to Detroit radio stations from the 70s all the time.

Phaneronic and displayname like this.
  9. djdavedk

djdavedk Well-Known Member

This weekend I picked up two recorders and a box of tapes. Haven’t tested anything yet, I was told both work well. I will probably end up selling one, and perhaps the other, once I am done messing with it.

66A0466D-9E9F-4AC7-9436-FDECD859B31A.jpeg 9CD8A815-84D1-4CF2-AAE5-88F6502D96C6.jpeg 1B10061D-0EBE-469A-AF6C-C32265764A80.jpeg 96C6E3EE-58FC-4346-86EC-9442AFB09A7B.jpeg

Phaneronic and lee newman like this.
  10. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

If you were talking one if these (Technics RS-1500) and had money to restore/upgrade it (so probably $3k into the deck) and tapes from somewhere like The Tape Project- one generation real time copies from the master tape- $450 each) then you are talking the very highest quality you can have at home. Better than vinyl. But given the costs involved, I'll gladly stick with second best.

IMG_2650.JPG

11. topofthedial

topofthedial Member

Does he have any Electrifying Mojo sets? That's historically important stuff, critical to the development of early techno and house. If you have access to them, there would be tremendous value in digitizing and sharing those sets.

12. GroovesInMiddleAmerica

I have no idea. I'm going home for a few days in a few weeks, I'll ask.

Slimwhit, Phaneronic and djdavedk like this.