Rega P6.. The Story of a Guy and his TT

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Slimwhit, Mar 16, 2019 at 10:58 PM.

1. Slimwhit

Slimwhit Well-Known Member

Cleaned out some of my past equipment today, trading in my PLX-1000, my UTurn and my Yamaha R-N803 for a Rega P6 with the Ania cart.

Got it all set up tonight and been listening for a few hours. I’m loving what I’m hearing so far. Seems like online consensus is the cart needs 50-100 hrs break in. But already has a better presentation than my PLX with the Denon 103.

Not breaking any new ground here with this table, but it’s a def step up from the PLX.

SnowmaNick, AnthonyI, cut-out and 5 others like this.
  2. GStephenH

GStephenH Well-Known Member

Time to update your sig :)

AnthonyI, Slimwhit and JoeMac7 like this.
  3. Slimwhit

Spent a pretty significant portion of the day spinning all my favorites on the P6. I’m still extremely pleased and have no doubt that this was a great move.

Whether it be the table or the cartridge, the presentation feels like it had a thin sheet removed. I went from a UTurn to the PLX-1000, and I assumed that when I went back to a belt drive I would lose one of the real strengths of the Pioneer DD, that slam and forcefulness.

In fact, it’s been just the opposite. The Rega has just as strong as a presentation. Bass is much cleaner and more defined. Punchy in a great way.

I’m probably 10 hours in at this point, so a lot more breaking in to do. My only slight issue right now, and it’s minor, is that the top end is a little (very little) bright on certain passages.

I think that will be tamed with my upcoming tube changes. We’ll see.

So far so good for me with this table.

displayname, SnowmaNick and AnthonyI like this.
  4. Slimwhit

done.. (y)

5. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

DeadwaxDude likes this.
  6. Slimwhit

I saw that thread before I purchased.. no bowing on mine.. if that was an actual real life issue, and not someone leaning too hard on it while drunk and changing a record, or hoping to get a free replacement, there would be more than just that one thread about it. I was hard pressed to find others.

GStephenH and HiFi Guy like this.
  7. HiFi Guy

I think it was a real issue- two people on that thread had the issue over 3 samples. One thinks there's not enough support underneath when packed for shipment.

8. Slimwhit

Perhaps.. my assumption is that they have sold tens of thousands of these P6's by now. If it was a real issue, we would see it on more than one forum. I did see it on a second forum, but they were referring back to the first. Anyone could harm any table if they tried hard enough.

I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm dubious to the claims tbh.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  9. HiFi Guy

As long as yours is good, you are good.

GStephenH likes this.
  10. Slimwhit

I did order a Funk Firm Achromat in Orange (3mm) today... I had a Herbies on the PLX, and I don't love the felt mat supplied with the Rega from a cosmetic and static basis.. though it sounds great.

displayname, JoeMac7 and HiFi Guy like this.
  11. Slimwhit

59507C85-A90E-47F0-B3C7-5D4B6EA15E28.jpeg That stack of vinyl in the background means that I had a great day of listening yesterday!